Author Topic: TheJawa's Q&A Section - Ask Away!  (Read 201170 times)

Offline White Rabbit a.k.a. Desfiy

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
Re: TheJawa's Q&A Section - Ask Away!
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
I am not happy with anwser No.2, its going to be a bitch getting those figures I can see it now, the scalpers will be over them, like white on rice, I feel sorry for the kids, way to go Hasbro, yeah I can see your really looking out for the kids on this one.

Offline jedibrian77

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +22/-0
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »
Ya that is just no good. I think I will probably end up ordering these online if they arent too expensive per figure just to avoid the whole retail thing
"With an army of these, who could defeat us? No one!." -KOTOR 2

Feedback

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »
THE latest:

1) Recently when pictures of the Incinerator Stormtrooper and Felucia Stormtrooper were leaked to the net, the reaction on the forums seemed to be very negative. Repainting clones is fine and appropriate, but repainting the classic Stormtrooper armor feels more like a cash grab by Hasbro (or Lucasfilm) and I'm sure many fans would not like these new types of rainbow-colored Stormtroopers to become a part of the canon, even the EU canon. Rather than pursue this direction, which risks further alienation of fans/customers, but recognizing that Hasbro wants to maximize its existing tooling as much as possible, why doesn't the company focus on reusing the mold for say,
a Blackhole Stormtrooper or a new Shadow Stormtrooper with removable helmet, or the red Magma trooper?  These would probably be far more desired by fans.  You can even re-release the white Stormtrooper again but with different accessories like an updated mouse droid or Death Star detention block computer station or Tantive IV wall piece (that would connect together to form the entire hallway, encouraging customers to army build it for the trooper and to build the entire hall).  Hasbro could also appease fans by just releasing the TAC Stormtrooper but rather than the Jango head, offer a generic conscripted human head underneath.

Even fixing some of the issues with the existing molds (e.g. the very loose torso on the TSC Sandtrooper, or using a better helmet sculpt for the TAC Stormtrooper, the drugged-out upward stare of the TAC Stormtrooper's Jango face) are things that a lot of fans would like to see addressed before the tooling is reused any further.

The extensions you offer for Stormtroopers are all good ideas, and we plan to keep classic Stormies in the lineup, in one form or another, for a long time. So don't worry there.  As we have stated previously, the "film canon" is a very important focus of ours and we will continue to explore unproduced avenues and bring excitement to the lineup for years and years to come. There are a lot of other exciting things in store for the Star Wars universe as well, and we think that all fans, film, new animation, video game, and publishing (comics, novels) can share in the excitement of this energy together.  For The Force Unleashed, we are following the LucasArts lead. We can't wait to get the game, and we think that the new storyline is an important addition to the Expanded Universe. We hope that fans will greet this story, and our tribute to the game, with the same excitement and enthusiasm we have had in creating it.

2) Any chance of releasing any more of the OTC/ROTS "environment" style display stands? I personally prefer those Dagobah, Kashyyyk and Mustafar terrain stands over the ones released in the Saga Collection.  If you do ever re-release some of these with figures or in exclusive display stand packs, is there any chance some new ones could be added? It would be nice to have stands resembling the scenery of places like Tatooine, the Cantina, Hoth Echo Base, Endor, the Naboo palace, plus a few EU worlds like Korriban.

Interesting question, guys….and one that definitely has merit in looking at.  In our research, we have found that most collectors prefer the "generic" stands to the dedicated ones, since they are so scene-specific and most collectors do not build diroamas but arrange their figures on shelf.  But that does not mean that there isn't an opportunity to spice things up with some specific, almost diorama-like, displays down the road. We will keep it in mind as we look toward future opportunities.

3) Will the convention exclusive Shadow Troopers 2-pack be made available at HTS or SWS.com?

The 2-pack will debut exclusively at the Jedi Con. Whether or not it is available at another venue has not been determined yet.
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »
Thanks guys for picking my Stormtrooper question to ask -- I'm not totally satisfied with their answer but I guess we'll see if they got the message to keep their focus on the OT Stormtroopers and fixing some of the problems with that mold before they go any further down the rainbow route.

Q: I realize that Hasbro has previously said "no" to the idea of a single universal neck peg for all of the basic figures and that the needs of a particular sculpt would dictate the peg size. However would Hasbro please consider the idea at least of a common-sized neck peg on most human characters?  For example, there were many complaints about the face sculpts for last year's Moisture Farmer Luke and Yavin Ceremony Luke. They really didn't resemble Mark Hamill even remotely and most of us searched around for an alternate Luke head to put on these figures to improve the overall look.  For example, when I used the VTSC X-Wing Luke head on my Yavin Luke, I was astonished at how much I suddenly loved this figure - although to make the head not wobble, I had to insert some extra tissue paper inside.   Having the option of swapping heads vastly improved my appreciation of this figure and I even went out and bought a second Yavin Luke for another head swap. 

When Hasbro sometimes gives us a figure with a "pinhead" like the VTSC Endor Han, or the comic 2-pack Jedi Leia, again, we collectors would at least be able to find another larger head to fix the problem.  Or if we're not happy with Hasbro's version of X-Wing Biggs (because of the Dutch Vander mold) we'd have the ability to make our own X-Wing Biggs by taking the head from the Tatooine Biggs and putting it on a 2008 SA generic X-Wing pilot body (hint).  Please don't underestimate the value that having a common neck peg size for at least the human characters has for we collectors to fix perceived problems.  The ability to make minor customizations to a figure to suit our own taste has tremendous value and would probably help Hasbro to sell a few more figures for "body parts" or "extra heads".

Q: even though I'm not a big fan of the Geonosians as characters, I was so impressed with the sculpt and articulation of the TSC Sun Fac that I was happy to add him to my collection. I'm now wondering if Hasbro will be retooling this figure any time soon in order to give us a great generic Geonosian Warrior. It'd be a fantastic army builder and perfect for an arena diorama.

Q: would Hasbro ever consider using the comic 2-pack format as a way of revisiting the idea of cardboard dioramas?  It could be done in any number of ways that make sense to you (e.g. 1 figure, 1 comic, 1 diorama, OR 2 figures and 1 diorama OR 2 figures, 1 comic and 1 diorama marketed as a "deluxe" version of the comic packs with a slightly higher price point)  Obviously given the smaller size of the packaging, the diorama could not be as complex as the Jabba or Cantina environments, but it would offer something that isn't too costly for Hasbro to develop unlike a plastic playset and would offer something to collectors who are STARVED for some kind of environment to display their figures in.  Or if not in the comic 2-packs, perhaps for the VotC line when it returns someday?  It'd be a great way to pay homage to the old Kenner-style Land of the Jawas playsets and very fitting with the vintage theme.

Q: Why is it that sometimes Hasbro will release figures that have oddly-painted eyes?  For example, the TAC Stormtrooper, the RotS AT-TE Gunner, and TAC Smuggler Lando all seem to have strange "drugged out" stares that were not there when the initial hi-res photos of the figures are posted on the SW collecting sites (although maybe these were early hand-painted samples?).  I always wonder why Hasbro's QA doesn't catch the problem early on when they inspect the factory samples and correct it before the figures are mass produced.  The drugged-out look generally seems to be due to the fact that the pupil is painted a little too far upward on the eyeball, giving the impression they're staring inexplicably up to the sky.  You've said that figures are painted by using masks -- is it just a misalignment of this mask on the figures head that shifts the paint a bit too far upward? 

Q: It seems that the only criticism of the otherwise superb Kashyyyk 41st Elite trooper is that he is a bit too short. We had a similar problem when Hasbro previously released Commander Cody and unfortunately Cody was dwarfed by his own 212th clones and his general.  Now it's the reverse and Gree (and apparently every other clonetrooper figure) are taller than the poor 41st clones! While maybe height issues are appropriate for a squad commanded by Yoda, will Hasbro look into tweaking this sculpt in the future?  Perhaps thicker boot heels and extending the neck peg and waist just a wee bit taller would help alleviate things?  And could Hasbro also pass a note onto its designers that since we collectors often pose the clonetroopers with their clone commanders and Jedi generals that it's important to ensure their heights are all very close together to create a satisfying diorama? 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:11:50 AM by Napseeker »

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Thanks for keeping us awake with your barrage of questions Napseeker, they come in quite useful!  :)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
Hey DS thanks for submitting 'em so my life has some meaning :)   LOL, but seriously I'm going to eventually try and edit down my questions so they don't read like a short novel... I recognize they can get a bit long (mostly cause I write them late at night when the old brain ain't in the mood to edit and revise)

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
Okay, post-ToyFair and some more questions (and rants :) ) for the good folks at Hasbro:

Q: I'm a huge fan of the comic 2-packs. My hope is to see many of the classic Marvel-era characters (Lumiya, Baron Tagge, Jaxxon, Valance, etc) all translated into figures someday. That said, the latest ToyFair preview has left me very disappointed to put it mildly. The pattern that I'm discerning is that Hasbro is reserving the bulk of its budget for sculpting excellent Dark Horse figures while the Marvel ones will continue to suffer from the recycling and mis-painting of outdated sculpts (Mynock Hunt Leia, Purple Dengar) or repainting otherwise good sculpts with awful colors (bizarre blue-armed Stormtroopers and veggie Mandos). I've been eagerly waiting to buy Fenn and Tobbi but the triple whammy of paying for green and dayglow orange Mandos, partnered with an unwanted outdated sculpt and a price increase is just too much to justify.  Surely your company understands that if the Marvel packs do poorly this year, which they undoubtedly will given the forum reactions to them, that the fault doesn't lie with the lack of demand from your customers but in the way Hasbro has chosen to handle the Marvel sculpts and painting?  It's not my wish to see the Marvel subline become the "ghetto" of the comic packs where old sculpts try to find a second life.

Since Hasbro is currently re-releasing some comic packs with altered paint schemes (like the revisited Stormtrooper Luke and Han), at least will your company consider a similar approach: the nightmarish day-glow comic book style for presumably the kids and parents who will want them, and a more realistic(!!!) collector-friendly paint scheme (similar to what was done with the TAC Holiday Fett)?  Just as there are collectors who will not be buying your Clone Wars 3d figures because the animated styling does not fit in with their existing more realistic figures, Hasbro should realize that the same just as much applies to comic-book painted figures too, given that the novelty aspect has since worn off.  Your Marvel packs appeal to your older, long-time SW collectors: we likely already own the Mynock Leia and limited-articulation Dengar (or skipped them the first time) and have no wish to own these again, please offer us a better value on the Marvel side since so far in 2007 and 2008 it's been Dark Horse figures which have received all of the real effort from Hasbro's part.

Q: What will the case ratios be for the different 2-packs in the Droid Factory line be like?  From the feedback on the forums, it seems very clear that the battle-damaged R2-D2 is going to be in much higher demand than the more obscure astromechs. Can we expect to see more R2s being shipped per case, and for that matter the Hoth Han/R3PO given the vintage appeal of the hooded blue Han?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:36:07 AM by Napseeker »

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »
Okay, post-ToyFair and some more questions (and rants :) ) for the good folks at Hasbro:

I've been eagerly waiting to buy Fenn and Tobbi but the triple whammy of paying for green and dayglow orange Mandos, partnered with an unwanted outdated sculpt and a price increase is just too much to justify. 

The thing is thouhg, the only appearances of Tobbi and Fenn show them in suits of armor colored EXACTLY that way. To my knowledge I have never seen them appear with a different paint scheme. So although the colors my be a bit vibrant, they are completely true to the character.

And you mentoin outdated outdated sculpts? Have you picked up the Fett Legacy set yet? The sculpts are all new and these figures appear to be of those sculpts. the Jango is a completly new figure with only the legs having been seen in the EE set. And Boba has new upper arms and new legs. The chest on Boba may be a rehash but Jango's is new.
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
I don't disagree about the colorings being true to the comic but honestly, can anyone who wanted these two figures say that this is how they envisioned them coming out?  I believe the majority of people are in my camp, which is that Hasbro can be faithful enough to the green/orange scheme without going the total "toon" route.  The Animated Debut Fett is a perfect example of not going overboard in being too faithful to the source material and toning down the colors to keep things tolerable. 

Someone over at RS already chided Hasbro on these figures as being lazy monotone work - and to me, it's no different from the earlier rainbow-Stormtrooper junk; this isn't about giving the older fan a figure of a desired character, to Hasbro it's a Mando-rainbow repaint of no real consequence. Just another way to reuse tooling quick and dirty without much effort. It wouldn't matter so much if this were just another Commtech Stormtrooper or RotS Tarkin, this is the first of what should be real attempts at the Marvel era characters with hopefully Lumiya, Valance, etc to come soon. You can almost forgive the cartoon repaints last year because the 2packs were new and an uncertain gamble so you don't want to invest too heavily in it. But Hasbro has proclaimed these a success and raised the prices too, and yet the Marvel side literally has nothing new to show for it. It IS the ghetto of the comic pack line.  Moreover, Hasbro is using this wacko color scheme to create a pseudo subline that is a hybridized realistic mold but cartoony look in the hopes of reselling collectors old molds - a look that most of us here don't want.  My fear is that they'll stick to their guns on this for all Marvel-based 2packs until they form a Great Wall of Pegwarmers across to China and Hasbro will declare that Marvel 2packs are "unprofitable" and focus only on Dark Horse.

Now regarding the sculpts, I'd direct you to re-read my question again because I separated the two criticisms: regarding the Evo molds, I said "repainting otherwise good sculpts with awful colors".  I know my molds so I don't want Hasbro to think that the complaint is about the Evo mold but as many on forums have said, the wasted use of them on a horrid paint job.

edit: I'm going to modify my question above to use the Animated Debut Fett as an example in case Hasbro also gives a similar response about it being faithful to the comic book.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:06:43 PM by Napseeker »

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
The latest:

Q: The 2006 Christmas release of the Imperial Shuttle was great. We've seen the Imperial Landing Craft in lego form, how about in 3 3/4" form. Any plans to do so?

We agree that it would be a great vehicle to do.  However, the price point it would need to be in doesn't exist in our line right now.  We wouldn't rule out the possibility that we will do it someday, but right now we are not working on it because we have no way to bring it to retail.

Q: We are starting to get reports of the 2008 TAC figures showing up at Wal-Marts already. I thought these were slated to start shipping in March - what gives?
Our first wave came in early, and, as is our tendency, we shipped some out as soon as we got it.

Q: Is the latest delay of The Force Unleashed video game going to delay the action figures yet again?

No.  While the new date for the release of The Force Unleashed has not been announced, most of the figures will go out on our schedule.  The Evolutions pack is at retail right now, and the basic figure wave should be along in mid-March.  There will also be a few exclusives including a Wookiee battle pack (Target, 3/23 on shelf), Rancor (Target, April in-store), and two three-packs (Wal-Mart, July in-store).

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
questions on Wednesday, this is odd

Now, no Imperial Landing Craft, bummer  :(

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline lordabell

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +23/-0
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:05 PM »

I'm bummed too.  I want them to do the Landing Craft and a Theta Class Shuttle from ROTS.
"If there is a center to the collectors universe, I am in the city that is the farthest from."

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »
I'd love to see the Theta Class Shuttle from ROTS myself as well.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2008, 12:08:44 PM »

They didn't say never, just some day.

So they're saying there's a chance......
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline CHEWIE34

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +2/-0
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
Wow, it's great that they didn't give a straight up NO on the shuttle question... maybe they could use the already existing Imperial Shuttle wings and just make a new body/frame for it someday?

;)

Offline DarthWormie

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +35/-0
  • What's so wrong about wanting power converters?
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
The latest round of Q & A:

1: Would Hasbro ever consider using the comic 2-pack format as a way of revisiting the idea of cardboard dioramas?  It could be done in any number of ways that make sense to you (e.g. 1 figure, 1 comic, 1 diorama, OR 2 figures and 1 diorama OR 2 figures, 1 comic and 1 diorama marketed as a "deluxe" version of the comic packs with a slightly higher price point)  Obviously given the smaller size of the packaging, the diorama could not be as complex as the Jabba or Cantina environments, but it would offer something that isn't too costly for Hasbro to develop unlike a plastic playset and would offer something to collectors who are STARVED for some kind of environment to display their figures in.  Or if not in the comic 2-packs, perhaps for the VotC line when it returns someday?  It'd be a great way to pay homage to the old Kenner-style Land of the Jawas playsets and very fitting with the vintage theme.

While the comic packs would not be the right format for it, doing something with the cardboard display scene idea is interesting and one that we have started to explore (albeit in a small way) with the upoming Captain Rex mail-in figure.  We do know that there are a number of collectors who enjoy the cardboard style scenes (and their tie back to the days of vintage toys), so we will keep that in mind as we look at different ideas.

2: Why is it that sometimes Hasbro will release figures that have oddly-painted eyes?  For example, the TAC Stormtrooper, the RotS AT-TE Gunner, and TAC Smuggler Lando all seem to have strange "drugged out" stares that were not there when the initial hi-res photos of the figures are posted on the SW collecting sites (although maybe these were early hand-painted samples?).  I always wonder why Hasbro's QA doesn't catch the problem early on when they inspect the factory samples and correct it before the figures are mass produced.  The drugged-out look generally seems to be due to the fact that the pupil is painted a little too far upward on the eyeball, giving the impression they're staring inexplicably up to the sky.  You've said that figures are painted by using masks -- is it just a misalignment of this mask on the figures head that shifts the paint a bit too far upward?

You are correct in that the early photos we show sometimes are the hand-painted "paint master" or photo sample that we use for packaging, since often production samples are not available when we are doing announcements or finishing up the cards or boxes.  We also do set standards which the factory will try and follow, but face deco, especially eyes, is the single most difficult thing to get right time after time.  Our factories have incredibly talented painters, but expecting each of them to be the same is a tall order and we must allow some variation, or a large percentage will be rejected.  Sometimes it is done with masks, but eyes may also be hand-painted or applied with tampos.  It depends on the individual figure, and the factory doing the work.

3: It seems that the only criticism of the otherwise superb Kashyyyk 41st Elite trooper is that he is a bit too short. We had a similar problem when Hasbro previously released Commander Cody and unfortunately Cody was dwarfed by his own 212th clones and his general.  Now it's the reverse and Gree (and apparently every other clonetrooper figure) are taller than the poor 41st clones! While maybe height issues are appropriate for a squad commanded by Yoda, will Hasbro look into tweaking this sculpt in the future?  Perhaps thicker boot heels and extending the neck peg and waist just a wee bit taller would help alleviate things?  And could Hasbro also pass a note onto its designers that since we collectors often pose the clonetroopers with their clone commanders and Jedi generals that it's important to ensure their heights are all very close together to create a satisfying diorama? Why the sudden change in the height of the figures?

While we'd like to say that the Republic typically assigned the small, lighter Clones to the scout trooper / speeder bike corps, we realize that makes no sense. But we will say that any differences in height are not intentional as all Clones are supposed to be the same 6'0" height. However, unfortunately, manufacture variances do sometimes occur. One can start with the same size sculpt and still end up with some variances as we have seen before with some figures, however unintentional. These variations tend to happen for several reasons. 1. Humidity does play a part in the molding processes. Typically, figures shrink aprox. 4% from our tooling models. But, this can vary.  2. When tool parts are finally assembled, they can fit together slightly differently than originally intended, adding variety. 3. Removable helmets also tend to pose difficulties. We sculpt heads separately, then make a head casting, then sculpt a helmet over the top of the cast head. This allows us to estimate the wall thickness necessary for a removable piece. But, this is an estimation and there are minimum requirements for manufacturing. In some cases, the manufacturing vendor will request to make the helmet larger in production to increase the wall thickness. This causes a big helmet look and creates aesthetic scale issues.  4.  The combination of elements above can create combination variations. 5. The final possibility is there was an unintended mistake and our hardworking design, sculpting, and manufacturing elves just missed it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:30:17 PM by DarthWormie »

:) SUPPORT JEFFERSON'S JEDI! :)

MY FEEDBACK
thejawa.com - Scavenging the Collectibles Galaxy!

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
Glad to hear they will consider a cardboard dio themed product.
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2008, 04:09:27 AM »
Thanks again for picking my questions guys. I'm also glad to hear that they haven't totally said no to cardboard dios, but they didn't exactly say whether they'd re-do the 41st Elite for height :(

Q: You recently said no to the idea of modular playsets in battlepacks due to the usual reasons (cost and no play value for the kids). That's understandable so what about revisiting the idea of scene-specific stands like what we saw in the RotS line?  You had a few stands that were generically sculpted (hallway/Temple, swampy/Dagobah-ish, rocky/Mustfarish) and were able to get some nice variety of scenes by just repainting them differently.  These stands obviously had some intent on being able to connect together (especially the hallway/Temple one) but as much as I struggled with it, I was disappointed to find that I couldn't make anything sensible with the pieces.

This felt like a huge missed opportunity since if Hasbro was going to pay for the tooling of these stands anyway, a better design that incorporated more seamless and logical connectibility could've allowed your company to, in
future years, release more environmental stands that plugged in and could eventually give us our Tantive IV hallway or Hoth rebel base or Death Star hallway... And by making one stand into an "intersection" piece that let
us connect many separate stretches of hallways together, we could literally build our own Death Star/Tantive passageways as large as we're willing to pay up for (by buying more and more SW figures of course, to get those stands). And a slit in the floor moulding would allow us to slide in either a cardboard or thin plastic wall piece.  So how about this idea? It'd be like Build-a-Diorama but done slowly over years to reward collectors for sticking with the hobby (especially when figures are getting more expensive to collect) and the cost would be incorporated into the cost of the stands as you did with the RotS line.

Q: I've always wondered about this: the RotS Padme figure did not have a "baby bump" even though the character had a full belly at that point in the movie. Your Saga line Taun We figure came with a container for a clone baby yet oddly the baby was absent inside. In both cases, was there some concern about the negative reaction from the more conservative elements of your customer base that caused you to go in the direction you did?  I can see that an action figure of a pregnant woman or of a genetically-engineered baby might offend some people but I've always been curious if this was Hasbro's reasoning too. And if not, does that mean we might actually get a "clone baby in a bottle" someday?

Q: Since Hasbro was able to recently provide a nice "shield" half-piece for the Droideka, is it possible that someday we'll see something like this for a basic-carded eps2 Clone Pilot where he comes with a half-piece for the Ball Turret of the Republic gunship?

Q: I love softgoods but I have to admit that there's never really been a case where the hood part of the cloak looks even remotely good. The hood always fails to convey the same sense of "weight" that a real hood would (obviously due to the scale of the figure I realize) so I was wondering if Hasbro would ever do something similar to the Sideshow 12" Darth Maul figure where the hood has a small wire running inside it that lets you shape the hood to look as it does in the movie?  If not that idea, then what about using a plastic head/hood combined with soft goods for the rest of the body (you did this with the TPM Darth Maul figure that came with the Sith Attack Speeder for example).

Q: Will the VotC Lando sculpt ever be updated with ball-jointed elbows? I was more than a little disappointed when after years of waiting for Hasbro to make a Smuggler Lando from TESB, that the figure ended up just being a minor retool of the VotC mold given that the swivel elbows design meant an inability for the arms to be posed straight and more natural.  Will we ever see a better Smuggler Lando if the mold itself does get better elbows, say in a Battlepack or as part of a Saga Legends release?

Along those same lines, have you ever considered using the Battlepacks or Saga Legends line as a way to re-release older figures with minor but new SA updates to make the figure more appealing to collectors who may already have that figure?  For example, a RotS Aayla Secura or RotS Shaak-Ti but with ball-jointed elbows (since the swivel or fixed elbows were the only real flaw when these figures were originally released) or a taller 41st Elite trooper?  You mentioned that we are finally getting an "upgraded" SA Bacara in the upcoming Mygeeto
battlepack for example. In all cases, these would be figures that you have 90% of the tooling for but with just a small added cost to update the tooling you'd be able to sell that figure again to those of us who want the real "ultimate" version of that character with the best articulation.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:56:10 AM by Napseeker »

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »
Good info about the production process up there ^.  Talking about the steps from hardcopy to firstshot and the shrinking that occurs and a little insight to the painting and paintmaster hardcopies

Offline Rabid Ewok

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
  • The guy.
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
1: Why is it that the GI Joe line figures come with stands and more articulation that SW, yet are still $2 on average cheaper than SW figures? $6.99 average for SW versus $4.99 for GI Joe? When SW basic figures were first given stands, we were told the price increase from $5.99 to $6.99 was necessary to cover the cost of the stand?

You can't necessarily compare across lines in an apples-to-apples manner.  There are a host of other parameters used in establishing and setting our targets.  Lucasfilm royalties are also one factor that we must build into our line which other brands will not have.

2: Any chance of releasing any of the exclusive set Galactic Heroes figures in the regular line of 2-packs? I know a lot of collectors that didn't buy the Cinema Scenes because they had every figure save one or two (Leia from Hoth, Jar Jar and Qui-Gon from Naboo, etc.). Any chance we can get those without spending the $30 for the entire set, even if they were repainted in some form?

We don't have any plans right now to release those figures in the 2-pack line.  Instead, we are working hard to try and make as many of the figures in the Cinema Scenes unique as possible so collectors feel that they are "must have" sets to complement the 2-packs.  Could they appear someday? It's always a possibility, but for now they will remain exclusive.

3: We're getting Force Unleashed 3.75" figures, and Unleashed Battlepacks... any chance of some Force Unleashed characters showing up in your other lines, like Galactic Heroes? Please?? And what are the chances that we could get some other Expanded Universe characters in the Galactic Heroes line, like Quinlan Vos and Darth Revan?

Interesting question!  Other than bringing in upcoming Clone Wars characters, we don't have any plans to dip into the EU for Galactic Heroes for the foreseeable future.  It doesn't mean we won't at some point, but right now with so many great film characters yet to be made in GH, and Clone Wars bringing a lot of kids to the format, that's where we'll be putting our emphasis.  You never can tell what he future of GH will bring, though; it does have a strong collector following in addition to kids, so we will look to keep it relevant to all audiences.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:00:27 PM by Rabid Ewok »

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »
Guys, we need your help!!! We've run through out stockpile of questions, even with Napseeker dropping them on us 4 and 5 at a time :P (thanks for that!!). We've got absolutely NONE left to send for the next round in two weeks, so please post some questions that you have for Hasbro. And don't forget, we've got the Indiana Jones Q&A now as well.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Napseeker

• Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
I do so love this site... never enough questions that can be asked and I've got plenty of 'em :)

Q: will Hasbro be fixing the holster on the SA Stormtrooper mold so that his rifle will be able to fit easily in it? And is there a way to adjust the holster so that the Stormtrooper could actually sit in a vehicle without the holster getting in the way?

Q: Will the tooling that is being used to make the comic pack Grand Admiral Thrawn also be reused for a future Imperial Officer in the basic line?  And if so, will the "skirt" part be made of softer plastic so that he can actually sit down (for those of us who are already thinking of swapping heads from the Death Star briefing figures onto a new SA body -- hopefully the neck pegs are compatible).

Q: The VotC Chewbacca remains the absolute best version of Chewbacca ever made and probably for a good long time. But is it possible that Hasbro might someday make an even more premium Chewbacca figure that actually uses real "hair" as opposed to sculpted plastic?  You've already done this in smaller ways with the PotF2 Leia figures - and for that matter, would an ANH Princess Leia with real hair buns be another possibility? 

Q: You mentioned previously that there's a good chance that at some point you'll create an action figure based on Lumiya (the Marvel comics version, and hopefully from her second duel with Luke). Obviously, that figure would be a great candidate for a removable helmet, but would Hasbro consider simply providing two swappable heads for the ball-jointed neck instead?  While I absolutely love removable helmet/mask figures, my concern here is that we will either end up with a tiny Shira Brie "pin head" (as we saw with the Cody figure) or a woefully oversized helmet (as the case was with the Crimson Empire 2-pack figures). Given the likelihod that Hasbro will only make this particular figure once, it'd be incredibly disappointing to see it not done so that both the masked and unmasked Lumiya look as good as possible. Having two heads would enable the sculptor to not compromise the scale of the head or the mask and sculpt the best look possible. As well, the unmasked Shira could retain her ponytail from the scene (which a helmet that fits over her head would not likely be able to hide).  And PLEASE Hasbro, no more "comic toon" colors like we saw with Fenn Shysa and Tobi -- these are definitely not appealing to collectors.

Q: will Hasbro ever release a soft goods Jawa, or is that something that would likely only be done for the VotC line when/if that is brought back? And does Hasbro have any other approaches for a possible Jawa "light up" eyes down the road e.g. maybe a highly reflective material that simulates "glow" without the need for say electronics?

Q: Will Hasbro look at other more secure ways to attach jetpacks onto figures? I recently saw a complaint about the Evo Boba figure having a loose jetpack that fell off too easily. That also reminded me of the Commander Cody figure which had a tiny peg for Cody's jetpack that meant the pack would fall off if you even looked at it too hard. Instead of just a peg that pushes into the back, why not a clip or some other method that offers a better grip?

Q: Is there any possibility of using the hyperarticulated Gree mold for a future release of the 212th Battalion (orange) Utapau clonetrooper?  It's true that this clone was previously released using the #41 RotS mold, but there are those of us who'd love to have that clonetrooper with a removable helmet (since most of the clones in the Utapau debriefing scene were unmasked).  Provided that the same hue of orange paint is used, a hyperarticulated Utapau clone would fit in great with our existing TSC Utapau clones!

Q: You mentioned in the previous Q&A that there are plans to do a Geonosis Battledroid commander figure in 2009. Any chance that this figure will address the always-asked-about problem of thin legs made of soft plastic that eventually warp if the figure is stood upright for more than five minutes?  I know there are quite a few collectors, including myself, who absolutely refuse to buy (army build) any battledroids until Hasbro finds a fix to this problem given that using harder plastic seems to be out of the question.  Come on Hasbro, we need a sturdy army of battledroids for our now-massive clone armies to fight... sturdy legged non-warping battledroids :)

Q: Prior to RotS, I remember a time when I and many collectors groaned when Hasbro would find a new way to release yet another Tatooine Luke in its basic wave year after year. Obviously Tatooine Luke is a core character that should be trotted out for the sake of kids and new collectors, but for older collectors we had already bought him ten times over and were sick of him. After RotS, it seems as if Darth Vader is the new "Tatooine Luke" as he has been issued over and over again in so many forms short of the eventual Funeral Pyre Vader.  Yes, it's true - kids love Vader, he's also a core character that needs to be trotted out no matter how often we collectors groan and whine. But still, even kids will eventually have all the Vaders they could want too.

Now that brings me to 2007, when despite swearing I'd never buy another Tatooine Luke again, I bought three of him because Hasbro gave us the best pack-in that any collector would have to be a fool to turn down (moisture vaporators!!!). Is that the same direction that Darth Vader is headed in then? I'm running low when I try to come up with any other way that Hasbro could issue another Vader in the years to come given that we've got hologram. battle-damaged, silver, and even a White Vader now. I have 12 SA Vaders already and I'd have to think that unless he came with a pack-in Death Star playset the next time :) it's getting very hard for Hasbro to sell me just one more.

Q: Poor Han Solo seems to be suffering from "skinny leg" syndrome lately... when I looked at the VTSC Endor Han, Torture Rack Han, and the latest deleted scene Han, I couldn't help but shudder that his legs seem too tiny to support his upper body. Any chance Hasbro can address this in the future?  The deleted scene Han looks as if he's more suited to be a ballet dancer than smuggler and rebel operative :)

Q: Given that Hasbro has done a number of figures based on the game Star Wars Battlefront 2, is there a likelihood that we'll see the sergeant (green) eps2 jettrooper from SW Battlefront 1?  This should be a dead easy figure for Hasbro to make by gluing a Fett jetpack onto the back of a SA eps2 clonetrooper (please don't use the Deluxe RotS jetpack trooper mold given it has more limited articulation and has always seemed to be a flimsy figure).

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:59:16 AM by Napseeker »

Offline MonkeyCrumb

• New Recruit
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
Q. Are there any plans to bring back cinema scenes? The ones with newly-sculpted figures and accessories and/or diorama pieces?

Q. Now that the Clone Wars TV show is set to bring back the media focus seen previously in movie-years, wouldn't now be a good time to bring back the Deluxe line / $10.00 price point? Throw in some OT goodness like Admiral Ackbar and his command chair to make the OT fans happy  and mix the assortment with Clone Wars deluxe items.

Q. Last year's Tantive IV battlepack premiered new head sculpts for the Rebel Fleet Troopers. Can we expect to see this coontinue with other battle packs where there are more retools in the army-builder packs to give our troops more variety?

Offline Rabid Ewok

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +5/-0
  • The guy.
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2008, 12:05:47 AM »
1) Since Hasbro was able to recently provide a nice "shield" half-piece for the Droideka, is it possible that someday we'll see something like this for a basic-carded eps2 Clone Pilot where he comes with a half-piece for the Ball Turret of the Republic gunship?

We have looked at the turret, and it is simply not possible to include it on a basic figure card.  Does that mean that it won't be done? Not necessarily; it does remain on our list of things we want to tackle sometime, someday, but just haven't been able to fit it in anywhere.

2)  I love softgoods but I have to admit that there's never really been a case where the hood part of the cloak looks even remotely good. The hood always fails to convey the same sense of "weight" that a real hood would (obviously due to the scale of the figure I realize) so I was wondering if Hasbro would ever do something similar to the Sideshow 12" Darth Maul figure where the hood has a small wire running inside it that lets you shape the hood to look as it does in the movie?  If not that idea, then what about using a plastic head/hood combined with soft goods for the rest of the body (you did this with the TPM Darth Maul figure that came with the Sith Attack Speeder for e xample).

That is an interesting idea.  We agree that the hood is a challenge to get it to look realistic in 3-3/4" scale, and we are looking for ways to make cloaks even better in a general sense for display purposes. One thing
we are looking at is exploring wire for cloak hems on a few of our upcoming figures (Kit Fiso in the upcoming Wal-Mart exclusive Droid Factory packs is one of them).  If the results are good, we will see if it offers a solution to help the hood keep shape.

3) Will the VotC Lando sculpt ever be updated with ball-jointed elbows? I was more than a little disappointed when after years of waiting for Hasbro to make a Smuggler Lando from TESB, that the figure ended up just being a minor retool of the VotC mold given that the swivel elbows design meant an inability for the arms to be posed straight and more natural.  Will we ever see a better Smuggler Lando if the mold itself does get better elbows, say in a Battlepack or as part of a Saga Legends release?

Along those same lines, have you ever considered using the Battlepacks or Saga Legends line as a way to re-release older figures with minor but new SA updates to make the figure more appealing to collectors who may already have that figure?  For example, a RotS Aayla Secura or RotS Shaak-Ti but with ball-jointed elbows (since the swivel or fixed elbows were the only real flaw when these figures were originally released) or a taller 41st Elite trooper?  ; You mentioned that we are finally getting an "upgraded" SA Bacara in the upcoming Mygeeto battlepack for example. In all cases, these would be figures that you have 90% of the tooling for but with just a small added cost to update the tooling you'd be able to sell that figure again to those of us who want the real "ultimate" version of that character with the best articulation.

Battlepacks are a great format for getting to some characters that we would not probably otherwise update, but it is on a scene-by-scene basis.  With some battlepacks we look to make them all new in some way, or leave them alone. Saga Legends will remain a line where the figures will be pretty much unchanged from their earlier form unless there is an updated body we can use (such as the 501st trooper migrated to an SA body).  Now, specifically on Lando, we just did this figure last year, so we don't have any plans to go back to him any time soon.  If someday we do update the VOTC Han body, then you can be sure it will be playing in the back of our heads that there is a future Lando upgrade waiting.  In the meantime, we really enjoy Smuggler Lando as a figure who was long overdue, in our opinion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:37:18 AM by Darth Spice »

Offline odiewan

• Sandtrooper Mod
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +47/-0
  • Fight On!!!
    • The Jawa
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
The Jawa's Hasbro questions have been answered.

1: Is there any possibility of using the hyperarticulated Gree mold for a future release of the 212th Battalion (orange) Utapau clonetrooper?  It's true that this clone was previously released using the #41 RotS mold, but there are those of us who'd love to have that clonetrooper with a removable helmet (since most of the clones in the Utapau debriefing scene were unmasked).  Provided that the same hue of orange paint is used, a hyperarticulated Utapau clone would fit in great with our existing TSC Utapau clones!

The Gree tooling is very specific to him so we wouldn't use it for any other character.  However, he has some nice articulation features that turned out well, and there is a possibility that down the road we would do other core Clones with this model.  Right now we don't have any specific updates planned, but the Utapau Battalion would be a good one.

2: You mentioned in the previous Q&A that there are plans to do a Geonosis Battledroid commander figure in 2009. Any chance that this figure will address the always-asked-about problem of thin legs made of soft plastic that eventually warp if the figure is stood upright for more than five minutes?  I know there are quite a few collectors, including myself, who absolutely refuse to buy (army build) any battled roids until Hasbro finds a fix to this problem given that using harder plastic seems to be out of the question.  Come on Hasbro, we need a sturdy army of battledroids for our now-massive clone armies to fight... sturdy legged non-warping battledroids.

We hear you and are looking at a solution to this problem.  In addition to the possibility of upgrades (or even a new BD), we are also looking at the possibility of future figure stands having two foot pegs to help with the problem for all of the existing battle droids.  When standing on shelf for a while, the primary issue seems to be that they draw to one side or the other and two foot pegs seem to help with this.  We are doing some testing on this and if the results look good we will roll it out with our next figure stand multi-pack release.

3: For the figures that are going to contain pieces for the build-a-droid assortments, how are you going to pack these figures in case ratio wise so that fans and collectors can get everything that they want/need to build the droids? For the astromech droids you said it would be 6 figures to a droid, so that would mean 2 of each figure in a 12 figure case. But, for the protocol droids, you said 8 figures per wave would build 2 driods. But how are you going to pack those 8 figures in a 12 figure case? Basically stores are going to end up with 2 and 1/2 droids per case? Do you think that these "extra" figures are going to get left behind and become peg warmers? Especially when it will be the same 4 in every case?? Do you think this is going to cause problems at retail? Or cause problems with the fans?

Outstanding question and one we are happy to answer.  The case will remain a 12 pack, and we will work only with "whole" droids available in every case pack, with either 2 copies of that protocol available in every case or 3 Astros (2 of one Astro and 1 of the second).  There will be no cases with only half droids available.  We have thought this through *very* carefully, understanding the needs of collectors, and we have a case ratio solution that should satisfy everyone. Here is our approach:  First, the Droid Factory line is designed so that collectors only have to buy one of each new (and that includes new tool as well as refreshed/updated) figure to get every part needed to complete every bonus buildable droid.  If collectors just bought 1 each of figures 1-52 (approximate number we expect by end of Spring 2009) in the first wave in which they are introduced, they will have all the droids.  Second, there is some redundancy built into the lineup in two ways: there will be select "greatest hits" that round out the case packs that will carry duplicates of the droid parts (these are usually kid-targeted figures, or figures where nothing has changed so figure completists can ignore these), as well as typical carryforwards we do from wave to wave to maximize potential for certain characters. Sometimes there will be 2 of each new figure in every case, and some waves will have 1 of each new figure as well as some greatest hits/carryforwards from prior waves. Third, when figures are carried forward from one wave to the next, they will switch to the new droids available rather than carryforward what would be an "old" part when the new droids are intro'd.  So that means that when we get to Wave 2, for example, it will only be protocol droid parts in the case pack and no Astro Droid parts, and vice-versa. This is to give a more ample distribution of each new droid as our intent is to NOT make certain droids scarcer overall but to have good availability.  This does mean that popular characters that will be continued across waves, such as Vader, will have several droid combinations possible depending upon how many waves he is slotted into.  We are cognizant of minimizing these variations and are working to keep these combinations down for the true completist who has to have everything, but carryforwards are inevitable to satisfy our kid market.
Wants  -  Trade  -  Feedback

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
r they trying to say we will be getting about 4 vaders in the legacy wave alone this year?

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »
r they trying to say we will be getting about 4 vaders in the legacy wave alone this year?

LOL... You know it. And if you can't find the part you need you can buy 7 more!! I'll Soon have a Vader army that will be so massive my stormies will run in fear!! :)
"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Hasbro's not stupid. And this proves it:

Third, when figures are carried forward from one wave to the next, they will switch to the new droids available rather than carryforward what would be an "old" part when the new droids are intro'd.  So that means that when we get to Wave 2, for example, it will only be protocol droid parts in the case pack and no Astro Droid parts, and vice-versa.

So basically, the hardcore collectors who buy every carded variation will end up buying some of these figures 2, 3, or 4 times because each successive wave that figure will have a different pack-in droid part, and therefore be another variation.

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »

Third, when figures are carried forward from one wave to the next, they will switch to the new droids available rather than carryforward what would be an "old" part when the new droids are intro'd.  So that means that when we get to Wave 2, for example, it will only be protocol droid parts in the case pack and no Astro Droid parts, and vice-versa.

So basically, the hardcore collectors who buy every carded variation will end up buying some of these figures 2, 3, or 4 times because each successive wave that figure will have a different pack-in droid part, and therefore be another variation.

took the words right out of my mouth, the carded variation hunters will be busy and broke, glad I am out of that market

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline Bosskmr

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2008, 07:37:42 AM »

took the words right out of my mouth, the carded variation hunters will be busy and broke, glad I am out of that market

That market of hardcore/anal/OCD collectors has become such a small market that Hasbro could care less.  As far as revenue goes.

I think it's great that Hasbro is changing the droid part like that for each wave on duplicate figures.