Author Topic: Golf  (Read 15590 times)

Offline crimsondragon

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
Golf
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Ok, I don't know if this is anybody else's cup of tea, but I'm pretty stoked about the Masters this weekend.  The wife and I always like to watch as much of this tourney as possible every year.  Anybody else into golf (watching or playing)?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:27:45 PM by crimsondragon »

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:48:03 AM »
I've hit the ball aournd the course a few times, you can get tired if your not used to it.

Watching on TV is not my cup of tea for sure, it is kind of like watching fishing, you only want to see the fish reeled in or the golfball fall into the hole.

Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:48:56 AM »
I love to play...I am not vey good though....usually shoot in the 90's.  I watch the majors usually, a little on Saturday and the last hour on Sunday.

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
  • What's so wrong about wanting power converters?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 07:16:27 AM »
I don't have the patience for golf which is too bad because my dad is in love with the game. He's been playing for as long as I've been around and he's pretty d*mn good too. He belongs to a league and has won that championship a couple of times as well as some club and tournaments championships at other courses around MA. He's actually down in SC right now for a week of golf with a few of his friends from the league. 9 rounds of golf in 7 days. :o

I still try and get out a couple of times a year with him, not so much for the golf, but just to spend 4-5 hours with him and shoot the s***.

As for the tournaments on TV, if I do watch, it's usually only the final round. I used to watch a bit more golf back when my cable company carried the Golf Channel as a basic channel. Now for some reason  it's a premium channel. John Daly used to have a reality show that was must-see TV.

:) SUPPORT JEFFERSON'S JEDI! :)

MY FEEDBACK
thejawa.com - Scavenging the Collectibles Galaxy!

Offline crimsondragon

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »
Lol Wormie.  I remember JD's show.  He's such a train wreck!

Starfox, you sound about as good (or bad) as me, but I just like to play.  I watch a lot of golf in the summer.  I really like it, especially if Tiger is playing.  And I'm not into baseball so it's the only summer sport I watch.......except for the WNBA of course.  I mean, everybody likes women's basketball, right??  Guys?  Anyone? Bueller?   ;D

I guess I like the Masters the most though.  It's a very tough and beautiful course.  I think its kind of the unofficial start to "golf season".  Most people who work at golf courses and driving ranges will tell you the golfers will be out in force next week.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:29:37 PM by crimsondragon »

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:42:28 AM »

Starfox, you sound about as good (or bad) as me, but I just like to play. 

lol, you got that right!  it's like there are 3 phases of the game: driving, approach shot and putting.  I will usually have 2 of those 3 working and the other just sucks....this week the driver may be strong, next week I won't find the fairway half the time.  I know it takes a lot of practice, but I rather be on the course as opposed to the driving range any day.  The Masters always seems to be great, I remember many years back when Ben Crenshaw won his last green jacket and that put on whole 17, the par 3 by the water.  He aimed 180 away from the whole and the ball went up and around the hill and rolled right into the cup, what a great moment in golf history.  Watching Tiger is always enjoyable.  I hate to see him miss a shot, but then it seems like he's human too, boy he shanked that shot just like me!  see, I am Tiger Woods  ;)

Offline crimsondragon

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:00:49 PM »
 :haha:  Tiger is unbelievable, but when he hits a bad drive, he REALLY hits it way left or right.  I imagine his driver errors are only magnified by the fact that he hits it so far.  And yeah, Tiger's shot a couple of years ago on 16 was a lot like Crenshaw's.

And I hear ya on the inconsistency.  It's so frustrating but I just keep coming back.  :)

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »
it's that one or two really great shots you hit that keep you coming back.....it's like I know I have it in me now, but why can't I be like that more often  ;)

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 07:51:31 AM »
it's that one or two really great shots you hit that keep you coming back.....it's like I know I have it in me now, but why can't I be like that more often  ;)

Exactly. And the best shot you make is usually on the last hole and that's what you walk away talking about. Not the 3 balls you lost on the 6th or the 10 you shot on the 13th.

I've come to the realization that I need to play by the John Daly rules of 'Grip it and rip it'. If I stand over the ball for too long I start worrying about every part of my swing. "Are my legs too close to the ball? Are they too far apart? Is my left arm straight enough? Yadda, yadda, yadda..." Now I just stand next to my bag with my club waiting for my turn. Then I walk to the ball, set-up, take ONE practice swing and let it go.

MY FEEDBACK

Offline SHB033196

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +34/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »

Exactly. And the best shot you make is usually on the last hole and that's what you walk away talking about. Not the 3 balls you lost on the 6th or the 10 you shot on the 13th.

I've come to the realization that I need to play by the John Daly rules of 'Grip it and rip it'. If I stand over the ball for too long I start worrying about every part of my swing. "Are my legs too close to the ball? Are they too far apart? Is my left arm straight enough? Yadda, yadda, yadda..." Now I just stand next to my bag with my club waiting for my turn. Then I walk to the ball, set-up, take ONE practice swing and let it go.

That definately sounds like me...I use to keep score, not the number of strokes but the numbers of balls I lost during a round. I have to play a round on Sunday and I think I am going to try a different approach and NOT kill the ball. Nice easy swings - we'll see how that works.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »
try a different approach and NOT kill the ball. Nice easy swings - we'll see how that works

that's the trick dude, let the club do the work...now if we can make our mind and body follow that philosophy

Exactly. And the best shot you make is usually on the last hole

you got that right Mike....I usually play a 2-man scramble format with some friends and my partner totally sucks.  He will not listen to techniques to help him, like gripping the club right, he wants to hold it like a baseball bat.  I gave him some videos that I used to help pick up some tips, but he still has not watched them.  He has a very unorthodoxed swing.  The deal for him though is, when he connects finally and stops topping the ball, he crushes his drives 325-350 easy.  That usually always happens on hole 18, like clock work...and he is all pumped and ready to come back and play some more

I played my best 2 man scramble last weekend with another teammate.  we were 1 over on the front and 4 over on the back, and left 3 easy birdy putts on the course.  It was my best day in a long time with clean drives and 2nd shots that found the green continuously
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:45:41 AM by Lt. Starfox »

Offline SHB033196

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +34/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
try a different approach and NOT kill the ball. Nice easy swings - we'll see how that works

that's the trick dude, let the club do the work...now if we can make our mind and body follow that philosophy

Exactly. And the best shot you make is usually on the last hole

you got that right Mike....I usually play a 2-man scramble format with some friends and my partner totally sucks.  He will not listen to techniques to help him, like gripping the club right, he wants to hold it like a baseball bat.  I gave him some videos that I used to help pick up some tips, but he still has not watched them.  He has a very unorthodoxed swing.  The deal for him though is, when he connects finally and stops topping the ball, he crushes his drives 325-350 easy.  That usually always happens on hole 18, like clock work...and he is all pumped and ready to come back and play some more

I played my best 2 man scramble last weekend with another teammate.  we were 1 over on the front and 4 over on the back, and left 3 easy birdy putts on the course.  It was my best day in a long time with clean drives and 2nd shots that found the green continuously

That a great round with only 2 guys! I'll take 5 over every time.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
I really tried my ass off to watch the Masters this year, and much like the past when I did, I caught one hell of a nap! I don't know why but it just zonks me out!   :-\
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline chewykingwookie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +63/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:39:59 PM »
I have tried golf a number of times and simply said screw it. I golf like Happy Gilmore which is always fun to watch. I can drive the ball but I can't make a putt to save my skin. I pretty much gave up in High School when we were golfing for PE and I ended up hitting some guy not once but twice during our round. The first time the ball hit him in the shoulder/arm he was right next to the green. The next one the ball rolled and hit his foot. I was at the tee both times. We all laughed and then took off on the golf carts. I do believe we got thrown out of that course. lol

Offline SHB033196

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +34/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »
After going to the tradeshow this last week, it appears that I have no choice but to start playing again - just for clients. There's a lot of business in our industry that can be earned on the course. Looks like I am going to have to suck it up & start playing again.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:18:27 PM »
After going to the tradeshow this last week, it appears that I have no choice but to start playing again - just for clients. There's a lot of business in our industry that can be earned on the course. Looks like I am going to have to suck it up & start playing again.

damn bro, hope they didn't bend your arm too much to make you start playing again  ;)

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
have tried golf a number of times and simply said screw it. I golf like Happy Gilmore which is always fun to watch. I can drive the ball but I can't make a putt to save my skin.

Me TOO jorge but I'd go Golfin' with ya buddy! I drink and drive a MEAN cart!  ;D ;) :chewie: :chewie: :chewie:
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 11:49:59 PM »
I like going to the driving range and just whacking the s**t out of a bucket of balls. Real good stress relief. Other than that, I've only been golfing twice, and don't remember much of either trip. I was told we had a good time tho  >:D

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »
played in a 3man scramble today and my back hurts from carrying my teammates  ;)   we shot a 74, not very good, but for 3 "D" players, we did good.  I had a lot of good drives(no slices today) but couldn't hit a 150yard iron shot to save my life

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Side effects may include being who you are.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
I started taking lessons last Saturday.And all I know is that I got a long way to go.  Over the past week I've gone to the range a couple of times and mainly stuck with the shorter irons. Today was the first day I tried using the drivers and that was pretty embarrasing.  My golf instructor shpwed some things to help correct myself so when I go out this week I can try and develop that swing as well.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
welcome to a much bigger universe!  I would like to get with a pro just to help refine some rough edges

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »
Don't they have hangover helper at the gas stations down there Fox? I can't play it and I really can't stand to watch it unless I'm tired and need a good nap!  ;)   Them doods whispering like that, it's better than an old bedtime story!

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 07:05:27 AM »
not everybody rolls dice for a hobby Spice

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 07:39:18 AM »
Got a chance for a free round of golf with the boss and some co-workers yesterday.  Played a nice course called Delaware Springs in the middle of no where yesterday.  The fairways and rough was the best I have ever played on in this area, the greens were just punched, so putting was a nightmare.  That being said, played one of my best rounds, shot a 88 and left a few birdies on the course when I left.  It felt good to hit the ball consistently well for a change.

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 08:42:10 AM »
Good Job Fox. I hope someday to keep it under a hundy.

I went out on Monday afternoon and played 9 holes at another pitch & putt nearby. This one had to par 4's so I got use my woods this time.  I didnt make par on any hole, but I did have a couple of good shots that I was satisfied with.

I'm going out again this afternoon. I was wheeling and dealing yesterday evening and by the time we got done nickel & diming we had a tee time as well.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 08:22:42 PM »
anyone watch the todays coverage of the us open?  can't believe that final putt for Tiger to get the tie.....  I didn't realize that this goes to a full 18 hole playoff if there's a tie for first.....guess we wait until tomorrow to see if Tiger wins another or Rocco gets his first

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 11:15:54 PM »
I saw it. And wasnt surprised. Tiger is a great competitior.

Rocco better bring his "A" game if he wants to beat him.

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:53 AM »
Rocco better bring his "A" game if he wants to beat him.

I don't think he'll need it. He just needs to play error-free. Woods is in a world of pain right now. I'm not sure he has another 18 holes left in him.

MY FEEDBACK

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
tied after 18 holes and played sudden death and Tiger wins by 1 stroke....it was back and forth all day, and the par 3's ate tiger's ass for lunch, he bogeyed everyone of them, or at least the first 3

Offline CommanderNaruto

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +30/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
not a big golfer myself, but with all the hubbub, is Tiger officially the greatest ever after this round o golf?
Datteybayo!