Author Topic: ITLOF: Inheriting a Collection?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
ITLOF: Inheriting a Collection?
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
From the front page...

Our S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier has come across a rather remarkable story that he's featured in his latest editon of In the Line of Fire. This might be perhaps the only way I wouldn't want to receive a Star Wars collection, by inheriting it. However for one of our fellow Midwest Garrison members, fate dealt a nasty hand for a good friend and his parents were kind enough to share the memory, and give Jim Tampa a.k.a. TB 1020 a few things to always remind him of his good friend. For more check out the latest round from a very unique article.

http://www.sandtroopers.com/dustrho/articles/20061110/

Offline Sprry75

• New Recruit
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
Re: ITLOF: Inheriting a Collection?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 07:14:41 PM »
The story was a little confusing.  There's mention of a "will," which suggests an inheritance in the legal sense.

But there's also some mention of the guy asking the deceased's parents for the deceased's collection, which isn't technically an "inheritance."

Was the collection actually willed and conveyed through a probate transaction, or did a guy's friend pass away and he simply went over and picked it up from the dead fellow's folks?

I am interested in learning how collections--some of which are easily valued in the thousands of dollars--are handled in probate and estate matters.

Interesting, albeit sad, topic.

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
Re: ITLOF: Inheriting a Collection?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »
From my understanding was the it was in the guy's will, for my friend Jim to have it or "inherit" it based on his passing. I think when Jim said he asked it from his parents' he probably was asking to simply pick it up, not "hey can I take that stuff off your hands?" That's just my assumption from this.

I think the story fits when anyone if they're given a collection, inherited a collection, and acquired a collection through any means that somewhat relates to this. It got me thinking about what I'd like done with my collection when I die. It sounds easy enough to just "will" it to my son, but maybe I want certain pieces of it to go to particular people.