Author Topic: College Basketball  (Read 9910 times)

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
College Basketball
« on: February 07, 2005, 09:38:56 AM »
I can't believe there hasn't been a thread about college basketball, let alone about the Fighting Illini and the unbelievable season they're having.  Here's the latest scoop on the Fighting Illini's undefeated season...

Illinois Beats Indiana, Improves to 23-0

Sun Feb 6, 3:38 PM ET
By JIM PAUL, Associated Press Writer

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - Top-ranked Illinois had its lowest-scoring game of the season, but the Illini remained unbeaten with a 60-47 victory over Indiana on Sunday. James Augustine scored 16 points and Deron Williams' playmaking led to 24 more for Illinois (23-0, 9-0 Big Ten), which should remain the unanimous No. 1 in The Associated Press' college basketball poll for a second straight week.

Illinois and No. 5 Boston College (20-0) are the only unbeatens remaining in Division I.

Williams was 0-for-7 from the field and scored only one point, a free throw with 2:15 to go in the game. But he assisted on the Illini's first seven baskets of the game, had eight in the first half and finished with 11 in the game.

Luther Head scored 13 points for Illinois, Dee Brown added 12 and Roger Powell Jr. had 10.

Robert Vaden and D.J. White each scored 12 points for Indiana (10-10, 5-4), which played without leading scorer Bracey Wright, who missed the game because of an injured left ankle.

The Hoosiers shot 38 percent from the field in their second-lowest output of the season.

Illinois' previous low was a 67-45 win over Cincinnati on Dec. 31. Indiana scored a season-low 45 against Notre Dame on Dec. 8.

The Illini jumped to a 20-3 lead on Williams' playmaking. After two free throws from Augustine opened the scoring, Williams punched a loose ball to a streaking Augustine for a dunk.

Then as the Hoosiers brought the ball up court, Brown poked it away from Marshall Strickland and found Williams, who passed to Head for another dunk that made it 6-0 just 3:02 into the game.

Indiana missed eight of its first nine shots before White's three-point play triggered an 8-2 run that brought the Hoosiers within 22-11. They went on to outscore the Illini 17-6 over the last 8 minutes of the half and trailed 26-20 at halftime.

But Illinois went on a 13-2 run to begin the second half. Brown had two 3-pointers and Head added one from long range during the run that put the Illini up 39-22 with 15:33 to go. Indiana never closed within double figures again.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
Re:College Basketball
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 07:17:37 PM »
college b-ball is kinda boring until the road to the final four starts out with 64 teams....now that is fun to watch!

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
    • dustrho on Twitter
Re: College Basketball
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »
Sadly the Fighting Illini lost yesterday to Ohio State in a very close game.

Illinois' Bid for a Perfect Season Ends
By The Associated Press

Illinois no longer has the pressure of trying to complete college basketball's first perfect season since 1976.

The top-ranked Illini lost for the first time this season Sunday, falling to Ohio State 65-64. They are still the top seed for this week's Big Ten tournament and will almost certainly still be a No. 1 seed for the NCAA (news - web sites) tournament.

They just won't have that perfect season to worry about.

"Everyone says a loss will help. We'll find out," Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. "We'll learn from it and move on. This next stretch is the most important of the year, and that's what people are going to remember."

Illinois' loss was just one part of a wild Sunday for the teams at the top of the poll.

Second-ranked North Carolina needed a game-closing 11-0 run to beat No. 6 Duke 75-73. Florida beat No. 3 Kentucky 53-52, a loss that could cost the Wildcats a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Chris Paul hit a 12-foot runner at the buzzer to give No. 4 Wake Forest a 55-53 victory over North Carolina State.

That left the top four with a 2-2 mark in four games decided by a total of six points.

In other games involving ranked teams Sunday, it was: Missouri 72, No. 7 Kansas 68 and No. 12 Gonzaga 90, San Diego 74.

Ohio State's Matt Sylvester hit a 3-pointer with 5.1 seconds left to cap a career-high 25-point effort that kept the Illini (29-1, 15-1) from the Big Ten's first unbeaten season since 1976, when Indiana went on to become the last perfect NCAA champion.

Illinois had a 12-point lead in the second half and didn't score over the final 3 minutes.

"We didn't take care of the ball and they made all the plays at the end," Illinois center Jack Ingram said. "They won it."

Ohio State (19-11, 8-8) was banned by its own administrators from the postseason two months ago to mitigate possible NCAA violations committed under former coach Jim O'Brien.

Thad Matta was chosen as O'Brien's replacement and he ruined a team's run at a perfect season for the second straight year.

Last March, Xavier handed top-ranked Saint Joseph's its first loss of the season in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 tournament.

"I'd like to be the other team just one time," Matta said with a laugh. "I'm living for the day I'm the No. 1 team and someone else is trying to do it to us."

The last team to reach the NCAA tournament without a loss was UNLV in 1991.

"They just outplayed us," said Dee Brown, who led Illinois with 13 points. "They deserved it."

No. 2 North Carolina 75, No. 6 Duke 73

Freshman Marvin Williams converted a three-point play with 17 seconds left to cap the game-closing 11-0 run for the Tar Heels (26-3, 14-2), who won their first Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season championship since 1993

Sean May had 26 points and 24 rebounds to record his eighth straight double-double for North Carolina, which got its third win over Duke in the last 16 meetings.

Shelden Williams had 25 points and six blocks for Duke (22-5, 11-5), while J.J. Redick scored all 17 of his points in the first half.

Florida 53, No. 3 Kentucky 52

Anthony Roberson scored 21 points, including two free throws with 15 seconds remaining, and the Gators (20-7, 12-4 Southeastern Conference) ended an eight-game losing streak to Kentucky.

The Wildcats (23-4, 14-2) still had a chance to win the road game, but Kelenna Azubuike's 3-pointer just before the buzzer bounced off the left side of the rim. Chuck Hayes had 20 points for Kentucky, the top seed in the SEC tournament.

No. 4 Wake Forest 55, N.C. State 53

Paul finished with nine points and six assists for the Demon Deacons (26-4, 13-3 ACC), who have won 10 of 11 games. Justin Gray added 15 points, including the tying 3-pointer to set up Paul's final shot.

Paul also hit Wolfpack star Julius Hodge below the belt in the first half, a shot that led to speculation on whether Paul will be available for the Demon Deacons' next game.

Ilian Evtimov scored 19 points to lead the Wolfpack (17-12, 7-9), who had several chances to win and improve their uncertain NCAA prospects.

Missouri 72, No. 7 Kansas 68

Thomas Gardner matched his career best with 23 points and Linas Kleiza had 15 points and 14 rebounds for the Tigers (15-15, 7-9), who snapped a four-game losing streak to Kansas.

Wayne Simien had 17 points and eight rebounds for the visiting Jayhawks (22-5, 12-4), who were bumped to the second seed in this week's Big 12 tournament behind co-champion Oklahoma. Kansas' Keith Langford had five points in 3 minutes before re-injuring an ankle he hurt in practice last week. Langford is the Jayhawks' second-leading scorer at 15.1 points.

No. 12 Gonzaga 90, San Diego 74

Adam Morrison had 25 points and a career-high eight assists to lead the Bulldogs (24-4) to the West Coast Conference championship game as they go for their sixth tournament title in seven years.

Floyd North III had 16 points, and Nick Lewis added 15 points and eight rebounds for the Toreros (16-13).

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 08:48:47 AM »
March Madness is soon upon us, and I'm curious to see who here is into it.  I used to be heavily into March Madness when I was in college ten years ago, and ever since then I haven't paid much attention during the basketball season until March was upon us.

I'm thinking maybe we could start some sort of bracket tourney here, either for fun or for a prize.  What are everyone's thoughts?  We would have to have a decent amount of people playing in order to make it happen though.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 12:41:36 PM »
I'm sad to see Illinois get beat, Ohio State got lucky and it goes to show you the sun shines on anyone on any given day. I like March Madness only because I don't have to wait for all the schools to scroll thru. It takes too long to get to the NBA on the bottom line at ESPN!
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 06:13:26 PM »
bing bing...March Madness is here...bring on the tourney brackets and let the games begin! 

PS: I'm supporting any Texas team that makes it  ;D

Offline The Ghost of QG

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +19/-0
  • Kansas City Chiefs- 2006 Super Bowl Champs!!!
    • http://ghostofqg.freeservers.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 01:59:36 AM »
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!! That's all that needs to be said about March Madness. College BB is by far my favorite sport. I love the madness. Bring on the brackets!!!!!
Phillip Wise and his websites are the cancer of the Star Wars internet community.

Make the world a better place
punch Phillip Wise in the face

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Side effects may include being who you are.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 04:57:23 PM »
I dont know if any of you are in any pools.
But Kansas and Syracuse losing hurt my chances some, even though
I didn't pick either to go to the final four.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 05:00:43 PM »
Texas Longhorns got bounced the first night...uugghh!  Still have Texas Tech Red Raiders though....go Bobby Knight!

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 07:25:02 PM »

Damn, is it a close game tonight for our Fighting Illini!  The score at the half is 38-36... way too close!  Go Illini!

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »
Wow!   :o  Talk about a great game to watch on TV!  The Wildcats were up by 15 points, but the Illini came back to bring the game into overtime, and then won the game by just one point!  Way to go Illini!!!   :)

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 10:19:30 PM »
Red Raiders bounced yesterday  :'(   now, who to route for?

Offline The Ghost of QG

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +19/-0
  • Kansas City Chiefs- 2006 Super Bowl Champs!!!
    • http://ghostofqg.freeservers.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 03:54:49 PM »
Red Raiders bounced yesterday  :'(   now, who to route for?

At least your team made it the second weekend. Mine got beat by Bucknell. Bucknell!! WTF? Bad times in Jayhawk land.
Phillip Wise and his websites are the cancer of the Star Wars internet community.

Make the world a better place
punch Phillip Wise in the face

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »
Two great games were on TV today, and a big congratulations goes out to be North Carolina and Michigan State.  I cannot believe there were three overtime games this weekend, and the Michigan State / Kentucy game went into double-overtime.  Unreal!   :o

Offline eleavitt2000

• Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 08:56:12 AM »
I was attending school in Champaign from 1991-1996 during the suspension (thanks Bruce Pearl) years, where Richard Keane was our prized recruit.

I still remember being uspet when the Illini could not box out against Michigan in 1989.  I got into the Illini because, although I was too young to grasp it, Kendal Gill had attended the high school I was to attend - Rich Central High School. 

After seeing Illinois progress from Deion Thomas and T.J. Wheeler teams with a terrible Andy Kaufman comeback (although I was at a game when Kaufman beat Iowa on a buzzer beater) to Richard Keane to Corey Bradford to Gerry Gee to Sergio McClain, Frank Williams, and Birian Cook until now. 

This is sweet.

My wife and I are alumni and we thought we might have heart attacks during the Arizona game.  Man, we miss La Bamba and C.O.'s.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 08:29:30 AM »
what a great tourney and great games their in the last rounds....congrats to N.C. and kudos to the Fighting Illini, they made a good game of it after being down early.

on the flip side, tonight is the womens NCAA championship between Texas own Baylor Lady Bears vs the Lady Spartans of Michigan State...good luck to both, but GO BAYLOR!!!

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 08:33:00 AM »
I still cannot believe that Illinois lost that game last night.  They didn't look like the same Illini team from recent games.   >:(

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 08:56:40 AM »
I still cannot believe that Illinois lost that game last night.  They didn't look like the same Illini team from recent games.   >:(

no they didn't....If I remember right, I think they shot like 28% in the first half, which is waaaaaaaaaaay down from their normal 46%....they just looked flat out of the gate....

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 04:32:21 PM »
I won 50 bucks in one of my NCAA pools thanks to NC State coming through.
So not everyone was sad to see Illini lose.  >:D

Just to be safe, I did pick Illini to win it all in one of my other pools.  8)

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »
i am going to rez this thread since we are getting close to March Madness and the great state of Texas has some wonderful talent on our college teams....so I will begin to toot the horn of the UT Longhorns (big surprise, huh  ;D  )  and the sensational freshman Kevin Durant and what a great double OT game against 7th ranked Texas A&M last night....damn what a game, even with Acie Law hitting some big 3's for A&M, the Longhorns won 98-96
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:43:42 PM by starfox »

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
Well I didn't want to run my mouth for fear of jinxing my team but I will say the Badgers have impressed me more this season than ever before and I actually have real hopes they will go far.  Just hitting the #1 ranking this season has me delighted, I don't watch the NBA much so the Badgers give me my basketball needs,

Offline scalperhunter1

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 03:49:01 PM »
Tough loss today Fox. It'll be interesting to see where the Horns are seeded in the big show.

Wayne? What do you think about the Badgers after todays Big 10 championship game?

Light side, dark side, light side, dark side, light side, dark side. So many choices, so little time.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »
Tough loss today Fox. It'll be interesting to see where the Horns are seeded in the big show.

Wayne? What do you think about the Badgers after todays Big 10 championship game?

this was a really good game, tough loss, but it shows where we need to be in the finals down the road

Offline Wayne

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Wayne
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »

If they play like that again I don't think much. I was expecting a better game than that,

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »

If they play like that again I don't think much. I was expecting a better game than that,

the Buckeyes put a stomping on the Badgers today

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 12:16:32 AM »
Im in.

Offline scalperhunter1

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
Tubby Smith is now officially a Minnesota Gopher.
Light side, dark side, light side, dark side, light side, dark side. So many choices, so little time.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
that Texas A&M vs Memphis game was a great game and the Buckeyes are being stunned at halftime by 17 points

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
anyone catch the Baylor vs Texas A&M highlights on ESPN today?  I have not yet, but listened to part of the game on the radio last, 5 OT periods before Baylor ended up finishing of the Aggies.  This Baylor team is a new force in the Big 12 and making waves.  Granted A&M isn't as good as they were last year with AC on the team, but they were still rankied 16 in the AP poll

Offline sandtrooper_12

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »
I'm going to the purdue wisconsin game at west laffayette. Its going to be a good one.
GO BADGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sandtrooper_12

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
Speaking of college basketball, this summer im going to work out and do drills with Mike Bizoukas who is a div-1 pg from depaul so that i can get better and im going to try and be on his dad's aau team. Im hoping to make varsity basketball and maybe get a scholarship so im willing to work every second of every day playing basketball.

Offline chewykingwookie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +63/-0
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »
I have started a March Madness pick 'em if anyone is interested. It will be on Yahell so feel free to join up.

ID:  6517
Password: sandtroopers

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
I'm really feeling nostalgic watching John Thompson jr. and PATRICK EWING jr. work magic with Georgetown. He's no where near his old man skill-wise but nice to see lil Pat on the attack!
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline crimsondragon

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
This ought to be a fun weekend.  First time ever all 4 number 1 seeds made it to the final 4.  I think I'll make my homemade buffalo wings and plop down in front of the old plasma Saturday night instead of going out to watch the games.  My wife will complain, but she can't fool me.  She always acts like she doesn't like bball, but when we watch a game she always gets into it.   :stop: :thumbup:

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »
yep, blew my brackets up when Memphis won their game against my Horns.....don't know if I will watch them or not yet

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:11 AM »
GO JAYHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad my woogla boogla worked on them free throws at the end, ;)

Also glad Chalmers made the last second 3 to tie it up.

I couldn't believe the Tigers only made one FG in OT, it was a 12-5 run in KU's favor.
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline crimsondragon

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Yeah, that was one of the better championship games I've seen in a while.  Huge shot by Chalmers.  I was glad KU won.  I guess I'm sort of a bball purist and Memphis' team for the last few years has been a lot of athleticism with not so much skill (although they were obviously better this year).  I'm not a fan of the And 1 effect.   :P

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 06:44:54 AM »
I am not a BBall purist either, it is very very seldom I watch any basketball on tv, I only watch the bracket play and NBA playoffs, if I can. I only watched one and a half games this year.  ;)
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
I see that Agustin and Abrahms from UT have decided to try the NBA draft, if they do, no championship run for the Longhorns next season......we are beginning to see this all to often, players leaving early to make the BIG bucks in pro ball.