Author Topic: Premium Line  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
Premium Line
« on: March 24, 2006, 08:40:56 AM »
I would like to see an upscale line fo figures or ships designated a premium line. Why?

1. These could be geared for adult collectors or older kids to avoid the crappy soft plastic required for mass market offerings. Guns that don't sag, figs that can stand maintain the 3 3/4 scale.
 a. these can be done with a greater degree of detail and attention.
 b. focus on quality figures rather than 5 offerings of the same Han Solo figure

2. Larger scale ships designed to be accurate and compatable with the premium line figures.

3. Collectors will pay the premium on quality.

Offline Scruffy

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • who's scruffy-looking?
Re: Premium Line
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 08:49:51 AM »
Hasbro doesn't forget the collector, look what they've done for us this year so far. I understand that we are never going to be 100% happy with everything but I'm not going to bust their balls too much because they've done alot for us. They're also not stupid, they have to make toys that will also catch the eyes of kids. So no matter what every year we are going to get the main characters and the Darth Vaders. Not a whole lot of kids out there care about the backgrounds characters...I mean alot of them probably don't remember seeing them in the movie. It's just how the business works and I understand that, I'm not going to get too greedy. But I'm all for some of the things you are saying Wayne, new accurate figures would always be a good idea. As far as the ships go, I never really buy the ships because my pocket book just won't let me. I need to buy groceries with that money!! There's no way Hasbro would make a Star Destroyer that retails for $250, because whose going to buy it other than the DIE HARD and RICH collectors? In the end they would just be losing money...

Offline A.D.I.T.L.1979

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • "Nefarious"
    • Erik's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 10:14:17 AM »
I never really buy the ships because my pocket book just won't let me. I need to buy groceries with that money!! There's no way Hasbro would make a Star Destroyer that retails for $250, because whose going to buy it other than the DIE HARD and RICH collectors? In the end they would just be losing money...

I'm not sure I agree with you there, Anthony.  There is a huge market for the "upscale" Star Wars collectibles (Master Replicas, Code 3, Attakus, Sideshow, etc.), and they tend to sell really well.  Sure, everything is limited edition, but that also keeps production costs down and helps to maximize profit.  I think Hasbro needs to take advantage of the market.  A $250 SD with lights/sounds as I described in the "dream lineup" post might actually be less costly to produce than a Code 3 ship, because of the materials used.  Hasbro could release it on a limited basis (say, 2,500 units), or make it Internet order only.  The $250 price range will not attract a lot of scalpers, because they're NOT going to be able to sell it well above that (unlike hard to find figs, which tend to have a good markup).  Should the demand be high, then they could make another 1,000...and keep this trend until the tipping point is reached.  Hasbro could really make a lot of profit from this.

As for the collector with little cash flow (of which I am also a member), that's why God made tax refunds and layaway.  ;D  However, if you are a member of a collecting club, perhaps several members can put together $$$ to purchase one for a huge diorama...how many of us actually have the space for such a thing, and the time to play with it? :)

Erik
"Why so serious?"--The Joker, as played by Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 01:47:27 AM »
See not all of these ships need to be Star Destroyer size but more scaled to a 3 3/4 figure. Look at what the larger wings alone did to the Tie fighter, or the saga X-wing over the POTF version? Not perfect but better for not alot of money more.
 I really do think there is a market for a better line. I am not saying they need to compete in the mass market and I know they want to catch a kids eye, but if they apply tha to the adult they have a large market. That is proven every day with companies like GG, Code 3, and so on. I think at some point we will see an upscale offering from someone based in the 1/18th scale.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 11:30:19 AM »
Premium + Quality does not equal HASBRO! I also flunked math a couple times.  :-\  All kidding aside, I think the vintage style figure like the VotC's will be as close as we ever come to a premium figure. If they do come up with something I can give them all my Jedi points!!!  :D
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline gran3131

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +34/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
It is true there is a huge upscale market for the statue companies, Attakus,Koto,SS and Gentle Giant and maybe in the future a 1/3 scale line form Cinemaquetee, as well as the outstanding prop replicas from Master Replicas.  However, the market for large scale ships and vehicles has, for the most part yet, to be established.  So far Master Replicas has succeeded and put out some great vehicles, Snow Speeder and At-At.  However, there are certain groups of people who collect such pieces and for the most part it is not the common Hasbro collector.  These people do not have to be rich, just everybody who collects Star Wars collects for different reasons and some people would rather spend a ton of money on a few huge pieces then spend a ton of money on a whole bunch of small pieces.  As far as code 3 goes there have been rumors that their Star Wars sales do not do that well, and also rumors that their future with Star Wars is unsure.  If you look at there website you can see may pieces still in stock and some of these pieces such as the gun ship go for as little as $130.00 on eBay.  Not to mention some people who collected Code 3 were unhappy when they started to sell there pieces at Wal-Mart.  As far as Hasbro trying to compete with any of these companies in the high end line; I just do not think they would be able to succeed.  The main statue companies are established and have a huge following which can drive sales in itself. 
   With that said, and I think Wayne has already stated this that he never meant for the premium line to be a $250.00 ship.  I do think it would be cool to see some figures and ships with a little better quality; you may even say that this is what is happening with Sideshow now doing the 12 inch line.  Also, it would not hurt Hasbro to try to mix it up and every once and a while make a ship such as the ones Erik has described.  Like I said I do not think they can compete with the other high end collectible companies if they tried to make such items all the time, but a lot of people would appreciate it if every once and a while Hasbro made a totally decked out MF,AT-AT, Snow Speeder, Jedi Star fighter, etc even if it costs more money.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 02:07:07 PM by gran3131 »

Offline Jedi Scholar 8

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 02:24:31 PM »
I'll be honest.  Although a Premium line would rock, with getting far more detail in accuracy, I may or may not buy these.  I do try and limit my purchases (okay, so maybe not so much this month), so if I can get 8 figures and a ship in a month at normal prices, but would only be able to get maybe 2 figs and a ship, or just the ship, I amy be tempted to go with the regular line over the premium one.  Then again, If they were released in much shorter waves, say 2 figs per wave spaced out over two months, and a new ship every 4-6 months where I can set money aside, that may be more worth my time and effort. 

Pat

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 02:30:58 PM »
I guess I should have spelled out exactly what I ws thinking so here it goes

Small runs of limited figures. Meaning 12-15 offerings a year vs the 50-60 in the mass line
 I would like these to be geared for collectors ie not kids so they can use a better quality plastic like the old Joe stuff.
 Hasbro could easliy do this- as they sort of so already with some of the SA offerings,Because they are a "premium line" doesn't mean they need to be $20.00 figures. even at 10-15 each and sold through Hasbro direct they would sell. The VOTC line is a good start to what I would envision. I just say that collectors like me would place a premium on a better product that isn't plugging the pegs all over. If they can sell a die cast figure for $15.00 why not a quality plastic version. That's all I am saying.
 Look at all the exclusive crap out there that flew off the pegs. Is a Target clone trooper really worth the premium placed on it at retail over the SA #41?
Pesonally I don't think this would be that hard, look at what they can do with the GI Joe line. I just thought more people would be asking for better quality considering the figs are near 7 bucks a pop now anyhow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 02:41:54 PM by Reconsgt »

Offline DarthBud

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +1/-0
    • Trendy MySpace Page
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 03:29:33 AM »
I guess I should have spelled out exactly what I ws thinking so here it goes

Small runs of limited figures. Meaning 12-15 offerings a year vs the 50-60 in the mass line
 I would like these to be geared for collectors ie not kids so they can use a better quality plastic like the old Joe stuff.
 Hasbro could easliy do this- as they sort of so already with some of the SA offerings,Because they are a "premium line" doesn't mean they need to be $20.00 figures. even at 10-15 each and sold through Hasbro direct they would sell. The VOTC line is a good start to what I would envision. I just say that collectors like me would place a premium on a better product that isn't plugging the pegs all over. If they can sell a die cast figure for $15.00 why not a quality plastic version. That's all I am saying.
 Look at all the exclusive crap out there that flew off the pegs. Is a Target clone trooper really worth the premium placed on it at retail over the SA #41?
Pesonally I don't think this would be that hard, look at what they can do with the GI Joe line. I just thought more people would be asking for better quality considering the figs are near 7 bucks a pop now anyhow.

I think thats a great idea.  I would love to have a small concentrated collection of some really nice figures.    So far hasbro hasn't really shown ideas of providing "quality" though, but maybe things can change...
Now the important thing is I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time.