Author Topic: Clone Wars Volume 1 vs Volume 2  (Read 5402 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
Clone Wars Volume 1 vs Volume 2
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
OK, now that the CW volume 2 has hit theaters and toy store shelves, how does it compare to the CW volume 1 in your eyes?

The Toys
Man, I loved the CW figures when they first came out, but they really were/are nothing more than statues. These new toys? Awesome. Great articulation, great likenesses of the characters, a really big improvement over V1.

The Movie/Show
Again, I loved the original cartoons when they were first shown on cartoon network. I was a little disappointed in the 2 - and 3 - minute format at first, because it seemed like just when I was getting into it, it was over. But, I did like the diversity of the stories, and it all meshed well together. Plus, I'm a huge fan of Genndy's other works - Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory - so it was great to see him doing Star Wars in his unique style. The new movie? Yeah, not so much. I didn't like the story, and it seemed to drag. The animation was ok, but I prefer the more cartoon-y hand drawn style (even though I know it wasn't hand drawn) to this more CGI look. I'll reserve final judgment for when the series actually starts, but as of today the V1 definitely was better IMO.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
  • What's so wrong about wanting power converters?
Re: Clone Wars Volume 1 vs Volume 2
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
I agree with you pretty much all around. Loved the original series when it first aired and thought the figures were extremely cool. The articulation (none) sucked as did the price, but they nailed the look of the animated show.

I actually went back about a week or so ago and watched a couple of the episodes (clones taking out the cannon) on YouTube and surprisingly, IMO it didn't hold up well.

I agree with you as well on the new series. The movie I think may not do the series justice in the fact that it's meant for the smaller screen and in smaller (22 min) nuggets. The figures from this line are pretty cool as well, with the exception of the Yoda figure.

I think I'll reserve final judgement as well until after I get to see some of the new series on the boob tube.

:) SUPPORT JEFFERSON'S JEDI! :)

MY FEEDBACK
thejawa.com - Scavenging the Collectibles Galaxy!

Offline yodanut70

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +9/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:33:28 PM »
Plus, I'm a huge fan of Genndy's other works - Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory - so it was great to see him doing Star Wars in his unique style.

I agree 100%.   Samurai Jack is one of my all-time favorite cartoons and seeing his take on Star Wars made that show.   The new movie can't hold a candle in terms of storyline and keeping my interest.    We'll see if they redeem themselves when the series comes out.    The figures from V1 although not articulated were perfect presentations of the cartoon versions.  Like they stepped right out of the TV.    The new ones, however, aren't that exciting with a couple of exceptions like Grievous and the upcoming Plo Koon.

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
  • wampa's prefer eating rebels vs. imps, less armour
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »
I likethe 1st animated series better at this point, but until i see how they'll develop the stories in the new series I can't say for sure..... just having seen the movie thus far, then the 1st series was better.
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
Well from the series 1 cartoon I had only seen a little bit on youtube and I really didn't like it that much at all. But the figures where really cool as I have a couple of them somewhere. On this NEW CW's I love the movie/cartoon and figures alot and intend when cash flow comes back to get more.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

cuyvaldar

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »
I didn't like the first series at first.

I watch a few epsidoes and was kind of blah, after episode 1, star wars was a fond memory, then I saw aotc and that changed it.
So I picked up the dvds, and I can saw I love it.

Genndy's work on this was superb and wonderful, great story.

The toys, not so much, they looked awesome, but the statue nature of them didn't work for me.

SAMURAI JACK WAS THE GREATEST CARTOON EVER PRODUCED ON CARTOON NETWORK AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE THAT WAY!

Yes I love samurai Jack, I have a boat load of the toys, my wife made a 12 inch custom of him, and I have all the dvds.
i also love dexter, where the dvds for this ted turner  >:(

I really enjoyed the new movie

The new toys are fantastic, and a wonderful improvement on a lot of aspects.

i can't say which I like better really, till I see the new series. But if I had too, the old series wins out.

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:35:14 AM »
I'm wondering if the original Clone Wars animated TV series will ever come back, because I did like it a lot. I'm not sure if I find it better than the movie that just came out, but it really fit in well with the Star Wars universe.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
i'm still trying to fnd the DVD for the 2nd season of the original Clone Wars...anyone have one cheap?

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
I'm wondering if the original Clone Wars animated TV series will ever come back, because I did like it a lot. I'm not sure if I find it better than the movie that just came out, but it really fit in well with the Star Wars universe.

I'm surprised Cartoon Network didn't bring this back right before the CW movie was released. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. ???

i'm still trying to fnd the DVD for the 2nd season of the original Clone Wars...anyone have one cheap?

How cheap?  ;)

I was looking for copies of both seasons last month while on vacation (I'm surprised they never released a box set of this). None of the traditional retailers had it on the shelves. deepdiscount.com used to have them for around $13.97 ea but it looks like they no longer have them.

MY FEEDBACK

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
$10-15 or so.....I have looked on the bay and these things are going for ungodly money, volume 2 is anyways.....I had it, but I can't find it anywhere

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
Best Buy has them for $17.99 each.

MY FEEDBACK

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »
I believe they are both technically out of print, so if you do want them, better get them quick. Or, at least, wait another 3 months for Lucas to re-issue them with more special features and the extra missing episode that never aired.

They whisperin about us

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
Best Buy has them for $17.99 each.

really?  when I looked last week, it was no where to be found....wanna throw a link out here?

Offline CommanderNaruto

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +30/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
ya, i havent been able to find them so i had to use the good ol youtube :P
Datteybayo!

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Sheesh man, just do a search!!  :P

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6980993&st=clone+wars&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1409762

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7534876&st=clone+wars&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1490743

Although it lists both as being on "backorder" - but since it's out of print I would doubt that you'll ever get them. But it's worth a try I guess.

They whisperin about us

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 06:02:22 PM »
I didn't even notice the 'back order' tag on them when I did my search.

I'm amazed these things are that hard to find. I figured some retailer would still have a few of them in stock.

MY FEEDBACK

Offline jedibrian77

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +22/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »
I like the length of the new clone wars better instead of the 5 min segments and I absolutly love the animation of the new clone wars but the story of the old one was better. As for the toys they are just different. The new clone wars has action figures whereas the old one had action statues (I know that sounds bad but I really liked them since they were intended to be statues) so I dont think they can be compared.
"With an army of these, who could defeat us? No one!." -KOTOR 2

Feedback