Author Topic: my first mold for resin casting  (Read 14691 times)

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
  • Nuke em till they glow & shoot em in the dark!!
my first mold for resin casting
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:14:49 PM »
I thought that I should open a new thread about resin casting as I have been casting now for a while with 5-6 molds made and part numbers in the 30s. I still havent learned or perfected the tecniques required for a perfect cast everytime, but am troubleshooting the process, and perhaps together, we can all learn something new about it.  I will start with a pic of my very first resin-casting mold. In the pic, you can see me extracting a solid resin bacura head from the mold with a drill bit.

Using products and instruction from the Alumilite Corp., I chose a clear plastic packaging blister pack to be the mold box to hold the master parts and mold material. This mold-box needs to be waterproof and deep enough to allow 1-2 inches of material covering your master parts.  I took two cloneheads and secured them neck down to the inside bottom of blister pack with a drop of superglue. Then I mixed enough of the mold material and the supplied catalyst till even color was achieved. Pouring slowly, pour around your parts untill fluid level completely covers parts by 1-2 inches. You may tap side of container to vibrate out air bubbles. The silicoln rubber RTV mold will be ready to cast from in as little as 4 hrs, but i would let it set overnight.  When it's time to remove the mold from your mold-box, the mold-box usually gets trashed, so make it something disposable. Carefully remove master parts from mold if they didnt come out when you tore the mold-box apart.
  Now, i inspected the cavities where the part is to be cast for any foregn matter , and trimmed the holes for ease of pouring if necessarry.
and your ready to do a test casting!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
Re: my first mold for resin casting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »
wrong pic ill try again

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:27:18 AM »
RTV mold making is a great way to make long lasting molds, The great thing about buying from Alumalite is they can help taylor the proper resins, mold making materials to your skill range and desired outcome. For beginners I would recommend getting a set up time that is a little longer so that it takes into account the slower speed at getting the process right. Also it is so important to read all directions when using a product.

When buying resins, the skin tone can be set right from the supplier, helping to reduce the stress of coloring yourself, however if you like that they offer a wide range of tones to tint the white resins, this helps greatly in the painting if the finished cast.

Also I know alot of folks use legos to build the boxes to hold the mold, they just simply reuse after the mold is dry.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
Legos!!! what a great idea! Now why didn't lego suggest that? LOL
  How could I taylor the hardening speed of this resin without changing its first mixed, runniest viscosity?
Changing the temp to cooler makes the resin too thick for it to help.

I've been using used cigarette packages for mold boxes,standing upright, cut in half with waterproof cellophane for the mold box. You can use an extra pack box to store your molds, or, if you choose to make 2 or 3 piece molds like this.....as in splitting the mold around the cast pieces for extraction, and putting it back together for the next pour...,the outer sheath of the pack will hold pieces of the one complete mold in place. real 2 piece molds are more complicated than this, and would involve several more steps. I havent tried one of those yet. :)

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »
  How could I taylor the hardening speed of this resin without changing its first mixed, runniest viscosity?

I don't believe there is a way to do that. It all depends on the actual resin/plastic that you are using. I personally like the Smooth-On 300 series liquid plastic. The 305 has a working time of 7 minutes, which gives you plenty of time to pour your plastic into your mold, and then "work" the bubbles out. The 300 has a pot life of only 3 minutes, which goes by very quickly, let me tell ya  :(

As for the mold containers, I like to use the little plastic cups that jello and pudding come in. You get a nice tasty treat first, and then you can use the cup to pour some rubber. Then you just cut the cup away and voila! Finished mold.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
Good idea with the pudding cups!
  I've got to try that resin..my mix has only 1 min mixed pot time, and 2-5 max for initial hardening.
its pointless to mix more than 30 cc or so as i cant gravity pour that fast. Ive seen it flash harden in mid stream, as if Midas had touched it. :-[    I have the inclings of a half disposable injection process thought up mabey, but should experiment some and make a proper injection type mold to try it.
  Also I've noticed that thin cut vertical slits in the mold down to your troublesome airpocket spots will help with the worst trapped air areas, and was inspired by your critique, to try the airbrush compressor on the table vibration technique, as I'm pouring to help work the bubbles out. Everythings cool till the resin gets thick. I'll have to try that other stuff.  Where can I find it?

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »
This s**t is way over my head.  :surrender:

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 09:40:52 PM »
I usually buy my stuff at a local arts and crafts store called "Pearl" - I think they may be national, so you may have one near you. Or you can buy these products online direct from Smooth-On. I use the Oomoo30 Mold Making Rubber and the Smooth Cast 300 Series plastics. The plastic cures white, but can be colored while you mix parts A & B with a selection of dyes that are sold by Smooth-On.

Those are the only products I've used because those are the only ones that Pearl stocks. I'm sure that some of the other rubbers are probably great, but I've never seen any of them. Just be careful, because I know that some of the products that Smooth-On makes are somewhat professional, and cost some $$... as well as have crazy mix ratios. The two products above use a 1:1 ratio, which makes it easy for beginners and hobbyists like us to use them easily. But I know that some of their stuff needs to be measured out on a gram scale at a 1:8 or 1:10 ratio, so unless you have a scale, stay away from those.

I've never ordered from them directly, but unless you can find a local art store who carries these products, it might be your only choice. I'll post some pics of my molds and casts tomorrow. I'm no pro at this (yet  ;) ) but these products are the easiest I've used yet. I tried a few other casting and molding items that I had absolutely zero success with. I know I used something from Alumilite that was crap, and then there was something else that I can't remember... but this stuff is really really good.

They whisperin about us

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 05:07:51 AM »
thanks for the info. I've never heard of a pearl store before, but will look in my two major chains...hobby lobby and micheals for the materiels you mentioned.  I have tried plaster molding before, but with much less success than the rubber.  Made 2 more cigarette box molds last night! cant wait to try their first cast!
  pic question.....have xp and many commen media programs, whats the easiest way to resize my pics as I copy/move to another file?  I have many pics that are too large to post.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:00:55 AM »
You're probably not going to find these at Michaels... I've checked at two different ones near where I live with no luck. I don't know any Hobby Lobby stores, so you might find it there.

They whisperin about us

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »
going to post pics of lastnights rtv mold making, and of the first castings. I opened a new set of resin bottles and see that shelf life is a factor. This batch is working better for me than the last!!
I'll bet I know who is going to get the first samples ;D

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 11:22:50 AM »
i posted these pics in a diorama thread today, and needed to post them here.
  this is the morph head that I made out of sections of two of my resincast helmets cut to fit and be superglued together to make one new style helmet. This is the outer shell minus the facemask of a cody merged with the eyes and face shroud of a galactic marine. I'm going to paint up this one for a custom i'm posting in-progress  building pics of in the dio thread.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 05:31:21 PM »
I finally did it!  I used sections of two different resin helmets to come up with this one, and then, made a mold of it. You shall be here with me for the first casting of this all-new removable helmet, sized to fit the larger clone head like on the 501st figure. Wish me luck

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 05:36:27 PM »
And now for the reveal!  after a little cleanup with a sharp hobby knife, here's what you got.
  The one on the left in all 3 shots is the master I made out of two pieces. The one on the right is the first casting of the master!!  I am pleased, and can't wait to mold more morph heads.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »
Very nice for sure, great job!
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 07:07:27 PM »
Thanks Darth Spice!
  Are you not at C4?

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 12:11:58 AM »
Thanks Darth Spice!
  Are you not at C4?
Hopefully not, or he'd be a month early. ;)
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
Oops, I thought it was this month. duh :P

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »
Are you into meshing all sorts of helmets together?
Because I thought that the face of the Ariborne trooper attached to the biker scout face area would look cool, if you can picture it?
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 06:07:58 AM »
Yeah, I have been cutting sections of different, resin cast heads and helmets so they can be combined together in different ways.I'ts fun as hell! I have even made a new mold of one of the combined helmets, so I can cast it as one piece. There are so many combonations available to me now, That sounds like a great looking idea, Masterfett,  Do you think he should have the cowl of the scout's visor over the eyes, or should I just allow the longer visor of the airborne to continue accross, to end about where the side vent is next to airborne visor? I will have to try one of those.  I have this scorch head with a nose and mouthpiece insert from an airborne that looks tough. And there is one more which just looks so cool, I can't show you now, but you will see him soon.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »
It's been a bit since I posted here, and have learned more still about this process, with even harder castings looking possible, and the inclusion of a couple techniques that I didn't try untill I had been doing it for a while.
   First, I had to show you something that only a person like me would notice......I got this great Star Wars AOTC Clone with Speeder Bike set the other day, that features removable armor plates and a hollow AOTC clone helmet, Peices that I had to have!!! I opened the set up like a hungry rancor, greedily examining all the parts for their customizing possibilities, when I came accross a shape in one of the castings, that I have known since my youth. After some digging, I realized that the Electro Grenade, included with this set, and thrown by the clone's whip-arm action, was in fact a Road Wheel off of a 70s 1/35th scale German WW2 Panzer model kit. I have built and seen many versions of this tank and this kit, all with this style roadwheel within the tracks. It turns out the exact wheel piece was on a model in my display case that I built years ago.  Now, this is something that I would have done. The wheel-piece was altered, and used to make the master mold for this piece.  Interesting that they would use a piece like this, Moldmaker must be a modeler.

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 10:56:19 AM »
Amazing! I never would have know that.
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
Its been a while since I posted here, and I wanted to update a bit.
  I just made 3 new molds the other day that I am still troubleshooting for bubble free parts.
Here are some shots of a casting of the 30th stormtrooper helmet that turned out fairley well.
  I've been having trouble with the mold that casts the tuning fork piece of the chaingun assembally, and came up with this alternate configuration that I made into one piece with superglue.
  Also I've been casting some neck and nub pieces, for mounting the neck on another figures body.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
another shot of the alternate chaingun configuration. This gun is too troublesome to offer to you troopers, yet. But I'll tell you what......to celebrate ST.com's 7th birthday, during the month of August, any trooper who wants one of these tac stormie casts, need only to send me a self adderessed stamped envelope, and I will mail one to you. PM me for my addy, and you send me the sase envelope.
  United We Find!  :td:

Jokebofe, Just a reminder of your addy would do.  ;)

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »
another shot of the alternate chaingun configuration. This gun is too troublesome to offer to you troopers, yet. But I'll tell you what......to celebrate ST.com's 7th birthday, during the month of August, any trooper who wants one of these tac stormie casts, need only to send me a self adderessed stamped envelope, and I will mail one to you. PM me for my addy, and you send me the sase envelope.
  United We Find!  :td:

Jokebofe, Just a reminder of your addy would do.  ;)

what a trooper, giving back to the community!

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline Sandtrooper Dan

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
  • Sandtroopers.com Graphito Suprema!
    • Sandtroopers.com-Your fair and balanced Star Wars news source.
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
what a trooper, giving back to the community!

No doubt, very cool indeed CloneHead.  :thumbup:
Sandtroopers.com -Your fair and balanced Star Wars news source.

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 12:53:02 PM »
I have been looking at this carving tool-set in the craft section of wal-mart for a while now, wondering if it would help me with the tedious chore of hollowing out a pegged resin helmet to fit over a clone's head. I used to use drillbits and the ole x-acto to do this, but these wood carving chisels make it possible in half the time. As the first test of my new tools, I have hollowed out this resin AT-AT drivers helmet to fit over the clone-head of a Galactic Marine fig. This act should both please and tease poor Tamer at the same time, as he has been wanting an at-at driver with a removable helmet for some time now.  >:D
  Relax, BA. The latest update on your figure's progress will come a little later, today.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 01:01:06 PM »
Wow, Clint... if you're hollowing helmets with a chisel and a drill you really need to invest in a Dremel tool. Makes things like that soooo much easier.

They whisperin about us

Offline CloneHead

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 01:04:36 PM »
Oh, I got one, Dave, but need to upgrade to a cordless. I wonder, will the resin try to melt from the heat of too much friction, the same way that styrine plastic does when I go to cut it with a dremel?

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 01:06:33 PM »
Not in my experience. The resin is a bit different from the plastic.

I know what you mean about the cordless... mine is still the old school, corded version. But I'm so used to it, that I don't dare change.

They whisperin about us