Author Topic: Who says potf2 figures are worthless?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
Who says potf2 figures are worthless?
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »
Here's 2 recent auctions for some of these "horrible" figures

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260200609833

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250203962824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Same winner for both auctions and its not just someone shill bidding.  The winner has had a couple other ebay accounts with many many purchases.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
Re: Who says potf2 figures are worthless?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
Your comparing foreign carded and variant figures to the main POTF2 carded base figures. Not really a fair comparison. For every figure that sells for $40, I can show you 50 that sold for $2 - and how about these:

156 figures for $311.75 average price: $1.99 per figure

13 figures for $16.49 average price: $1.29 per figure

POTF2 figures are - for the most part - worthless. I go to toy shows a lot here in the NJ/NYC area and I can guarantee that every time I go to a show, I'll find at LEAST 4 dealers that have a box or two of orange and green POTF2 figures, asking for anywhere from $2 - $4 per figure. And I can pretty much guarantee that if I walk past when the show opens and they have 20 figures, if I walk past when the show closes they will STILL have 20, maybe 19 left.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »
Yeah you are very much correct.  I didn't really word this topic and my post well.  Mainly just trying to show that some of them do bring crazy amounts still if you get the right people bidding on them and spotlight these 2 recent ones.  That $170 fett sold for less than $20 about 2 weeks ago because it simply wasnt as easy to spot when searching.  I was going to see what kind of reaction the thread got before posting that the buyer does tend to pay top dollar for everything and that these are rather difficult to track down.  The fett has a stand up bubble on the italian card and is usually a square bubble.  The vader i'm kinda stumped on though.  Its hard to get with the ss/lt but its not THAT hard to get.  The buyer must think it could be a microsaber figure as well is all I can come up with.  I actually like that these figures dont bring much like you pointed out normally.  I can't tell you how many of the truly rare variants i've gotten for just a couple bucks simply because the sellers didnt know what they had and sold them as normal potf2 figures.  There are some potf2 that do sell for big bucks but like you said the majority can be had el cheapo.  An auction for a lot with a transition tray luke tatooine went off today or yesterday.  I havent checked the final price yet but I'm sure it would have gotten a lot more if it had been listed separately.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
I wasn't trying to shoot you down Anthony. Just trying to point out that the regular, everyday POTF2 figures are pretty much crap  :D

No doubt people can make a living off of buying items that were mislisted on ebay. I know I've gotten quite a few great deals on some Bob Fett and Hand Solo figures over the years  :P

But yeah, doing the searching through all the $2 figures that people are dumping on ebay and finding that rare variant is definitely going on. Personally, I just don't have the patience to do it most of the time. Plus, they are just so many POTF2 variants, I wouldn't know where to start. I have a lot of the more common ones, from when they were going for more than retail: TIE Pilot with and without sticker, Leia 2 band/3 band belt, etc. I never really went for the SUB variants though. Didn't realize they were so hard to find.

They whisperin about us

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »
Na its totally cool bro I was gonna shoot myself down if no one else did and mention just what you did that most of these are generally not worth much as to not give people the wrong idea about these.  I dont have the patience that some people do with looking for these but I do run a couple searches every now and then and if work is slow i'll check a little more heavily.  There really arent many people at all who collect the bubble variations but there are a few who will drop some serious $$ on em.  I dont really like them but have picked up some when i've found them for cheap.  I like the orange card figures with stand up bubbles because its something that shouldnt be since the stand up bubbles didnt premiere until green carded figures.  Plus there aren't a whole lot of different ones so putting together a set of orange card stand up bubble figures isn't going to take you 10 years to piece together.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:58:19 AM by gorkoracing »

Offline Valsair

• Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +2/-0
  • POTF2 Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:59:57 AM »
Man..they totally aren't worthless. Gotta love the POTF2.

And yeah, people pay some serious bucks on these figures. You'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure a 35 orange card auction just sold for like $100 including shipping a couple days ago--it had about 2 or 3 Boba Fett half-circle variations with the .00 number. That's like..$50 per figure.

POTF2 has been my catalyst for starting up collecting all over again..and I'm happy for it. I don't have that much in comparison to other collectors on here *coughgorkocough* but I've got a few, and a little bit of knowledge..I guess.

As for people selling the variants for the same price as normal figures, I just bought an auction of 6 about a week and a half back that had a Boba Fett with half circles on his hands (.01 number on back.) That's about..$30 on eBay, and I paid about $2.33 and got it by accident.

An auction for a lot with a transition tray luke tatooine went off today or yesterday.  I havent checked the final price yet but I'm sure it would have gotten a lot more if it had been listed separately.
Sure did. It had the Pilot outfit, Dagobah outfit, and the ellusive Tatooine outfit Luke all with transition trays. I was won of the first bidders..heheh ($6.50 for the win!!) It ended up selling for about $260 or so. Which is still amazingly good, because I'm pretty sure that tatooine luke goes for like..at least $500 to the right person, and the other two are easily $30-40 a piece. I'll post a link when I get home. :)

Long live POTF2!

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
Crazy people, IMO I wouldn't pay much for any of them LOL. for $30 I'd rather buy a ship or vehicle.
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
Crazy people, IMO I wouldn't pay much for any of them LOL. for $30 I'd rather buy a ship or vehicle.

I just offered a lady on ebay $30 for a potf2 figure.  Its an error figure tho.  She turned my offer down but said she'd keep it in mind....meaning if no one bids on her auction and there's only about an hr left she might consider it

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I just offered a lady on ebay $30 for a potf2 figure.  Its an error figure tho.  She turned my offer down but said she'd keep it in mind....meaning if no one bids on her auction and there's only about an hr left she might consider it

At which point I would just bid on it, and retract my offer. Of course, that only works if your offer is less than the bid.

They whisperin about us

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »

At which point I would just bid on it, and retract my offer. Of course, that only works if your offer is less than the bid.

What i'm hoping will happen is that the 2 other people that I'm sure will be bidding on this will wait until the end.  The winner of the auctions at the top will most certainly be trying to win it.  I'm hoping that she'll think there's no interest and sell it to me for my offer.  If not then it'll prolly sell for over $100.  I'll post the auction after it ends for everyone.

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
  • What's so wrong about wanting power converters?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
DANG! I've got that Tri-logo carded Vader figure. I bought it 10 years ago when I went to Ireland with my wife before we were even engaged.

Anyone here want to offer me 43 pounds for it?  ;)

:) SUPPORT JEFFERSON'S JEDI! :)

MY FEEDBACK
thejawa.com - Scavenging the Collectibles Galaxy!

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »
How about 43 cents? Or $4.30?

They whisperin about us

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »
DANG! I've got that Tri-logo carded Vader figure. I bought it 10 years ago when I went to Ireland with my wife before we were even engaged.

It's a deal, my dog left me quite a few pounds in the backyard I'll send out right away.  >:D
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
Dang 43 pounds, thats big dog. Sounds like someone has some landmines in there backyard ;D

It's a deal, my dog left me quite a few pounds in the backyard I'll send out right away.  >:D
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
  • What's so wrong about wanting power converters?
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »

:roflmao:

Dude, If your dog left 43 pounds in your backyard you better get him to a vet ASAP!

:) SUPPORT JEFFERSON'S JEDI! :)

MY FEEDBACK
thejawa.com - Scavenging the Collectibles Galaxy!

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »

Dude, If your dog left 43 pounds in your backyard you better get him to a vet ASAP!

hey this prized collection is now yours.......
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »
Yeah I think DarthWormie has a point but that collection is surely freeze dryed outside. ;D

Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
For me it's not the cash value at all. If it were not for the PotF2 figures I would have NEVER got back into collecting. They were good enough at the time, and they'll always have a special place in my collection as I can remember the first couple I bought at the insistance of my wife a fateful dat at a Toys R Us store.  :)  THANKS HON!  :D
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.