Author Topic: Airbrushing  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
Airbrushing
« on: July 12, 2005, 08:24:42 AM »
 For a truly smooth paint job on your figure you can't beat using an airbrush.

What is an airbrush?  An airbrush is a small hand held paint gun. The most common you will see for this type of hobby work is a single action gun. See pic.

The bottle of paint attached to the needle assembly and the air inlet attached to the handle. Its a simple process to adjust the spray pattern. The cone over the needle threads up and down exposing differing amounts of the creating anything from a fine pencil line to a 2" spray pattern. The better airbrushes have better patterns and tighter tolerances to help you get the desired line width.

Anyway that’s an airbrush.

What you use is a good paint reduced to proper viscosity so it flows. I personally use testors model masters paint that I find at my local hobby lobby. They run around $2.50 a jar. Always use acrylic paints on plastics such as Star Wars figures.

How to use your brush.

Once you have your airbrush and compressor set up, paints in order and cleaning supplies ready your set to begin. Get your self a few sheets of cardboard to practice on and get started. The first time you use the brush don't expect to be perfect like all things this takes practice. Play with the adjustment settings and observe the rate at which the paint is applied. The idea is to lay down a small amount of paint at a time to avoid over wetting, and runs. repeated light coats is the best. Always seal the paint with clear coat to avoid chipping.

Techniques.

There are a few ways to use your brush to get the results you want.
First you can free hand. This is not recommended for beginners or those with an unsteady hand.
Secondly you can cut a guide from cardboard to use as an edge guide.
Third you can mask off the areas
Fourth. A way I use alot personally is to use something called frisket film. You can get this at a craft store. Its a clear sheet of film that you cut as a template and stick onto your project. Since it has a light amount of glue it removes easily.

Once you get the hang of it you will have projects that will look like the factory painted them. No more brush marks or uneven paint.

Offline DarthScro

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +16/-0
Re: Airbrushing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 04:01:46 AM »
i think i might pick one of these up next week. i suck at useing a brush!!

Offline Rabid Ewok

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
  • The guy.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 06:32:12 PM »
Good description.  I'll have to consider buying one.

Offline Jedi Scholar 8

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 10:12:57 PM »
From talkng with Dustrho, and seeing the Tatooine AT-AT, I'm pretty sure you sold him on airbrushing!  Nice work by the way!

Pat

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 10:14:51 PM »
From talkng with Dustrho, and seeing the Tatooine AT-AT, I'm pretty sure you sold him on airbrushing!  Nice work by the way!

Pics of this fine piece of work are coming soon!  STAY TUNED!   8)

Offline Rabid Ewok

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
  • The guy.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 11:14:54 PM »

Pics of this fine piece of work are coming soon!  STAY TUNED!   8)

Can't wait to see those pics.

I had an idea for something like that, did you steal my idea or did I steal yours?   :doh:   ;)

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 11:37:24 PM »
I had an idea for something like that, did you steal my idea or did I steal yours?   :doh:   ;)

I've had that idea brewing in the back of my head now for over three years, so if you've been thinking about it longer then I suppose you thought of it first.

Offline Rabid Ewok

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
  • The guy.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 01:05:48 PM »

I've had that idea brewing in the back of my head now for over three years, so if you've been thinking about it longer then I suppose you thought of it first.

You beat me, I wasn't even a collector back then.  It'll be interesting to see what you do with the concept.

Back on Topic:  Airbrushes are cool!  lol

Offline Jedi Scholar 8

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 09:03:50 PM »
Okay, I have a couple of questions...has anyone ever used the airbrush available for Testors paints?  It only runs about $20 at Wal-Mart for the gun, kit, and air canister.  Is this worth it to get, or will it really not make any difference so I should just get a nicer one?  I'm this close to picking it up this week to give it a go on a custom...

Pat

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 07:10:38 AM »
Pat,

Those air can kits are OK at best. You can't regulate the air flow and they can get pricey with air can refills. If you use the thin paint it may work. The question is do you have an air compressor at home? Even a small one will do. You can get a cheap starter air brush for under $20.00 and it will work much much better than the can kits.

I bought an air brush compressor last year and it ran me about 60 bucks. Prior to that I ran it off my air comp in the garage and added an extra regulator ontop of my bench so I could adjust teh pressure very quickly and easily.