Author Topic: Led Zeppelin: THE MASTERS  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
Led Zeppelin: THE MASTERS
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
I recently re-discovered my love for one of the most influential bands in rock history. I picked up the Mothership CD/DVD set and I have to tell ya, the DVD is worth the 20 bucks alone. Seeing Robert Plant at the Knicks game a couple weeks ago made get the urge to pick up some good Zep, any of you Trooper get the Led out???  8)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
Re: Led Zeppelin: THE MASTERS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
I've always been a fan of Led Zep, but as a musician, I have always felt that Jimmy Page is overrated as a guitar player. Very sloppy, especially in live settings that I've seen or heard. Not that he's not a good guitarist, I just don't think he's as good as a lot of other people think he is. As a songwriter he is amazing, but as a soloist - not so much.

I always catch a lot of flak for that, but it's my opinion, and I've never been afraid of sharing that  ;)

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:03:25 PM »
Dave do you think he's just hammered or he's just bad? My guess would be the first. I was always facinated with Plant's ability to kill zillions of cowboy killers and still sound great.
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »
Dave do you think he's just hammered or he's just bad?

I guess it could go either way, although his rhythm playing seems to be ok, it's just his lead work that's bad IMO.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 01:17:09 AM »
I have the Led Zeppelin box set. It is a 4 disc box set that was released I guess around the middle 90's. It is I think one of the BEST box sets I have ever heard.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Incom

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 06:17:28 AM »
Resurrecting this fine thread, since I recently bought tickets for Let'z Zep, a Zep cover band unlike any other.

Last year Plant was voted as having the best rock voice ever. Well, I concur, not just because I'm a Zep fan, but just because I think it is true. There are a lot of other great rock voices out there, but Plant has a slight edge I think.

I respect your opinion on Jimmy, Dave. Heck, when Total Guitar had their Top 100 Guitar Player election, Hendrix ranked #1 and Jimmy #2. You won't believe how many people totally freaked out saying Jimi couldn't play s**t and Page was the best!

It's all a matter of taste. Jimmy has a bit of a raw or sloppy edge to his playing, especially live. I'm practising Bron Y Aur Stomp with my guitar teacher and we studied the live performance. He nearly has this Bruce Springsteen style of playing there, but it sounds right.

His solos aren't his trademark, I think it's his rhythm playing. I love how he uses rhythm changes. Really took me some effort to get Black Dog right, ha. Or Out on the Tiles for that matter.

Like I said, I like his style. I'm not a fan at all of the clean, clinical and technical style of let's say a Vai or DiMeola for instance.

But to each his own and I say here's to RP, JP, JPJ and JB!    \m/