Author Topic: Latex mold casting  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Hothchad

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +125/-0
Latex mold casting
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:24:48 PM »
I am starting this thread for a tutorial on casting by making a latex mold of an item.  This type of casting can be used on a number of different items depending on size and thickness of the item to be molded.  The item I will show will be an imperial chair that Trooper Rodger made out of wood.  I made a mold out of latex and then by using a bondo/resin casting mix made an exact copy of the chair.  I'll first start out by by listing the items you will need for the mold and casting mix.  To make the mold you will need some liquid latex.  I bought mine from a store called d**k Blicks Art Supply.  It cost about $10 for a quart.  They have a web site which you can also order it from.  This latex cannot be shipped during the winter months.  I would think any art supply store would also carry it.  The casting mix can be bought at Walmart and under $10 for each part.  It is a 2 part mix of Bondo and fiberglass resin.  Will also need some plastic cups, mixing sticks, sand, hot glue gun,wood dowel, cheap small paint brush.  Stay tuned for more instructions and photos.
Failure is not in my vocabulary

Offline 704Scorch

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
Re: Latex mold casting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
Thanks for the new thread Chad. It's always cool to pick up new techniques and tips from other customizers. Looking forward to the rest of the article. :clap:
"Is The Dark Afraid Of You?"

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »
I did some latx molding several months back. Got alot of tips from ReconSGT. I made a complete Rep Comm with DC-17 and pack, several heads, many RepComm and Stormie helmets. That was about it. It was alot of fun. But, at the end of the day, the hassle and cost didn't weigh out for me. I still have al the stuff and maydabble again in the future but for now I'm done.
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Offline Hothchad

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +125/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
RC, what part of the process was the high cost?  Was it the casting material?
I did some latx molding several months back. Got alot of tips from ReconSGT. I made a complete Rep Comm with DC-17 and pack, several heads, many RepComm and Stormie helmets. That was about it. It was alot of fun. But, at the end of the day, the hassle and cost didn't weigh out for me. I still have al the stuff and maydabble again in the future but for now I'm done.

Offline TAMER

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +133/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:59:52 PM »
Man does this sound like a great idea starter. I gotta get some of those chairs off of ya. Can these by cast in some type of clear resin?

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »
RC, what part of the process was the high cost?  Was it the casting material?

Yeah, the materials and the whole learning process. For every 1 successful product, i turned out about 5 wasters. Like I said, I really enjoyed the whole thing but for me the benefits didnt outweigh the results.
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
  • Nuke em till they glow & shoot em in the dark!!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »
I am starting this thread for a tutorial on casting by making a latex mold of an item.  This type of casting can be used on a number of different items depending on size and thickness of the item to be molded.  The item I will show will be an imperial chair that Trooper Rodger made out of wood.  I made a mold out of latex and then by using a bondo/resin casting mix made an exact copy of the chair.  I'll first start out by by listing the items you will need for the mold and casting mix.  To make the mold you will need some liquid latex.  I bought mine from a store called d**k Blicks Art Supply.  It cost about $10 for a quart.  They have a web site which you can also order it from.  This latex cannot be shipped during the winter months.  I would think any art supply store would also carry it.  The casting mix can be bought at Walmart and under $10 for each part.  It is a 2 part mix of Bondo and fiberglass resin.  Will also need some plastic cups, mixing sticks, sand, hot glue gun,wood dowel, cheap small paint brush.  Stay tuned for more instructions and photos.

sounds cheaper than what I'm using. how long does it take for the bondo/resin to set up?

Offline Hothchad

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +125/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »
Clonehead, it takes about 5 minutes to set up enough to pull it from the mold.  It all depends on how much hardner you mix in.

Offline Hothchad

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +125/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 07:35:14 PM »
a couple shots of the products.

Offline Hothchad

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +125/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
Having problems posting the pics again, so here is the info on the pics.  The top pic is of the bondo casting mix.  Both can be purchased at walmart for under $10 each.  The second pic is of the liquid latex used in making the mold.  It can be bought at most art supply stores and online.  It runs around $10 a quart.  The third pic is of the chair dissasembled with the dowels hot glued on.  When deciding on how to mold and cast an item, you must decide on what part you are going to leave open as to pouring in the casting mix.  It should be an area that is not very visable.  The bottem of the chair is where the opening will be to pour in the mix.  The purpose for hot gluing on the dowel is to be able to hold the chair while you are brushing on the latex and also once the latex is on, you can place the dowel in a vise to let it dry between coats.  The post and base were molded in one piece, but due to the thinness of the base, could not get the bases from not warping using this casting mix.  More pics and details to come.

Offline Rodger

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • I warn you not to under estimate my power !!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 05:26:05 PM »
Were waiting !!  :whistle: