Author Topic: ITLOF: What's Up with Hasbro?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
ITLOF: What's Up with Hasbro?
« on: June 22, 2006, 08:24:05 PM »
From the front page...

While the Diary of this Mad-Sand is usually restricted to Sandwatch Action Figure reviews, once in a while it is good to put things into a nice proper outline. Our S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier has compiled quite an amazing read entitled What's Up with Hasbro. Is he right on target or did dustrho miss something? You can return fire in our forums and help join the movement!

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
Re: ITLOF: What's Up with Hasbro?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »
I agree with everything you said Chris, at the top of the list Vehicles. I would definitely pay $100 for a properly done and correctly scaled AT-TE, heck I'm buying that damn TRU AT-AT this year, so I feel it's well worth it to have something new modern and wanted. Second troop builder packs great Idea, I'm tired of paying $7 a pop to build my army and having to throw out tons of packaging. Why not create a few of those Battle Pack Hasbro does with 5 solid Clones w/color variations, Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers w/variant pauldrons, Imperial Officers, ie anything that would be good for army building and priced at $20. This would save on waste as well as the wallet and the need to track each and every one down. Possibly online only and dispence with the packaging all together, just use baggies like that 4pk from a few years ago. Something needs to be done Hasbro is well aware of the army builing trend. Lastly rehashes I don't mind them too much if done in moderation but what they have done with Luke, Vader, especially Han, and what they are stating to do with Obi-Wan and Anakin is just plain ridiculas, new collectors my ass! I could really go for rehashes like R2-R9 (red droid from stardship), TC-14, Death Star Droid, FX-7, Paploo, Lumat, Romba, Warok, Max Rebo, Admiral Motti, Death Squad Commander, various Astromech and Protocal Droid just to name a few the list was longer but you get the Idea, beside some of the older ones need a whole new sculpt.
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.

Offline daytrip903

• Premium
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +15/-0
  • Go Cardinals!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »
You know Hasbro is in the business of producing toys for profit.  I would speculate that the reason why Hasbro continually produces the re-hash is b/c of good profits.  I mean when you have the mold done and you are just going to put it on a new card or new box it make, why not.  Especially when you have people buying them.  Also think back to the vintage line and go through a pricing guide and tell me Kenner didn't re-hash.  Darth Vader is on what 15 different cards but it is the same Darth.  I don't mind the re-hash I just don't spend the money on them.

Now what truly pisses me off is some of their decisions made on the vehicles.  Since last year was the last movie year it would have made much more sense to get the larger vehicles out to the market.  Fans have been begging/wishing for the AT-TE since the end of AOTC.  I mean WTF Hasbro did we not show enough support to get that vehicle?   I think we the collectors have spent a little money over the last almost 30 years on Star Wars toys and continually prove that every day. 
Is it time to go home yet?

Offline pshorrock72

• Premium
  • Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • AFA is a silly excuse to scalp!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:55:08 AM »
Hasbro looks to cut corners... look at GI Joe - their figures were pretty decent until they started releasing yellow weapons and some purple troopers ready for a pride parade... their entire line was made for profit and could rehash it all and make money doing so.

Star wars is a different beast.. the molds are expensive and have running changes to the figures due to mix ups. we eventually will have better sculpts when they figure out where they want to go with this. the action poses do not work... it generated a lot of pegwarmers. The silly action draw did not work either.

Perhaps Hasbro will learn that super poseability will be the formula that works and contine to give us ACTION FIGURES and not a blob of plastic that just sits there as a big ass paper weight or droops to the table when posed.

Offline Bosskmr

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 05:20:51 AM »
dustrho I guess you have not read the possible (most likely) list of figures and vehciles for 2007

Looks like lots of new stuff to me

A rehash here and there is fine by me.  Those are for the new collector, kids...etc.

This new Heroes and Villains/Greatest Battles assortment is a good idea.  EpIII products still had LOTS of life left when it finished at retail.  These rehash figures are a quick way to get Ep III product out to fans and kids who still want it.  They also seem to be selling rather well.

Your right if your not happy with what you see at retail start looking into other products: gentle giant, Koto, master rep...etc  Although if your pissed about a few rehashes what till you see Gentle Giants wonderful exclusive program.....you'll start writing an artcile 5 times the size of your current Hasbro rehash article. 

Don't get me wrong I'd luv to see ALL new figures at retail however if a I get a few gems (Momaw Nadon, R5-D4, Hem Dazon, Garindan, Scorch, Any Clone Troopers) sprinlked throughtout the year that's also fine by me.  Not to mention some rehashes like the current Tat Luke are rather nice. That figure comes with some great accessories.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 07:50:52 PM »
A truly great read, concise and well thought out. As it has shot into one of our top thrity docs quite swiftly. It is also nice to hear another point of view around here and not so much from "bad cop" Spice!  >:D :td: :pimp:
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.