Author Topic: Hasbro wants our Questions:  (Read 643436 times)

Offline lordabell

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +23/-0
Re: Hasbro wants our Questions:
« Reply #1140 on: January 27, 2008, 08:10:45 AM »
Dear Hasbro,
How far into '08 will the basic '07 TAC later waves (7, 7.5, and 8) ship?  With reports of '08 wave 1 already coming out of California I am worried because our area in the midwest has barely seen any of waves 7-8.  I am afraid that if the late waves continue to ship into '08, it will keep the '08 figures from hitting the pegs that are still full with Legends (and no, the stores stock the figures as 1 line not 2 different SKUs they stock what they have on any peg not the seperate pegs for the two lines).

If you want to change it before being submitted, go for it...
"If there is a center to the collectors universe, I am in the city that is the farthest from."

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #1141 on: February 01, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
There was a special announcement this week with the returned questions:

We have previously announced that there would be three waves of our 30th Anniversary basic figures in Spring.  That has now been changed - there will be only two.  The last wave (on shelf approx. early March) will be The Force Unleashed wave.  Due to some last minute delays, the previous third wave has been picked up and moved to the new Fall basic figure line. Nothing will be bumped from the Fall line....these will just be added in. Fans should not worry as all figures will be coming to the shelf, including General Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Saesee Tiin, Clone Scuba trooper, and more.  More details on this assortment will be released at Toy Fair.  Similarly, due to production delays, we are pushing back the debut of the next wave of comic packs (including Anakin/Durge and Asaaj/Tol Skorr) until fall as well, but all announced packs *will* be coming out.

Also, previously we announced that the new Obi-Wan and Darth Vader/Anakin figures from our Wave 1 '08 30th Anniversary Wave (now shipping to retail) would not have new articulation.  In fact, they do indeed have enhanced hip articulation (ball and socket) and are great upgrades over the original. Collectors should look to these for their increased poseability.

THE latest:

1) It sounds like a lot of fans have never seen certain 'waves' of figures at retail. We constantly see people in our forums saying "Did wave 6 ever hit in New Jersey?" or "Has anybody seen wave 8 in Ohio?" and comments to that liking. Can you tell us if there was some kind of mix up with distribution during the TAC line in 2007, and if those fans who haven't seen some of the later waves with the coins will still have a chance to get them? Or should they be scrambling to ebay to pay $10+ per figure for everything that they've missed?

In theory, all waves ship to all retailers at the same (or about the same) time, with the same proportionate share.  What actually happens at retail is affected by what actually gets shipped from the retail DCs (distribution centers) to individual stores. We know that at this level, individual wave information cannot be tracked and it's more of a "first in
first out" approach.  We checked what is still shipping, and learned that while '08 Wave 1 has been going out, we will be shipping additional resupplies of Wave 6, 7.5, and 8 as well.

2) While there are collectors still clamoring for R2-D2 to be released using the R4-G9 mold, I'm wondering if Hasbro will continue to simply reuse the existing R4-G9 and VotC R2-D2 molds for the next few years. Are you planning any innovations with a new R2 mold in the near future? And will Hasbro continue to alternate between the VotC reflective dome and the brushed metal dome or focus only one one style?  I'm a huge fan of the V otC dome (for the nostalgia) but I've noticed that there is also an equally large camp who like the more canonical brushed metal look.

Will think fans will be pleased with what we have coming up.  For the most part we plan to use the same bodies we have been using, with one exception: there will be one upcoming R2-D2, debuting late this year featuring an R4-G9 body.  It won't be a single-carded figure but part of another set.

3) I've been a big fan of the RotS Obi-Wan Pilot figure - it has great sculpting and all the articulation any fan could want but I was a bit disappointed to learn that the retooled Obi-Wan for 2008 didn't fix one glaring flaw: the figure has pencil-thin legs! Surely with all his running and jumping around, Obi put on a bit more muscle than that. Is there any chance Hasbro could redo the legs and also perhaps not spread out the legs as much? You'd then have an excellent generic Jedi body to kitbash other Jedi figures from.

We have good news for you. The Obi-Wan figure in our current Wave 1 uses the original Pilot body, but adds significant new articulation (ball and socket waist) for more poseability (previously, we had announced there would be soft goods changes, but no tooling, so this is a reversal of that previous statement).  So the lower torso is all new and improved.  As to whether Obi-Wan's legs are beefier, we'll leave that open for you to make comparisons.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:53:40 PM by Darth Spice »
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline White Rabbit a.k.a. Desfiy

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
« Reply #1142 on: February 02, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »
1) When are we likely to see any single carded OT Figures, seeing that Wave 3 has been put back to the fall?

2) Is it possible for you to do an accurate Lando Calrissian (Bespin), Lando Calrissian (Smuggler Outfit) and Lando Calrissian (General/Pilot) as it seems Lando is getting shafted, were all the other characters are getting the SA treatment, for example VOTC Lando Calrissian no SA, however Leia, Han and Luke get it even Chewbacca, I need a Lando in my collection from Bespin?

3) Are you planning on revisiting the Original Clone Wars for character ideas, the reason I ask is that you have released Wave 3 full of these, and I must say way to go, you converted me from hating the Prequels, to liking it in part well the Clone Wars Cartoon part at least?

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #1143 on: February 03, 2008, 01:29:21 PM »
In regards to Hasbro's answer about R2... it's a shame that a R4-G9 R2 isn't coming on basic card, but really more a shame that Hasbro still isn't evolving their sculpts to include a manual periscope (which IMO should be a must).  Has anyone started speculating on what pack this new R2 is coming in?  I keep thinking it might be part of that new Falcon for some reason, or perhaps the rumored X-Wing fighter. Nothing else comes to mind.

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #1144 on: February 04, 2008, 06:03:43 AM »
Dear Hasbro,

With the release of the TAC 07 Jawas and Ewoks, it's obvious you have made great advances in the technology of producing small scaled sized figures with accurate features and much improved articulation. With that in mind, any chance in teh future you will revisit the AOTC Juvenile Boba Fett figure and the AOTC Clone Youth figures? The Boba lacked alot of articulation and the face sculpt doesnt look remotly like Daniel Logan... not to mention the mullet it's sporting. And, the AOTC Clone Youth was an awesome pack in with the Kaminoan. However, it has all the play and pose appeal of the 07 Moisture Evaporator. It just stands there. Well, I guess it could turn it's head. If these two figres were re done, I think you'd have some sellers on your hands!
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
« Reply #1145 on: February 04, 2008, 10:46:09 PM »
Leading off from RC's Question on the Jawa you produced last Year, it would surely be easy to do a A New Hope Kabe and Maybes Resculpt Muftak.

Offline A.D.I.T.L.1979

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • "Nefarious"
    • Erik's Myspace
« Reply #1146 on: February 05, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
Here's a more specific Original Trilogy figure question:

Considering the popularity of the Cantina figures w/ curved bar sections featured in TAC, is Hasbro planning more Cantina-themed releases in 2008, or even beyond?

Erik
"Why so serious?"--The Joker, as played by Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #1147 on: February 05, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
Somehow I'd have to be sure that's been asked already. Not 100% but I'd wager it has. I can probably answer it though.

We won't reveal much until after Toyfare, but we may revisit this down the road in 2008.  ;D 8)

Could I get a gig there or what?  >:D
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline A.D.I.T.L.1979

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • "Nefarious"
    • Erik's Myspace
« Reply #1148 on: February 05, 2008, 01:37:08 PM »
Somehow I'd have to be sure that's been asked already. Not 100% but I'd wager it has. I can probably answer it though.

We won't reveal much until after Toyfare, but we may revisit this down the road in 2008.  ;D 8)

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, but who knows?  How about a Cantina "Battlepack"...or even a Cantina-themed Evolutions (Elan Sleazebaggano, Baron Papanoida, and BoShek)?  The Cantina is, for some reason, my favorite action figure setting, considering the diversity of options you have.  I'm psyched for even four or five Cantina figs a year, and I'm sure other collectors are, as well.

Erik
"Why so serious?"--The Joker, as played by Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #1149 on: February 05, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, but who knows?  How about a Cantina "Battlepack"...or even a Cantina-themed Evolutions (Elan Sleazebaggano, Baron Papanoida, and BoShek)?  The Cantina is, for some reason, my favorite action figure setting, considering the diversity of options you have.  I'm psyched for even four or five Cantina figs a year, and I'm sure other collectors are, as well.

Erik

Woudn't that be called a Cantina "party" pack?  ;)
In each  cantina pack I'd like to see some of the "behind bar" accessories. or the wall with a hole in it that GReedo shoots, hell, even a bloody arm on the floor..........
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
« Reply #1150 on: February 05, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »
Actually I would like to see them re-release the 3D Cantina, but with the Actual Bar Pieces included (Plastic Ones), A New Wuher, A New Dr Evazan and A New Ponda Baba.

Also would like Chalmun released seeing its his Cantina.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:26:51 PM by The White Rabbit (AKA: Desfiy) »

Offline sithmasterc

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1151 on: February 11, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »
Dear Hasbro,

Is wave 1 of the 2008 a Walmart exclusive?They seem to be the only retail chain to get them in.Alos Walmart is the only store to get the long display boxes as well.Whats the deal.Also,unreltated to Star WArs I am finding it very very difficult in finding wave 5 of the GI Joe Comic packs.A lot of reports are coming in about people finding them but they have not hit our area yet.I live in the south east.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #1152 on: February 15, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »
Just a friendly reminder Troops, no Q & A until next week due to Toy Fair.

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
« Reply #1153 on: February 15, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Hasbro will the AT-TE be an exclusive?

Ask this one at the Toy Fair, joka..
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #1154 on: February 15, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
Yeah, right after I ask if  TAC 08 wave 1 is exclusive.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
« Reply #1155 on: February 16, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »
LOL

then after you done asking pull out your tape.....
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #1156 on: February 17, 2008, 09:02:42 PM »
Hasbro

According to your slideshow presentation at toyfair there will only be 30 figures in the legacy collection. Are the 6 walmart 2-packs that contain pieces of C-3PX part of the 30 or are they seperate?

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #1157 on: February 17, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
Seperate.

They whisperin about us

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #1158 on: February 17, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
good but it still sucks that they r only putting out 4 waves of non-animated figures. i guess six if u count the first 2 waves of the 2008 tac collection.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #1159 on: February 17, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »
might only be 4 waves (or 6) but it's a shitload of figures overall when you combine them with the CW figures. Close to - if not over - 70 for the year.

They whisperin about us

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #1160 on: February 18, 2008, 01:42:59 AM »
i dont count the cw figures cause i dont like the animated style.

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #1161 on: February 18, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »
Dear Hasbro,
When our guys came back from Toy Fair 08, they had this picture...

Can you explain what this is? Obviously it appears to be the Fett Legacy Evo set however, the colors are wrong. Are you just releasing Boba and Jango with a Mandalore in "Never before seen colors"? Or is this going to be a repack as a Mandalorian Evo set? Or, did someone do a negative flip with the colors?
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #1162 on: February 18, 2008, 10:15:41 PM »
what questions did sandtroopers/jawa send in? the reason i ask is because i was reading the questions asked at toyfair on rs and this was one of the questions and answers.

Question: What about Star Wars exclusives?

Hasbro: SDCC will see 2 exclusives: a Mighty Muggs Commander Gree, and a light-up, sound effect Emperor Palpatine hologram with Darth Vader kneeling from the scene in The Empire Strikes Back....Be sure to check out TheJawa/Sandtroopers in the next regular round of the Q&A session for more info on this. I promised Nick I wouldn't say anything else. ;)

you guys have any idea what they r talking about?

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #1163 on: February 19, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
We are just as stumped as you guys, as I don't recall. Looking thru the last round that was sent (and delayed because of Toy Fair) I do not see what this is referring to. Perhaps they confused Nick (formerly of the Jawa) with the Jawa, but I've heard he's freelancing for Jedi Temple Archieves. They are the site that broke the Exclusive Executor wide open in a QnA session of theirs. I guess we'll just have to stay tuned! I'll double check our questions again but again I'm pretty sure it's a mistake. Here is what was sent in last round:

Sandtroopers:

Q: As I'm sure you are aware, there are many talented customizers - sculptors, painters, builders, etc. - that spend hours and hours sitting in their workshops (or at their kitchen tables) creating toys (and not just Star Wars toys, either).  What does it take for someone to get a job working for Hasbro, sculpting or painting toys, designing packaging, and the like?

Q: Have you (or would you) ever consider running a promotion allowing a few lucky Hasbro fans access to see the behind the scenes world of Hasbro? Seeing the process that goes into the planning, designing, testing and production of an action figure first hand would be very interesting to a lot of fans.

Q:How far in advance do you usually begin work on a figure before it's actual release? Is it already decided which figures will be in 2009's line? The reason I'm asking is because from what I've heard, the live-action TV series will probably be starting in the fall of next year. With the TV series not even having any actors cast at this point (at least to my knowledge), will you have enough time to get those figures made and have them ready to sell by the time the show airs?

The Jawa:

Q: The 2006 Christmas release of the Imperial Shuttle was great. We've seen the Imperial Landing Craft in lego form, how about in 3 3/4" form. Any plans to do so?

Q: We are starting to get reports of the 2008 TAC figures showing up at Wal-Marts already. I thought these were slated to start shipping in March - what gives?

Q: Is the latest delay of The Force Unleashed video game going to delay the action figures yet again?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:18:25 AM by Darth Spice »

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #1164 on: February 19, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »
Dear Hasbro,
When our guys came back from Toy Fair 08, they had this picture...

Can you explain what this is? Obviously it appears to be the Fett Legacy Evo set however, the colors are wrong. Are you just releasing Boba and Jango with a Mandalore in "Never before seen colors"? Or is this going to be a repack as a Mandalorian Evo set? Or, did someone do a negative flip with the colors?

PJ, like I've already told you, several of the pictures on the thumbdrive we were given were reversed negatives, and all the colors were messed up. We pulled most of them before they made it to the web, but that one slipped through.

They whisperin about us

Offline philippi

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +1/-0
« Reply #1165 on: February 21, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
I have a few questions about the new white Darth Vader figure shown at Toy Fair. First, does he have a removable helmet? In some of the pictures that I've seen, it looks like he might. Second, is there any chance that his lightsaber could be changed to blue insted of red? It seems like that if he went and had a new set of armor made to get away from the black Sith look, that he would want to stop using a red Sith lightsaber as well.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:42:56 PM by philippi »

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #1166 on: February 27, 2008, 01:23:16 PM »
The latest:

Q: As I'm sure you are aware, there are many talented customizers - sculptors, painters, builders, etc. - that spend hours and hours sitting in their workshops (or at their kitchen tables) creating toys (and not just Star Wars toys, either).  What does it take for someone to get a job working for Hasbro, sculpting or painting toys, designing packaging, and the like?

We'll tackle each of the disciplines one at a time, since they are a little different.  The large majority of our designers and sculptors have industrial design backgrounds, and there are several great schools that specialize in this and with which we have a strong relationship when it comes to internships, etc. We look for folks with solid all-around skills and ability.  This includes work with diverse materials, incorporate features, and cost management.  We look for a very diversified skill set as it is very rare for a designer to stay on one line for more than a couple years before moving to the next assignment; they could be working on girls toys, vehicles, or any other type down the road. For painters, we have a small team in house that handles our painting needs, but we do contract with outside resources to handle the workload.  When evaluating painters, we have hired a wide range, including a wide range of backgrounds from fne artist to hobbyist (i.e. the folks at home).  We evaluate painters on their ability to apply very fine detail and ability to color match.  Anybody interesting in painting for us should contact Hasbro Human Resources (links are found on our web site).  For package design, we typically look for candidates with a degree in graphic design or fine arts, and with experience in packaging and illustration, as well as specialized structural engineers trained in that discpline who direct the structures and materials of our diverse needs.

Q: Have you (or would you) ever consider running a promotion allowing a few lucky Hasbro fans access to see the behind the scenes world of Hasbro? Seeing the process that goes into the planning, designing, testing and production of an action figure first hand would be very interesting to a lot of fans.

While we have offered behind-the-scenes tours to a few lucky winners of different contests in the past, it's not something that we can really do anymore.  With so many movie lines in development across the boys division, it really puts a strain on the system as we can't risk having plot points, top secret projects and the like get out to the public. In any case, we think it's far less glamorous than it seems!

Q:How far in advance do you usually begin work on a figure before it's actual release? Is it already decided which figures will be in 2009's line? The reason I'm asking is because from what I've heard, the live-action TV series will probably be starting in the fall of next year. With the TV series not even having any actors cast at this point (at least to my knowledge), will you have enough time to get those figures made and have them ready to sell by the time the show airs?

We generally get started on any year's line about 14-18 months before the first toys are available on shelf.  We also tend to plan a full year's worth of product in the initial stages, built around the themes we have chosen.  To give you some reference, we wrapped up planning for the 2009 line in November and have now moved into sculpting and approvals for the first waves, which will be followed by tooling and then package design over the next few months.  Rarely will the plan change, though it has been known to change for significant events - such as when we first saw The Force Unleashed and knew we had to work some TFU products into the line as quickly as we could (the original street date was then pushed back, but we had already fast-tracked the product development).  Your estimate on timing is right - in order to be able to produce figures for Fall 2009 we would need to have reference material ready in the next couple of months. We can't comment on live action, that would be information Lucasfilm would release on their timetable.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #1167 on: February 27, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
Who wants to work for Hasbro?  Interesting questions this time around with some good answers.  Now, whith that being said, when do we get a single carded Quinlan Vos and what accessories is he going to have? And what reference image will be used?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:31:11 PM by Lt. Starfox »

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
« Reply #1168 on: March 02, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »
Who wants to work for Hasbro?... me  ;D

Man I'd still love a tour, I'd even sign a release form to keep mum. Glad they responded to my question tho. It sem less glamorous to them since they see it everyday. To us outsiders it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I wonder how they will work the TV series in.
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline clonecommander77

• New Recruit
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #1169 on: March 02, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »
With the new release of the clone wars AT-TE vehicle coming up, are there going to be any more plans for producing more large scaled vehicles?  Is it going to depend on the sales of the AT-TE?

Im stoked to see Hasbro making larger Star Wars vehicles.  The one vehicle I would love to see the most is the Clone Turbo Tank.  Im sure a lot of other collectors especially ones who collect mostly clone trooper figures would go into a frenzy if Hasbro planned on doing this!