Author Topic: New to the repaint game and got questions  (Read 2363 times)

Offline RDJMChris

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +42/-0
  • Rangers Lead The Way!!!
New to the repaint game and got questions
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
All right, I am trying to paint some stripes on a EPII clone.  I want to try and get the look of the animated clones and not deal with the animated sculpting.

My biggest problem is getting the paint to brush out evenly.   Is there a trick to it?

And yes, I have searched other forums (places that I detest visiting due to the immaturity of most members) and just don't have the patience to sift through the detritus.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Chris

"Hand your ripcord grip to the Safety as you exit the aircraft."

"He's no good to me dead."

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
Re: New to the repaint game and got questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »
Well, there are several tricks you can use.

First, make sure you wash the figure before you start painting. Sometimes the mold process leaves chemicals behind that will make it hard for the paint to stick.

Next, make sure you use acrylic paint. NOT enamel. There are many brands of paint used by many different customizers. Some paints are cheap, and can be found in stores like Wal Mart. Others are more expensive, and need to be purchased at specialty stores. There is no "perfect" paint, IMO. Everybody is different. IMO you should go to WalMart or Michaels and pick up some paint that they sell, usually brands like Anita's or Folk Art. They are usually cheap, around $1 - $1.50 for a small bottle. They should do nicely.

Next, you probably want to thin the paint, just a little tiny bit. I would say a ratio of 4:1 (4 parts paint to 1 part water). This will make them spread nicely, but not be too thin.

You can try using some strips of painters tape to make straight lines, or you can go freehand.

And last, but certainly not least: be patient. CHEWIE didn't paint his figures like that overnight  ;)

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline RDJMChris

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +42/-0
  • Rangers Lead The Way!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:34:36 PM »
Thanks, 'Bofe.  I finished the figure up today.  My son says for a first time try it looked pretty good.  I used painter's tape to make straight lines but it didn't always stick quite right.  I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

AFWIW, repainting 1/6th scale stuff is tons easier than this.
Chris

"Hand your ripcord grip to the Safety as you exit the aircraft."

"He's no good to me dead."

Offline Incom

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
Er... yeah, hi there. I'm here to check if you posted those pics yet. Guess not  ;) Show us the pics!  ;D

cuyvaldar

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »
When I thin out paint I tend to use "witch hazel" estringent. It works well and is better than water with paint. Though water is cheaper  :P .