Author Topic: Darklord's Collection Room**UPDATE**12/28/10  (Read 14562 times)

Offline Incom

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
Re: Darklord's Collection Room**UPDATE**10/30/08
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
That is one impressive collection displayed in a very neat order. One of the best ways to decorate a room. And that Sandcrawler.... there are no words for it's awesomeness. Marvelous.

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Darklord's Collection Room**UPDATE**12/28/10
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »

Vintage Kenner Death Star Space Stations make an AWESOME Super-playset when you assemble a few of them together in a BIG semi-circle!!
The top floor looks especially cool with all the Laser Cannons side by side!!

"Main Characters"  (non army-builders OR characters not Imperial or Rebel affiliated) are stored in Vintage Kenner vinyl cases of their corresponding films:  At the moment about 8 vinyl cases (for each OT film) are full of main characters.

A NEW HOPE

Custom Uncle Owen Lars

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Custom Bespin Han Solo

Custom Hoth Han Solo

RETURN OF THE JEDI

The new Gammorrean Guards are AWESOME!!  6 so far.

TIE BOMBER squadron.

4  AT-ST "Scout Walkers" Ready to blast Ewoks on Endor!!

The first truly GREAT Big vehicle produced by Hasbro for their STAR WARS line!  The one and only MILLENNIUM FALCON.

I was supposed to do this on Saturday (Christmas day), but I got held up with tons of family stuff.

Then on Sunday our big East coast Snowstorm hit.  It looked like HOTH outside my window!!  And that made it even MORE difficult not to do this!

Yesterday,  I spent the day digging out of the snow and thoroughly cleaning my home. By the end of it all, I was just too exhausted.

But TODAY  I finally did it!  I finally assembled my full AT-AT fleet so that I could sit back and giggle like an idiot!

Five of these walkers are ready to CRUSH the rebels on Hoth, and one is ready to bring Luke Skywalker to Darth Vader on Endor!  ;)

ALL six AT-ATs wear vintage Kenner side guns!

My cats are TERRIFIED!  ;D

My latest 3-3/4 inch scale custom action figure creation (nearing completion): Building a Better Boba Fett

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:15:44 PM by darklord »

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »
You have one awesome collection and we've added it to our section here and hit up the front page as well.  That Han Solo Hoth is the coolest Hoth figure EVER.  :o
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
Wow! Thanks, good buddy!

I'm honored!   ;D

Offline Old Jedi

• Premium
  • Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +13/-0
  • Death to all scalpers!!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:04 PM »
All I can say is WOW!!!! You have a very impressive collection.
Wal-Mart toy dept. you will never find a more wretched hive of scalpers and villainy, We must be cautious.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
Very impressive indeed.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
Awesome! Love all those vintage Vader cases! I expected no less from a guy who's attention to detail on that Fett figure blew my mind!

So I have three questions...

1.) When do we get to see making a better Hoth Han/Besbin Han? I love that real hood!

2.) Why vintage guns on your AT-AT?

3.) When can I come over to play? ;)

Also you can send your spare Death Star Playsets to me... :)

"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
Awesome! Love all those vintage Vader cases! I expected no less from a guy who's attention to detail on that Fett figure blew my mind!

So I have three questions...

1.) When do we get to see making a better Hoth Han/Besbin Han? I love that real hood!  

Hah!  ;D  Thanks!   I'm afraid I never thought to photo document the construction of those two figures.  The mods on Han Solo Hoth Outfit were pretty simple (limited to just making the soft-goods, fur-lined hood), so that would be a really short thread.   A thread on the creation of Han Solo Bespin Outfit might have been a more interesting photo document since he was a reasonably complex action figure to create... although not nearly on the order of Custom Boba Fett. ;D

2.) Why vintage guns on your AT-AT?

Well, from the day I saw the advance photos of the BAT-AT from last year's Toy Fair, I was disappointed with the overly-bulking looking side guns featured on the walker.  Just like the POTF2 AT-AT side guns, they were bulked-up by the inclusion of the "missile launch" mechanism inside them.  I prefer the much more sleek, slender look of the side guns as they appear on the on-screen AT-ATs.  The Vintage Kenner AT-AT side guns are the most accurate guns that have been released for ANY AT-AT toy.  And since AT-ATs do not launch "missiles" from those side guns, that is a feature that I really do not care about.

3.) When can I come over to play? ;)  

Well, PM me whenever you're in NYC, and we'll schedule a date!  You can come right on over! ;D  I'm NOT kidding!  I've entertained plenty of friends upstairs for hours up in the STAR WARS room!  My wife won't mind, and I am always looking for an excuse to hang out up there.  As a High School teacher, I don't get to do it as often as I'd like to.   ::)

4.) Also you can send your spare Death Star Playsets to me... :)

Well, unfortunately, I can't spare any Death Stars or Death Star parts since I promised Lord Vader that I would "...double my efforts..." to put us "... back on schedule..." toward its completion.  ;)

Hey!  That was four questions not three!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:01:12 PM by darklord »

Jedimom

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »
I am so envious! Great collection!

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »
Thanks for answering my 3... er... 4 questions! Ha ha!

I had to sneak one in!

I have to agree on the shooting missiles! Hate that! That's why I really liked the inclusion of the smaller rear gun on the new snow speeder. Gives us an option to choose. Now dare I ask what happened to those poor vintage AT-AT's that were sacrificed?  ;)

Any excuse to hang in fellow troopers Toy Room is a good one in my book! I'll bring beer and Jawa's!  8)

"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

cuyvaldar

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
Jealous comes too mind

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
Thanks for answering my 3... er... 4 questions! Ha ha!

I had to sneak one in!

I have to agree on the shooting missiles! Hate that! That's why I really liked the inclusion of the smaller rear gun on the new snow speeder. Gives us an option to choose. Now dare I ask what happened to those poor vintage AT-AT's that were sacrificed?  ;)

Actually (believe it or not) NO vintage Kenner AT-ATs were sacrificed to get those six pairs of side guns.  See, even back as a kid, I always liked those vintage Kenner Side Guns, and I thought they were pretty accurate looking when compared to the actual guns in the film.  I must say, though, that I thought they were proportionately a little too large for the walker's head.  

Anyhow, I lost my one childhood Kenner AT-AT about 25 years ago (a victim of kidnapping during a move  >:( )

When Hasbro made AT-ATs in 1998, I bought a few, but did not like the side guns.  I spent the last 9 years or so (!) slowly purchasing pairs of vintage Kenner side guns on E-bay to replace the hideously bulky side guns of my POTF 2 AT-ATs.  

Then, in January of this year when the first images of the BAT-AT surfaced, I quietly began to sell off my still mint / boxed POTF 2 AT-ATs to make room for the upcoming new, larger, "official" AT-AT's of my collection.

When I saw the ugly side-guns that the new AT-ATs would have, I held onto the vintage Kenner guns that I had collected, just in case they were nice-looking on the new walkers.  Thankfully they were!  And while they were overly large looking while mounted on the vintage Kenner AT-AT heads, they looked properly proportioned mounted on the heads of the new larger walkers.

Any excuse to hang in fellow troopers Toy Room is a good one in my book! I'll bring beer and Jawa's!  8)

Awesome! but... er... I don't drink beer.  I'd be quite happy with a 2 litre bottle of Sunkist Orange Soda and a pack of Vanilla Oreos!  Jawas I got a PLENTY, but more are always welcome!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:10:22 PM by darklord »

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »
Jealous comes too mind

LOL!   ;D ;D  For some reason, I get that a lot.  But not to worry!  I've got enough love in my heart to go around for everyone... and an open invite to my fellow Sandtroopers passing through Brooklyn to ring me up for a fun play date!  ;D

Offline Dark Clone

• Sandtrooper Mod
  • S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
Dude! I just want to know what you do for a living to be able to afford multiple of EVERYTHING ;D

I love the Vintage Death Star Space Station collection. My favorite as a kid.

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »
Well let's see... I'm just a lowly high school music teacher, makin'  modest wage.  And my wife works in Television also making a modest wage.

It helps that my wife and I have no kids so there's no money to spend there.  

We own our own 7-family house with multiple tenants, and so the income from their rents covers our mortgage.

We've got no vices (cigarettes, drugs, alcohol).  A LOT on cash saved there.

Starfighter quadrons and AT-AT fleet purchases for this collection were spaced out over months and months of time  so that financially they were pretty easy to do.  For example, from the point when they were released in August, I purchased one AT-AT per month until the end of the year, and then treated myself to an extra one for Christmas (presto! 6 BAT-ATs... and 3 terrified cats! ;D ;D ;D).

I also have a tendency to finance parts of this collection by selling off un-wanted or outdated items that used to be part of the collection.  For example, I sold most of the old POTF2 AT-ATs that I owned to partially pay for the new 2010 walkers.

When you set your mind to it, it's not too hard really...  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:07:50 PM by darklord »

Offline Dark Clone

• Sandtrooper Mod
  • S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
Well let's see... I'm just a lowly high school music teacher, makin'  modest wage.  And my wife works in Television also making a modest wage.

It helps that my wife and I have no kids so there's no money to spend there.  

We own our own 7-family house with multiple tenants, and so the income from their rents covers our mortgage.

We've got no vices (cigarettes, drugs, alcohol).  A LOT on cash saved there.

Starfighter quadrons and AT-AT fleet purchases for this collection were spaced out over months and months of time  so that financially they were pretty easy to do.  For example, from the point when they were released in August, I purchased one AT-AT per month until the end of the year, and then treated myself to an extra one for Christmas (presto! 6 BAT-ATs... and 3 terrified cats! ;D ;D ;D).

I also have a tendency to finance parts of this collection by selling off un-wanted or outdated items that used to be part of the collection.  For example, I sold most of the old POTF2 AT-ATs that I owned to partially pay for the new 2010 walkers.

When you set your mind to it, it's not too hard really...  ;D ;D ;D
Very impressive. I've seen alot of collections before, but never seen one with so many duplicates. Well done my friend.

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »
Very impressive. I've seen alot of collections before, but never seen one with so many duplicates. Well done my friend.

Thanks for the props Dark Clone!  Greatly appreciated!  ;D

There is actually a method to my madness regarding the many duplicates in the collection.

You see, my style of (strictly OT) collecting is based on the pattern I fell into (as a 10 year old boy) when I started collecting back in 1977:  Re-enact the Movies with the toys.  As a 43 year old man, that ship has certainly sailed  ;D ;D ;D .

But anyway, for me, that collecting pattern meant acquiring every beast and playset environment from the movies, fleets and squadrons of spaceships and fighters, and all action figure characters (about 3000 or so) loose. In my collection, there are armies of Rebel and Imperial Troops, of course.

But there are also only ONE of each main character in their particular outfits from a specific film.  And quite a few of those main characters are custom figures.

Some friends have declared my collection as the biggest and most impressive they've ever seen ;D.  Well, to those dear friends I always say that in the community of STAR WARS memorabilia collectors, my collection is actually one of the smaller ones.  Guys like Jkno, Phil Wise, Steve Sansweet... those are the truly hardcore collectors with HUGELY amassed collections. Me?  I don't even come close.

Like some of you, I cycle "outdated" items out of the collection (through re-sale) just to keep it a manageable size.

While my collection is waaay small (in terms of Super-collecting), I am so gratified by the years of happiness that it has brought to me, the friends I've made with it, and the magical wonder of a child that it has kept alive in my heart.  I even met my lovely wife 24 years ago partially because of this collection. You can sure never put a price on those kind of memories.

Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year everyone!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:02:30 PM by darklord »

Offline Boba Binks

• VIP
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +12/-0
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo.
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »
That is some collection! Thank you for sharing.
<br />Boba Binks - The most feared Bounty  Hunter on Naboo.<br /><br />View my Sandtroopers.com <a href=\\\\\\\"http://djsyczylo.net/sandtroopers/STPortfolio.htm\\\\\\\" target=\\\\\\\"_blank\\\\\\\">Portfolio</a>.

Offline darklord

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
You're quire welcome Boba Binks!  The pleasure is mine!  ;D