Author Topic: Star Wars collectors are getting the short end of the stick  (Read 764 times)

Offline dj121

• Sandtrooper Mod
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • United We Find!
I am not just a Star Wars collector. While it is my primary focus and the Star Wars passion runs deep, I also collect other properties from my childhood. Transformers, G. I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a few other things here and there. Recently I picked up the Walmart exclusive TMNT Classic Movie figures. They are 6" scale and have a retail of $19.97.

Now before I go any further, I understand that Viacom / Nickelodeon owns the TMNT property now. They don't have to pay licensing fees. BUT the toy company Playmates DID have to buy the master license. To be fair, I also know that the TMNT figures I bought all share the same body. From the neck down, the figures are all exactly the same tooling (with exception to their belts). Different color plastic, but the same tooling. I know that will save a company thousands of dollars right there.

Hasbro pays HUGE amounts of money to hold the Star Wars license. We all know this. They also spend a lot of money on the Marvel License. More on that a little later.

More to the point of this post. When comparing one of those TMNT figures to a Star Wars Black Series figure, I think you will see why it's clear we are not getting true value for our collecting dollars from Hasbro.

The Turtles figure is pictured below. It's just an amazing figure. 34 points of articulation! Four unique heads per figure. You won't find a shared head sculpt between any of them. Traditional weapons as well as other accessories. WHAT? But they pay license fees.... How can they afford to give so much to the consumer??

Now for the Hasbro Black Series figure. Finn from The Force Awakens. Retail $19.99 Pictured below.

Finn is a decent enough figure. Basic. Around 20 points of articulation. The sculpt is pretty movie accurate. The jacket can be removed from the figure, but I don't know why you would want too, because he will still have the sleeves for arms. He comes with a blaster rifle. That's all. The figure has a few paint apps and a couple on his blaster rifle. Point for Hasbro. Oh, Wait, the TMNT figure has paint apps on all four heads, the Bo staff AND accessories.

Look at the difference. Same price in stores, but the TMNT figure just blows the Star Wars figure away. Why? Why does Hasbro always throw the license fee in collectors faces? Does Hasbro REALLY pay so much that they can not justify adding better paint, more accessories or even a build a figure part in the package? They can seem to cost it out in the 6" Marvel line. I see lots of accessories in those all the time. Especially Build A Figure parts. But Hasbro says it's not cost effective to do a build a figure in the Star Wars line. How could it not? You're getting people to buy MORE figures to complete the B.A.F. It just shows you that Hasbro has lost touch with the collector and has nothing more than cutting cost for the Star Wars brand in mind. Why give us more, when we accept what they give us now? Maybe it's time we all show them we will not just accept what they give us. Maybe it's time to tell them we want MORE.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
Re: Star Wars collectors are getting the short end of the stick
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »
It's a damn shame that Hasbro is "gearing the line towards 6 year-olds".  As a guy who picked up Star Wars collecting again in the late 1990's when they started cranking Star Wars out again, I take great offence to this.  There's no heart, no soul in it anymore.  Toy Fair offerings have been reduced to an endcap.  It's really sad they do not want to make action figures anymore.
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
  • wampa's prefer eating rebels vs. imps, less armour
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
I hear ya Spice.  It's like us collectors are less and less important to hasbro
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • If you only knew.......
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:28:20 AM »
Hasbro knows we Collectors will buy it & they put no effort or seem to care about any quality in Star Wars.. but can try with other licenses in the hope they buy like the Star Wars Collectors buy Star Wars stuff even if it bad..
"Your arrogance blinds you."
"The ability to speak does not
        make you intelligent."