Author Topic: Happy 10th Birthday !!!!!!  (Read 11194 times)

Offline Old Jedi

• Premium
  • Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +13/-0
  • Death to all scalpers!!!!
Happy 10th Birthday !!!!!!
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:05:45 AM »
 :darthmaul2: :darthmaul2:

10 years ago (thanks to wife Tammy) I began this wonderful childhood trek(no pun intended)again of being reintroduced to this great saga, not that I ever forgotten May 25,1977, but with all the hype and excitement of EPI TPM, it thrust me into the kid mode again. Here I am today posting on the greatest site ever created for hard core collectors chatting back and forth with some of the nicest people I've yet to me in person someday, a garage and spare room full of ,shall we say collectibles(or as my says "our new car") and  loving every moment along the way. It has been a great ten years.  STAR WARS IS FOREVER!!!!
United we find!!!!     :chewie: :chewie: :chewie:
Wal-Mart toy dept. you will never find a more wretched hive of scalpers and villainy, We must be cautious.

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
Re: Happy 10th Birthday !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »
This kind of excitement is what keeps driving me as well Fred !

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Jedimom

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
10 years ago I was draggged back to a Galaxy I thought I had outgrown. But this time I had a 4-year-old son who kept me there

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:18:39 AM »
Great thread Fred! I remember standing in line at Toys R Us with my cousin. The red packaging of the Phantom Menace figures was electrifying. I think I spent close to $250 that night and haven't looked back since.  ;D :)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

cuyvaldar

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »
It's nice not to be alone ;D

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
  • What's so wrong about wanting power converters?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
Nice thread! Is it just me, or does LFL seem to be pretty much ignoring the 10th anniv of EP1? Yeah they gave it a SW Insider cover, but not much else of an acknowledgement.  ???

:) SUPPORT JEFFERSON'S JEDI! :)

MY FEEDBACK
thejawa.com - Scavenging the Collectibles Galaxy!

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
Could it be Fan Days III???  We'll see but I'd really like to see a BIG BIG BIG name like Sam Jackson at one of these things. I think you could get him to do it, but they'd have to spend some money. Ok so maybe that won't happen!  :-\
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

cuyvaldar

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
Could it be Fan Days III???  We'll see but I'd really like to see a BIG BIG BIG name like Sam Jackson at one of these things. I think you could get him to do it, but they'd have to spend some money. Ok so maybe that won't happen!  :-\

I think Sammie would just do it to pimp himself further.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
Well for me collecting SW it was 3yrs and 2 weeks for me. Thats when I first got my first figures.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

cuyvaldar

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »
I started collecting with episode 2.

Offline Lil_Louie

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • High-end Snob!
    • Lil' Louie's Lounge
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »
I've always been a fan of SW (since '77) but it wasn't until EP1 that I fell in love with it. Real Jedi, Maul, podracing! Love it!

Offline Commander Ando

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »
I can't believe it's been 10 years since The Phantom Menace came out!

I started collecting as an adult in 1996/1997 with the OT theatrical re-release/special additions. I stopped in the summer of 1997 and then I bought a handful of TPM figures in 1999. Then went without until after ROTS when my girlfriend/now wife bought me a few toys for our first Christmas as a couple.

Since then, I have amassed a clone army and re-embraced my inner child because of her.

It's too bad I had a disapproving ex back during AOTC. I could have picked up a s*** load of Republic Gunships for $30.00 each. As it is now, I've only been able to find 2 on the secondary market for a reasonable price.

If anyone has any AOTC era Republic Gunships (loose+complete or boxed/sealed -- condition of box doesn't matter) for a reasonable price that they want to unload, please PM me. If you have ROTS versions, I could use some of those, too, but I prefer AOTC. Either way, let me know.

cuyvaldar

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
I've always been a fan of SW (since '77) but it wasn't until EP1 that I fell in love with it. Real Jedi, Maul, podracing! Love it!

Ive always been a fan, and collected when the first 3 movies came out. But I stopped collecting for a long time, then it started with transformers, and then came star wars back to the fold.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:25:34 PM by cuyvaldar »

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
I remember working in Waco the day these figures were released for Phantom Menace.  I wasn't collecting these new figures yet, but when I went by the toy ailse at KMart (big surprise here) they had a huge wall, about 8 feet high and 20 ft wide with nothing but the new figures on there.  It was an impressive display and made me want to grab them, but for some reason I didn't buy any that day.

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »
I can't believe it's been ten years already this movie while controversial re- energized SW IMO the visuals of Darth Maul really drew me in. I only bought two figures in this packaging him and Adi Gallia due to my Jedi & Sith focus, later on I bought other figures for my loose collection. This movie will always hold a place in my life that brought SW back right next to ANH for originally bringing it into my life! To all you TPM haters this was a good movie IMO!
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.

cuyvaldar

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
Episode 3 was my fav out of the new three, followed by attack of the jangos(clones)....episode 1 was a little hard to swallow.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 06:38:47 PM »
I gonna have to agree here but some of the EP1 figs sucked but the movie was awesome.

Episode 3 was my fav out of the new three, followed by attack of the jangos(clones)....episode 1 was a little hard to swallow.

Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

cuyvaldar

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
I gonna have to agree here but some of the EP1 figs sucked but the movie was awesome.

Episode 1 had a few good moments I'll give it that.

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »
Well, I guess I'll be the voice of disappointment here. That's pretty much what the last 10 years have brought me, at least with SW in the movie theater. Sure, I like the Clones, and the Clone Wars seems to be pretty decent, and there were parts of Episode 2 and Episode 3 that were OK. But overall, this whole cash grab of going back in time to create the beginning of the story has left nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth.

Personally, I hate Episode 1. Hated it. I hated the fact that they even tried to "humanize" what once was cinema's greatest villain. Darth Vader was such a badass character in the original trilogy. But now, half the people - and all the kids - see Darth Vader as some stupid little bastard that grew up as a slave and whined his way through the Jedi Academy. Sure, they show how Palpatine manipulates Anakin and 'forces' him to bend to his will... but I would have been just fine with thinking that Darth Vader was just a total bad ass that turned to the dark side without seeing him crying about this that and every other thing.

Episode 2... where do I start? Sure, again - Clonetroopers = awesome. But that's only because I've always been an Imperial fan, and have always had my little armies of Stormtroopers... so naturally that just shifted over a little. BUT... to go ahead and - once again - reveal the origins of what was supposed to be the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy - why? WHY not just leave it mysterious? Years ago, that's what everybody wanted, and that's what every company did. You want a great character? Make it a mystery. Boba Fett - hardly ever spoke, and nobody knew who he was or where he came from. OH WAIT, let's ruin that. Wolverine - total badass, can't remember his life, woke up one day with these crazy adamantium claws and just started killing people... OH WAIT, here's what happened all those years ago. Snake Eyes. X-Files. Samara from "The Ring". Even "Jigsaw" from the Saw films has a movie that explains why he did what he did. Why can't they just let some things remain mysterious anymore??

Episode 3. I guess by default, the best of worst. But again, too much whiney bitchy stuff from Anakin throughuot. Not much else to say.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I for one am pretty glad that LFL is kinda just letting the year pass without going crazy about it. Maybe they realize that aside from the fat pockets they all got, going forward with any of these new ventures was a mistake and they are trying to forget it ever happened.

At least next year will be the 20th Anniversary of Empire Strikes Back, and they better have some good stuff planned for that.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »

Personally, I hate Episode 1. Hated it. I hated the fact that they even tried to "humanize" what once was cinema's greatest villain. Darth Vader was such a badass character in the original trilogy. But now, half the people - and all the kids - see Darth Vader as some stupid little bastard that grew up as a slave and whined his way through the Jedi Academy. Sure, they show how Palpatine manipulates Anakin and 'forces' him to bend to his will... but I would have been just fine with thinking that Darth Vader was just a total bad ass that turned to the dark side without seeing him crying about this that and every other thing.

i can agree with this point, if you watch them in chronological order, Vader looses all his steam and menace

At least next year will be the 20th Anniversary of Empire Strikes Back, and they better have some good stuff planned for that.

I think you mean 30th anniversary....unless we are going back in time!  ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
20, 30... who's counting?  :P

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

cuyvaldar

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
20, 30... who's counting?  :P

Old.....you are now, just like the rest of us.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Lil_Louie

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • High-end Snob!
    • Lil' Louie's Lounge
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »

They do! It's the live action TV show. ;)  :chewie:

cuyvaldar

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »

I have doubts that it will be any good.

Offline Lil_Louie

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • High-end Snob!
    • Lil' Louie's Lounge
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »

I, do not.

cuyvaldar

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 01:31:55 PM »

I, do not.

Well that's your opinion :P now back to our regularly schduled program.

Offline Lil_Louie

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • High-end Snob!
    • Lil' Louie's Lounge
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »

I, do not.

Well that's your opinion :P

Yup! That's right.

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

i can agree with this point, if you watch them in chronological order, Vader looses all his steam and menace

I think you mean 30th anniversary....unless we are going back in time!  ;D
I'll agree with that in fact is is the biggest let down of the Prequels for me especially when you see all the EU badass Jedi turned to the darkside, sometime things are better left unexplained. I for one wished they'd have done the three post ROTJ movies first since the Prequel characters weren't aging yet!
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.

Offline scalperhunter1

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
I remember this day very, very well. I skipped out of my day job at Prairie Middle School and showed up at the theater parking lot at 5:30 min the A.M.
Found myself at the end of a linethat was not long but not short either.
Channel 9 and channel 2 news arrived around 7:00 to prepare for the noon and evening local news broadcasts. I had to make sure that my back was constantly facing the camera as I wasn't really "sick" that day.
Long story short, the tickets began to be sold at 9:30. The line moved smoothely and not to slowly.
I was waiting anxiously and with a little bit of excitement as I was now next in line to purchase my ticket when I heard those 10 words that I will forever take with me to the grave and beyond.

The Midnight Showing of Star Wars has been Sold Out.

Did I mention that I was NEXT IN LINE??

Let's just say I was not a happy camper.

Light side, dark side, light side, dark side, light side, dark side. So many choices, so little time.

Offline sithmasterc

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +37/-0
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
Yeah,
I know its been slow in this topic.I was a bit dissappointed with The Phantom Menace myself.Did they have to explain the force as being tied to the miniclorions?They should have just left it as a mystic energy field.The other thing is that Anakin should have been liiiike 15 or about the same age as Luke in ANH.I just couldn't see a 9-10 year old kid taking out a federation battle cruiser.