Author Topic: 2013 droid factory canceled???  (Read 3732 times)

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
  • wampa's prefer eating rebels vs. imps, less armour
2013 droid factory canceled???
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Rumors on scum and yak face and others are saying that the build a droid line is potentially been canceled..... Maybe..... I hope not I really wanted dooku's pilot droid

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Rumor_Report_Droid_Factory_Canceled_149632.asp
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:08:58 PM by darthdan »
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
Re: 2013 droid factory canceled???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
It's been yet to be confirmed but Curto did break that story yesterday via JediNews.  We're fairly certain the figures are still coming, but everything else appears to be announced at Toy Fair, but I'm guessing more will leak during the UK Toy Fair that's right around the corner.  I'm trying so hard to keep my mouth shut and NOT slam Hasbro until we're provided the explanation.  ::)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • If you only knew.......
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
Was this not expected? seriously it is what Hasbro does.
"Your arrogance blinds you."
"The ability to speak does not
        make you intelligent."

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »
If the figures are still coming are the B.A.D figures still gonna get released on individual cards ,  ie : mace's astromech, realistic jabbas tc-70, and dooku's pilot droid???
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.

Offline Slobba_the_Hutt

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm not your daddy, I'm your grampa
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
either way I'm not too upset by this news

I'm sure the figures will come out eventually and I really don't care about the packaging

I would love to see some older trooper figures get some variants
like the Hispanic Cloud City guard, some different RFTs,  some new HRTs and Imperial Officers all with new heads
even some of the PT troops

a minimum of new tooling and *poof* new figures that most of us will go crazy for
Hoam skool Dropowt

Offline daytrip903

• Premium
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +15/-0
  • Go Cardinals!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
For me it isn't that the BADs are canceled it is more about what are they going to get on the shelves?   Is it really only Class 1 and Class 2 (really 1.75) vehicles and vintage rereleases that didn't see enough volume the last time?  If that is true then I am not sure how Star Wars will maintain any influence on retail space.  Hopefully I am wrong but I am wondering if this really isn't the end.
Is it time to go home yet?

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:00:19 AM »
I think it's all gonna be filler till the 2015 movie line hits

Offline Nabil6901

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:40:50 AM »
Im on the same boat as Spice is,I'm also doing my best to keep my mouth shut about all of this until Hasbro gives us a full confirmation about what's going to happen with all of this. I personally hope it isn't true cause I'm curious to see how long we will see pegs in stores empty or what will even be on there. I think I'm going to start officially collecting only Sideshow Collectibles and a few 3 inch figs if I see them. I don't know what to think anymore but the last few years haven't been exciting collecting wise -_-
Fear is the path to the dark side! Fear leads to anger,anger leads to hate,hate leads to suffering... which path will you take?

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
I think this Hasbro failure is BS! & Is the Mouse involved?
They should at least honor their promises for future releases.. or try too.
I have seen no figs for another year that did not require luck or inside help.
Production & distribution have been so bad for almost 3 years now & they have heard us complain of it too.
They do this? Why bother? We all know almost anything made by Hasbro has little to no value unless made before 1990.
It is all so over produced & now scalpers & etailers & ebay. It is not the same anymore for me, I remember finding a wave a month for decades.
Will we see any new actually wanted products? The kiddie stuff is cute? but not collectible in any way for me. Cute crap is what they are focused on or what I seem to see on shelves.
        make you intelligent."

Offline Nabil6901

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »
I think this Hasbro failure is BS! & Is the Mouse involved?
They should at least honor their promises for future releases.. or try too.
I have seen no figs for another year that did not require luck or inside help.
Production & distribution have been so bad for almost 3 years now & they have heard us complain of it too.
They do this? Why bother? We all know almost anything made by Hasbro has little to no value unless made before 1990.
It is all so over produced & now scalpers & etailers & ebay. It is not the same anymore for me, I remember finding a wave a month for decades.
Will we see any new actually wanted products? The kiddie stuff is cute? but not collectible in any way for me. Cute crap is what they are focused on or what I seem to see on shelves.

I agree Penter,back then we would find a crap load of figures quite easily! That was all before the dark times...before Hasbro fell to the empire!
Fear is the path to the dark side! Fear leads to anger,anger leads to hate,hate leads to suffering... which path will you take?

Offline curto

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
I've been holding off on commenting until Hasbro makes a statement. Today they have:
Star Wars fans,

The Droid Factory line which was slated for spring 2013 has been cancelled.  We were very excited about this line at its inception and wanted to give fans an early sneak peek when we unveiled it at Star Wars Celebration this past summer.  Unfortunately since then, through the course of development, we realized that the price would have to be increased and we felt that the value we were adding with the droid parts was no longer substantiated.

As a result, we have decided to rework our 3.75” figure program to create a line that is on-par with the quality and pricing of the Vintage Collection.  Many of the figures  intended for the Droid Factory will become available in this new line in the fall.  We’ll be able to share more news on this at Toy Fair.

We also recognize that there were many hard-to-find Vintage Collection figures in 2012.  So, as we shared last December, we will re-release many of these figures this spring before the Vintage Collection goes on hiatus, making way for some of the most exciting new initiatives for SW collectors in years.

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm.

Regards,
The Hasbro Star Wars Team

With Toy Fair right around the corner, it's going to be an INTERESTING show...not sure if that's good news or bad news....but it certainly won't be B-A-D news.... ;)

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
that statement makes it sound like we r getting rereleases til summer. great move hasbro

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
They would've had to raise the price...... what BS!!!  They would've sold more units cuz people like the extra droid parts for customs and most people would've bought figs they wouldn't have otherwise bought in order to finish the BAD figure.   The increase in sales would've offset any need for a price increase. 

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
I'm having a hard time seeing how a Droid Factory part could make figures more than $9.99.  What a horrible move, as it's going to be a tough order to put a proper spin on this.  So basically we're getting Vintage figures until fall...  WOW!
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
Well I guess on the bright side there were only a few figs I actually wanted out of the line, so now that they don't haveBAD pieces to make me buy them I guess I can skip most of them when they do come out.  >:D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:04:10 PM by darthdan »

Offline Hand So Low

• Premium
  • Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Don't get cocky!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
I'm having a hard time seeing how a Droid Factory part could make figures more than $9.99.  What a horrible move, as it's going to be a tough order to put a proper spin on this.  So basically we're getting Vintage figures until fall...  WOW!

I got no problem with more vintage. I still want Starkiller, Visla, and others. I've been seeing CW Anakin on the pegs, so that's good news. I wind up having loose BAD parts sitting around taking up space.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
Check out my want list here  http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=15148.0
Feedback thread http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=15027.0
For trade http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=

Offline curto

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
I've known about this for a few months now, but I had to keep quiet about it. When my friend shared the Target info with me...well, that just confirmed it. That's info that anyone can get access to, and a lot of my former "Rebel spies" have access to the central computer.

Obviously, there's more to the story...but that's supposed to be announced at Toy Fair. I mean, people already figured it out. Especially when a BIG clue was dropped when the TVC "Greatest Hits" announced came and then they realized that nothing had been seen yet for LC2.

Although there's much to still be revealed (and you can bet Hasbro is being quiet about it)...this shift was caused primarily because of the upcoming movie releases. Originally, AOTC was supposed to come out in the spring 2013, and ROTS in spring 2014. Then they plan changed to ROTS coming out in fall 2013. Then, BOTH movies were moved to fall 2013!!

While you can easily do this with movie releases with little to no notice, changing a toy line is not as easy....just look at GIJoe last year.

So what will Hasbro do with the 24 LC2 figures they had planned? That will be revealed later this month. They were saving it for the US Toy Fair, but I would bet that it will come out before then, at the UK Toy Fair. I know of at least 3 different ideas that were suggested (one of which was making the "Greatest Hits" line)...but it remains to be seen exactly what will happen now.

I'm actually quite surprised that Hasbro actually came out and admitted anything...but fans aren't stupid. They know SOMETHING is up!

Offline Slobba_the_Hutt

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • I'm not your daddy, I'm your grampa
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
the only thing I'm concerned about is getting the BAD parts
Hoam skool Dropowt

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
the only thing I'm concerned about is getting the BAD parts
I hear ya on that

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
Excuses from Hasbro for a failure.

make you intelligent."

Offline daytrip903

• Premium
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +15/-0
  • Go Cardinals!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
My wallet will enjoy the reprieve.  Plus for the collectors that wanted the elusive Vintage figures it gives us the opportunity to pick them up at retail prices.  Slightly off topic for the thread but any update on the Endor AT AT TRU exclusive?   
Is it time to go home yet?

Offline JediMCor

• Premium
  • Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
  • I'm with Force!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 07:06:54 AM »
Another disappointment from Hasbro.  :'(  Trying to save money for profits. What happen in making good products? At least I don't have to buy many figures this year.

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:46 AM »
Another disappointment from Hasbro.  :'(  Trying to save money for profits. What happen in making good products? At least I don't have to buy many figures this year.

If they have nothing to sell, then how do they make profit?   Which seems like an even stupider business model. Go team Hasblo!  Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Offline Trooper31

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
Thanks for the extra info, Curto. 

I don't think I'm really angry, I'm more disappointed that we won't be seeing anything new for such a long time.

Offline curto

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Same here....and I bet things weren't planned to have to be shifted around so much.

There is one other aspect to this story that I don't think has been revealed yet. Something I assume will be saved for Toy Fair, or maybe SDCC. I'm not going to say anything more except for this..."Back In Black" ;)

As for the figures that were planned for LC2...I would love to see them come out on Vintage, if they continue that line (fingers crossed!), but I would think any and all newly-tooled figures would eventually make it out. Hasbro originally said that Mara Jade would come out on Vintage, so perhaps that could be a special deal? Figures like the Biker Scout, TIE Pilot, Geonosian, Battle Droid...since those were pretty much repacks, I'd be okay not getting those.

Of course, you never know...the first wave could EASILY be released as a Comic Con "Lost Line"  exclusive, with carded variants in the fall.

In the meantime, they might want to consider making the "final TVC" wave come out at retail! 

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
I still can't see giving Hasbro the proverbial hall pass on this guys.  They knew back in August about the multiple releases, and while stuff is shifting around, maybe they should be looking at NEW ways of doing things since I think everyone can agree 2012 was the worst year for retail since they PotF2 rebirth.  Now we hear we have to pay MORE, as they do every year, but there isn't any improvement and it's becoming very clear either they don't care or they don't have a clue what's going on. Bottom line is as fans we deserve the very best, and I think most of us know at least a few ways they could immediatley make things better.

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
I still can't see giving Hasbro the proverbial hall pass on this guys.  They knew back in August about the multiple releases, and while stuff is shifting around, maybe they should be looking at NEW ways of doing things since I think everyone can agree 2012 was the worst year for retail since they PotF2 rebirth.  Now we hear we have to pay MORE, as they do every year, but there isn't any improvement and it's becoming very clear either they don't care or they don't have a clue what's going on. Bottom line is as fans we deserve the very best, and I think most of us know at least a few ways they could immediatley make things better.
May 4th is looking more justified. Hasbro will not care until we just cut them loose & just tell them.
They have failed us for the last time & now we will just ignore their over produced crap & stick to collectibles & real companies that do care.
ever since 2010 it has just gotten worse to locate new product on shelves & I am at a point where I do not care anymore if I do find?
I know that any & everything made in past few years & new stuff can be acquired at any time a show or con or ebay & it is always attainable.
I am starting to think that 2013 could be a great time for a boycott? until they can prove they can do it right.
I have not even looked in weeks & just losing my passion & desire to look especially when you know it is a lost cause & then pay more too?
I don't think so.
        make you intelligent."

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
It's sad I go to the store and get a bigger thrill finding a new Disney/ Pixar cars toy for my boys than I do passing through the dying wasteland that is the Star Wars section.

Offline JediMCor

• Premium
  • Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
  • I'm with Force!
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
Haven't seen anything new or old worth buying. Except buying 2 MTT's on clearance for half off from Walmart. I for me and 1 for a good friend.
I think Hasbro should loose the right to make and sell Starwars toys, but who would pick up this loss. Can't get any worse, ?? Its all in Disney hands right now. Disney needs to put a few of Vader's force chokes on the Hasbro Elites and make them do the right thing for the fans and collectors. But we know that won't happen.

Offline Nabil6901

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
Personally for me I think it's a shame that Hasbro knows for a fact that sooo many collectors around the globe are beyond disappointed about their lack of distribution and quality of figure as well as over pricing each figure $10 or more... I have to agree with Penter on not really caring anymore for finding new figures. The thrill that we would have of finding figures on the pegs or finding the whole case really isn't the same as it used to be. If people truly stop buying the crap tha Hasbro gives us they'll have to realize ok we better do something or we're completely done with the line. I just don't understand the logic of all this that Hasbro keeps ignoring -_-