Author Topic: ITLOF: Celebration IV Reaction  (Read 3847 times)

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
ITLOF: Celebration IV Reaction
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:18:19 PM »
I've written another article in my "In the Line of Fire" section which is called Celebration IV Reaction. Have at it and enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 08:43:27 AM by dustrho »

Offline frodo

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +7/-0
  • OOH-AAH That got him.
Re: Celebration IV Reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »
I just read your comments about Celebration IV and I have to say I pretty much agree with them.  I've attended the previous two Celebrations, for CII I drove down from MI, and CIII was even better because I now live about 20 minutes from Indy.  Having attended both of those Celebrations, I feel that I've pretty much been Celebrated out.  I recall talking to my friends after CII and saying we would never do that again.  The lines were long and the convention staff really didn't seem too concerned about attendees having a good time.  Of course that comment is not aimed at all the great volunteers that helped the show run.  The 501st did a great job and all the great costumes at least gave us something to look at while in line.  During the three years between CII and CIII my friends and I must have forgotten how we felt, because we were there again last year.  The lines were even longer and the convention staff even worse.  Now I will say one thing in their defense.  There is not much you can do about long lines to see shows.  There were thousands of people there and they all wanted to see the same shows.  Waiting in line is just a harsh reality for these types of events, but the lines at the shop were just ridiculous.  They should have had plenty of time to figure out a better system between CII and CIII.  The plain simple truth is they just don't care.  They know we want the items and we will wait in line for them.  Why make changes?  Why worry about customer satisfaction?

My friends didn't want to wait all day to get that stupid talking Darth Vader, so while I wasted all that time, they went and watched the Colts cheerleader tryouts!  They said that was the best thing they saw the whole weekend!  I really wish I had joined them instead of wait all day for a lame convention exclusive.  Heck, by the time I made it to the counter, all the good exclusives were sold out except for the talking Vader.

As for CIV.  I can tell you for sure I will not be attending this one.  I don't want to spend more than $1,000 to go to a convention and wait in line half the day.  If you think that is an overestimate of how much people will spend, just consider this.  For one person a plane ticket will cost ~$300, hotel for 4 nights ~$400, rental car or cab or however you want to get around ~$200, food ~$200 (if you eat cheap) and ticket to go to the show ~$150.  That is without buying anything at all at the show!  As for convention exclusives, if there  are any exclusives I want, I'll just buy them when they are available on the internet.  If that fails, I will buy them on Ebay.  That would still be way cheaper than going to CIV! 

Offline wickedempire

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +44/-0
  • Yes, I'm a Bust Fanactic......
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:09:10 PM »
Though I feel that both of you make a vaild point but now you guys feel how people in my kneck of the woods feel (pacific northwest).... I for one love the idea that LA will be home to C4! For once in my life I will be able to go to a con and not have to worry about planes and other things.... So on my current salary this couldn't have been better.... Well if it was in Seattle it would be!!  though most of you live in the East coast or Central area this must be a pain for you but it's a real treat for people like me. I wish that this thing could take place where all could go but that just isn't able to happen... From what I have heard about the last two cons, I think it would be safe to say that some issues will be resolved but as for lines I don't think that will really change. Too many people will be there and that just won't go away. I hate standing in lines for stuff, most of all in a building but if it's AC'd then it isn't all that bad.

Offline Trooper Jon

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • Yo Joe!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 09:03:53 PM »
I agree 100% with Frodo.

I too attended both C-II and C-III and feel the same way. I am still on the fence regarding C-IV. In theory, it would be great, but if it is like C-II and C-III, I would be a fool to spend a lot of money to spend hours and hours and hours waiting in endless lines. Driving to Indy to be subjected to such torture is one thing. Flying to LA is another.

I read today that 100,000 people are expected at the SanDiego ComicCon. Hence, why C-IV will be held in LA. It looks like there is a built-in group of people to attend a Sci-Fi convention in California. Remember what makes the world work-it's about money and has nothing to do with giving us fans a good experience. Given the ComicCon attendence numbers, I bet C-IV will be worse than C-II and C-III combined.

With all that said, I may still go to C-IV because I loved the fans. I'll need to wait on some hard facts about what will be offered at C-IV before making plans though. I know that C-IV will be just as bad as C-II and C-III if not worse.

Offline 12p542

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:25:37 PM »
From article:

I have never made it to a Celebration event, ...

Wow!  That's quite hard to believe! 

I hope you'll have the opportunity to make it to this one, despite the misgivings, pitfalls, etc.

I myself am not completely decided, yet, about this one ...

Offline Fence

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Side effects may include being who you are.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:03:10 PM »
Having been to been to C-3, San Diego Comic Con and Convnetions at the L.A. Convention Center, my assesment is that the Indy Convention Center is too small and Gen Con's ideas were small. This is a National Convention based on a top Hollywood motion picture series, and it was treated like a local county fair. Maybe with it being in L.A. they will add the Hollywood falir that this succesful series and its fans deserve. When the Fashion Institue had the SW costumes on display here is L.A., they had 100 times the amount of cosutmes form the movies to look at. Not just a half a dozen like they did at C-3.And this was just a small building with maybe a 1200 visitors per day. Their Lucas Archives at C-3 was a joke and insult to fans who paid good money to be there. I think I spent a whopping 30 minutes in there, because there was too many people in such a confined area.  Regardless of where they have it everyone must realize there will be lines. But if they can cut those times in half, one would have to consider it a success. As for having it here, I'm for it. I already shelled out thousands of dollars to go to C-3, and welcome saving that cash to go a small metropolis that has little else to offer, Other than a tiny convention center, a race track and Steak & Shake. But I do feel empathy to all of you who have to do what I did. It a large amount of money to throw away.
If any of you are attending please feel free to drop me a PM on any questions that you may about the city and its surroundings. Also, if any of you have any suggestions on what to do for a ST gathering let me know, I wanna help The General set up something fun here.

Offline sithmasterc

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 05:17:50 PM »
I have been to only c-2 and it was a fun experance but it ws way disorganized.I don't really have the time or the resources to go to LA for C-4.I wish I did.I have never been to Los Angeles.

Offline TAMER

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +133/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »
good article, sums up most of my frustrations.

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 10:54:30 PM »
I agree 100% with wickedempire, for some of us to attened C3 was just not possible. I dont relish the Idea of hangin out in LA by any means but you gotta do what you gotta do. :-\ At least it's reachable fairly cheap and theres a chance some peeps I know will be going. It would also be cool to meet the fellow troops here in person!
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.