Author Topic: How old should your kid be before you let them watch EpIII?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline frodo

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +7/-0
  • OOH-AAH That got him.
I was 4.5 when I saw Ep IV for the first time back in 1977.  I thought it was the greatest movie ever made (still do to this day).  No one ever said anything about the movie being too mature for young children back then.  It wasn't until Temple of Doom showed a priest pulling the heart out of someone that we heard anything about this PG-13 rating.  Now that I am in my 30s and have a 4.5 year old son myself I am wondering when it would be OK for him to see Ep III.  He has already watch all of the other episodes, but I've been holding off on this one.  He's also watched Narnia, which is just about as violent in my opinion.

So these questions goes out to all of you with younger kids.  How young is too young?  Have you let your kids watch Ep III yet?  How old were they when they watched it for the first time?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:07:40 AM by frodo »

Offline Sandtrooper Dan

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +18/-0
  • Sandtroopers.com Graphito Suprema!
    • Sandtroopers.com-Your fair and balanced Star Wars news source.
Re: How old should your kid be before you let them watch EpIII?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:51:03 AM »
My little guy Nick is two and he's seen it 3 times already.
Sandtroopers.com -Your fair and balanced Star Wars news source.

Offline dustrho

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +84/-0
  • S.C.A.L.P. Weapons Supplier
    • dustrho on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:51:17 AM »
Well, I only have one son and he's only one year old, so I don't have to worry about this for a while. But, since your son is almost five and hasn't yet seen it, I think your query is a worthy one. I would have to say that you can let him watch it if you feel that he is fully aware that it's only make-believe and nothing more. The thing that is going to be most concerning to him is how Palpatine turns into the Emperor and attacks Mace Windu & Yoda, and then how Anakin chokes Padme and fights Obi-Wan (and of course becomes Darth Vader). Oh, and you can't forget about how the clone troopers go from good to bad in a heartbeat on Utapau, when they start attacking Obi-Wan. It's a total flip of the coin if you should let him watch it or not, but you might have some explaining to do as to why things happened in it. This is really the only film out of the six that would be confusing to a young child (IMO).

Good topic, as it's been discussed with my friends and co-workers on a number of occasions.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 07:54:52 AM »
epIV was great to start with any age, just good vs evil.....now epIII is more violent in many ways and I do not feel that a 5 year old can grasp the true meaning of what is going on and it may be to graphic for a young one....so I think from age 7-8 would be good.....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:13:34 PM by starfox »

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline frodo

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +7/-0
  • OOH-AAH That got him.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:44 PM »
Wow!  This is great!  I love the response already.  Those are some good points.

Oh, and you can't forget about how the clone troopers go from good to bad in a heartbeat on Utapau, when they start attacking Obi-Wan.

This is one nice advantage I have; my son already knows the clone troopers turn bad, so he is expecting that.  Just yesterday he asked me to watch the Star Wars movie where the clone troopers turn bad.  But I do agree with the above comment that the graphic violence might be a bit too much.

Any other thoughts?  I welcome the arguments supporting either side of the issue.

Offline Jedi Scholar 8

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:56:02 PM »
A very good question, and one that ultimately has to be decided upon by your and your child.  It kinda depends on his maturity level and intellect.  My Godson is 3, and can only watch various parts of any of the movies because he does get scared.  However, if your son is okay with things, I say watch it with him as it goes and see how he reacts to such things.  If he starts getting antsy or nervous, speed it up or turn it off.

Pat

Offline scalperhunter1

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
This is an interesting question for this day and age. We spend so much time worrying what level or levels of violence our kids will be exposed to at early ages.
Well, not me. I grew up through the 60's and 70's. I spent my childhood playing WAR with my friends and family. The Jonny Seven OMA, M1 carbines, 45 caliber pistols, Grenades, Sten guns, The Browning B.A.R., Bayonettes, Flame throwers, Tanks, Halftracks, Jeeps and don't forget the original G.I. Joe.
Death and killing was not shunned. It was encouraged. Why? Because you were killing the enemy. No random shootings, no drive by killings, no road rage and definately no kill them because they aren't the correct religion.
We planned, executed and played out killing the enemy and only the enemy.
Now don't forget T.V. and movies. Combat, Rat Patrol, Garrisons Gorillas, Twelve O:clock High. All war based shows.
The theaters were filled with war and military movies.

The difference as I see it, and I see it every day at school, is that my parents and my friends parents taught us the difference between right and wrong. They also taught us one of the most valuable life lessons we would ever learn. RESPECT. Respect for life. Respect for each other and respect the difference between right and wrong.
We understood violence. We knew its place in society and we respected its effect on innocent people.
I can say without reservation that neither me or any of my friends turned out to be killers or were scarred by the hundreds of scenes of death and mayhem that we watched.

Now having said all this I'll get back to the topic.
In my opinion your kids are not to young to see RoTS. But that has to be your decision. I would suggest you use this movie as an opportunity to connect with the kids. Describe the scenes. Explain the story line of right and wrong and don't be afraid to role play what you are watching.
But the most important thing to get across to the kids is this.

IT'S ONLY A MOVIE.
Light side, dark side, light side, dark side, light side, dark side. So many choices, so little time.

Offline wickedempire

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +44/-0
  • Yes, I'm a Bust Fanactic......
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 01:22:03 AM »
Good question...

I have often had these sorts of questions with GF's or just with newly made parents... I would say it depends on the child and how they react to things. I was a young person who could watch just about anything, however I had friends who got nightmares easily. For ep3 I would say 5 or 6 would be a good age. I had some 7 year olds come over with their father to see it and they loved it. I would say no younger than age 5.. I mean not many kids this age would get the themes of the film but I'm sure most of them wouldn't be afraid of it...

Offline Darth Aussie

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +39/-0
  • Australian Sith Lord!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 05:25:08 AM »
My daughter's nearly five and she always wants to watch it on the weekends with her old man :D........

DA
Tie those Scalpers down sport!  Fair Dinkum!

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:57:52 PM »
Thats an awesome question and I think the answer lies more in your children and what they and you can tolerate. My 6 year old saw the movie in the theaters at 5 years old. He also saw AOTC at the theaters when he was but a weeeeee lad and loved it then. he has loved Star Wars from birth and at 6 can whip most adults at any Star Wars trivia games out there. He understands the story line as he has had extreme exposure and explanation from me about it all. Some of it is definatly over his head but he doesnt let it deter his enjoyment.

My youngest son is 3 going on 4. He did not go to the theater to see the movie as he is a bit "busy" to say it nicely. He watched ROTS at home the day it came out on DVD. He does not have near the love for Star Wars as his brother who was hooked the first time I had it on. He knows a little about Star Wars and likes it, but truth be told he's more into Blues Clues. He self regulated the "scary" parts by either closing his eyes or leaving the room. He still won't watch Anakin burn on Mustfar.

I havent noticed any sadistic or sociopathic behavior from my children as a result of watching the Star Wars movies. That be said, I do not let them watch rated R horror movies and action movies as the gore, violence, nudity and language are far to much for them. Both my children act much as my friends and I did when we were children and we all turned out to be productive members of society.

The decision is yours to make and as I said at the beginning you have to use your child(ren) as a guide. If they love and know Star Wars and you'll sit and watch and explain with them, don't hold it back share with them. If they are indifferent or you want to plug the movie in as  a babysitter while you do things around the home, I'd wait a while.
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Offline Darth Aussie

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +39/-0
  • Australian Sith Lord!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 01:47:23 AM »
Well said RC.....
Tie those Scalpers down sport!  Fair Dinkum!