Author Topic: Custom Parts for Vehicles  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Oobatz

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
Custom Parts for Vehicles
« on: March 29, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »

This is a small sampling of the custom parts I can make.

If you need a custom part made let me know, or if you a want something that I have already made just contact me.

I have quite a bit of items I made, they are usable, but they are just not the quality in which I would feel comfortable selling them.  You pay for the postage and they're yours.  If you have a specific part in mind let me know.  I can make almost any color, and I have 7 colors of "Glow in the Dark" pigment. (in descending order of intensity) Green, White, Blue,  Orange, yellow, Red, Purple.

Oobatz

Offline pshorrock72

• Premium
  • Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • AFA is a silly excuse to scalp!!!
Re: Custom Parts for Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
the x-wing canopy glass looks good - that is some hard stuff to cast.. I have been having a hard time with the smaller blasters myself.. What are you using to mold and cast? I use Smooth on products ... I was able to get spot on with mando helmets - but this is a labor of love.

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
ATAT chin guns always come in handy. They look good to me.
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Oobatz

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »
the x-wing canopy glass looks good - that is some hard stuff to cast.. I have been having a hard time with the smaller blasters myself.. What are you using to mold and cast? I use Smooth on products ... I was able to get spot on with mando helmets - but this is a labor of love.

Of all the products I have used, when it comes to Star Wars items, TAP Platinum Silicone has given me the best results when it comes to my molds.  It's translucent, so if you hold the mold up to the light, you can see if there are any air pockets in yoru casting material so you can avoid the expensive mistakes of unusable castings.  After being able to see where my mistakes were occuring, I was able to slightly alter the mold to all for a better mold and casting results, and physically see what was working or not working and why.  Platinum Silicone is made for no need to de-gas the mold material, but I am so detail oreintated that I still de-gas my mold material with a modified Food Saver Home Vaccuum pump, so I don't have a single air bubble anywhere in the mold.

As you know, the brush on mold making products take days and sometimes weeks to make.  Using TAP Platinum Silicone,  you can be casting items in 4 to 6 hours in a 2 piece mold, and 2 hours in a single peice mold.  If I need to cast products inside my home (which I have to in the winter here in MN), I use castin craft Easy Cast Epoxy, as it's low to no odor, and is simple to use because it's a 1:1 ratio.  When it's warmer outside, I can use a more temprature sensitive TAP Clear-Lite Casting Resin and get better results.  It actually is too clear at times, and I have to add a pinch of filler to make less than "water clear" and more like the original Star Wars products.

I hear you about being a labor of love.  I spent a few thousand dollars teaching myself how to get the desired results before I could make a product that I was comfortable selling to someone.  Other than a few Youtube videos, it was all trial and error teaching myself how to make quality products

Offline pshorrock72

• Premium
  • Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
I hear ya on the trial and error... I have many a cast that was absolutely bogus... or worse = use a material that trapped the part in the mold material... crap!! I will try the TAP Platinum Silicone, I am always looking for something easy to use.. The guys from Smooth On offer classes on mold making and casting - I took them up on it and took the class.. it was great... so I use their products as I feel comfortable with them and are pretty stable... I just have to master the use of foams - I have some more practice before I get a structure I am happy with..

Offline Slobba_the_Hutt

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm not your daddy, I'm your grampa
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
can you quote me a price for a clear canopy for the ISP-6?
Hoam skool Dropowt

Offline Oobatz

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »
That is one of the parts I am still looking for. Once I get my hands on one I can start making them.

Offline Slobba_the_Hutt

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm not your daddy, I'm your grampa
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
ok thanks for the update!

I'll check back later
Hoam skool Dropowt

Offline pshorrock72

• Premium
  • Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »
have you tried making replacement gunship or atte missles.. I was wondering how you made your molds? used a tube and pinned the missile in the tube and poured in the mold material.. and later sliced open the tube and freed the projectile... so far works ok.