Author Topic: Grievous and His Magna Guards  (Read 2722 times)

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
Grievous and His Magna Guards
« on: November 11, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »
Has anyone noticed the striking similarity between Grievous and his two personal Magna Guards, and the Emperor and his two personal Royal Guards in ROTJ?  I'm watching ROTS right now, and there's a scene where Grievous and his guards get off an elevator just after he arrives on Utapau.  I know in the 2nd DVD for ROTS Lucas mentions how he wanted Grievous' character to be quite similar to both the Emperor and Vader, but more so like the Emperor.  Anyone else notice this similarity in the two films?

Offline A.D.I.T.L.1979

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • "Nefarious"
    • Erik's Myspace
Re: Grievous and His Magna Guards
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 09:51:33 PM »
Has anyone noticed the striking similarity between Grievous and his two personal Magna Guards, and the Emperor and his two personal Royal Guards in ROTJ?  I'm watching ROTS right now, and there's a scene where Grievous and his guards get off an elevator just after he arrives on Utapau.  I know in the 2nd DVD for ROTS Lucas mentions how he wanted Grievous' character to be quite similar to both the Emperor and Vader, but more so like the Emperor.  Anyone else notice this similarity in the two films?

I can see some similarities:

Grievous's entrance on Utapau has an element of the Emperor's arrival on the second Death Star....although Grievous is moving much faster.

The bodyguards carry electrified staffs, not unlike the Royal Guards.

The bodyguards, like the RGs, are mute.

Grievous has the Emperor's hunch from ROTJ.

Erik
"Why so serious?"--The Joker, as played by Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

Offline TheBarve

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +34/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Yeah now that I think about it, but did you also notice how seeingly impossible they are to defeat in the cartoon series, but in the movie Obi-Wan and Anakin finish them off almost with ease! Kinda weird? Yes even though those to are the greates Jedi at least Shaak-Ti would be able to defeat them almost as fast too.

:bobafett: James
"What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."
-John Meyers (HELLBOY)

Offline A.D.I.T.L.1979

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • "Nefarious"
    • Erik's Myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:20:54 AM »
Yeah now that I think about it, but did you also notice how seeingly impossible they are to defeat in the cartoon series, but in the movie Obi-Wan and Anakin finish them off almost with ease! Kinda weird? Yes even though those to are the greates Jedi at least Shaak-Ti would be able to defeat them almost as fast too.

:bobafett: James

I think this is to illustrate that Obi-Wan and Anakin are the best...only they could defeat Grievous's bodyguards, etc.

E
"Why so serious?"--The Joker, as played by Heath Ledger, 1979-2008

Offline Scruffy

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • who's scruffy-looking?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:45:28 AM »
George always said that he wanted the prequels to be like ripples in the water for the original trilogy, so there are alot of things in the there that we can compare.

Offline Thire5744

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Cloning experiment gone wrong...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:31:30 PM »
The similarirty between Grievous and the Magna-Guards could relate to the fact that the Magna Guard was originally designed as a conceptual design proposal for Grievous, back when GL was asking his artists to develop a vision of what was only known at the time as a "droid general".

Even though the design was not exactly what GL wanted, he still liked it enough to consider using them as bodyguards for the droid general. The ROTS novel pays a better homage to the Magna-guards, by describing that among their battle-worn scars lied evidence of previous confrontations with Jedi...and that such Jedi didn't survive... 8)
There's not a problem that a Thermal Phased-Plasma Pulse Rifle and a keg of beer can't solve...