Author Topic: Price increases = calling in quits  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
Price increases = calling in quits
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
I think with these continued price increases I am about to call it quits on Hasbro.  I just can't see paying $9+ for a basic figure anymore.  Wal-Mart here today went up to $8.96 for Vintage and Clone Wars figures and Legends are at $7.96.  Target has bumped up to these and TRU has been outrageous for a while now.

That being said, I may buy a figure now and then, because I really love it, but everything else I am going to stop now.

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

cuyvaldar

Re: Price increases = calling in quits
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »
Their raising the prices due to increase in oil prices. I'd get political, but I won't.

Yeah Im pretty sure my collecting days are almost over. With the figs I wanted from you, Ill be really really really picking and choosing anymore.

Offline Coleman Trebor

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • You ain't much if you ain't Dutch
    • www.gator.nl
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
No offense, but you guys are lucky. For the more cooler figures I pay around 15 euros which is roughly 20 dollars.
The one and only Dirty Dutchman!!!!

cuyvaldar

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:46 PM »
No offense, but you guys are lucky. For the more cooler figures I pay around 15 euros which is roughly 20 dollars.

OUCH!!! I would have quit a long time ago for that price hike.

Offline Jaing Skirata

• Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • Keldabe kiss anyone?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
The key is to control your addicition. lol. I know it sounds funny but Im really not joking. Try going a couple weeks or a month WITHOUT making all your usual stops on the gauntlet run and see how nuts you go. Or, go into the store(s) for other shopping and avoid the toy isle. Go look and touch but don't buy, even that questionable figure.

Realsitically... so much stuff has been produced over the years. Some have collections so large 80% of it never see's the light of day. It's organized in boxes in closets, in garage some even have storage units dedicated to storing their Star Wars toys. Meanwhile only a small group of items stay out to be seen and most cannot be touched by you or anyone else. You usually want to rotate the colelction but it never or rarely happens.

Sound familiar to anyone? LOL. It did to me a few years ago. However, to hide my habit I bought most of it for the kids and only kept a select few for me. But, I couldnt drive past a store, go into a store or actually go look without buying something. It sucked.

Then it hit me one day... why am I buying all this s**t? My kids have more freakin army builders than they can even play with. What is the point of being a completist? I mean honestly at the end of the day if your buying figures of characters you dislike or you think are crap sculpts whats the point? If you buy so many Stormtroopers 3 ADHD 10 year olds can't even find places to set them all up when they play what's the point? How many of those toys could have better homes with a kid that would love them and probably destroy them as a result of that love?

My boys are pretty happen with a commander and a grunt or two from the battalions they want. That's between all of them. If you have 1 commander and 1 or 2 troopers from 10 different legions that adds up to a whole lot of freakin troops really really fast. I buy what I want for me but, it has to be somehting I really really want and i have a place on the shelf for it or/and I have a figure it can replace. My collection holds pretty firm in the 50-75 figure range and that's it. Theyre open and theyre on a shelf right next to my side of the bed. I look at them and enjoy them daily. Every once in a blue moon I take one of two down and check them out.

Ive found Im much happier, not as  stressed about finding what Im looking for and have more money in the pocket for other things or and other hobbies.

Ill pay that price. Especially since Im not even buying 20 figures a year between me and 3 boys.
Personell Officer Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club
www.mandalorianmercs.com
myspace.com/jaingskirata
http://mercs.firespray.net/wiki/index.php?title=A%27den_Skirata

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:21:47 AM »
Well for me I can't rememeber the last time I BOUGHT a SW figure. Matty has been on my list these days and a few TF's so for me quiting SW isn't going to be THAT hard.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline pshorrock72

• Premium
  • Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • AFA is a silly excuse to scalp!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
price is a major factor here for me.. I will not pay for repacks.. and hasbro makes it real easy to pass on the silly removable helmet figures made with inferior plastic/rubber.. I like the ships and they are still pretty reasonable 19.99 - 24.99 for the medium vehicles is ok..and a wow that AT-AT walkers are on sale for 50.00 a piece..  I pass on the animated stuff with a few here or there that I can make a clone custom with... but the big H has really made some crap. so, easy passes... and the wallet feels a little bit fuller.  ;D 

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
  • wampa's prefer eating rebels vs. imps, less armour
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »
I already buy less with all the repacks going on. Half of vintage is repacks or figs I already have that already look acceptable.
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.

Offline Uncle George

• VIP
  • Corporal
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • All About Nikon
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »
Even as the oil prices goes up, I don't think it justifies the high prices. I've seen other toy lines which are literally chunks of almost solid plastic still being fairly priced, McFarlane for example. Could it be that Hasbro is taking advantage of us or the product licensing? Who knows, for $20.00 you can get a great model kit from Revell, now look at the price on those Star Wars model kits. They are pricey for SNAP-TITE kits. A 1/48 scale B-1 Bomber for $40+ has enough plastic to inject 3 Millenium Falcons for $40.00 each and they are produced also by Revell. I might be wrong, but licensing, not oil prices could be driving the prices up.

I stopped being a completist years ago. I came across Asoka Tano's R2 unit a week ago at a local Target. Man, I love R2 units and it would look so cool on my Asoka's starfighter. But back to the peg it went because I refused to pay $8-9 for an ounce of plastic when on the other side of the isle there is a quater pounder figure from UNIMAX or a huge 1/18 scale M1 Abrams for $24. As fellow Jaing Skirata mentioned, it is all about control; not easy after years with the habit but still doable. My .02 humble cents.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:01:39 AM by Uncle George »

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Well Hasbro has made it a bit easier on the old wallet. I don't buy waves of figures anymore. Thanks to prices and the lack of Build a Droids. I cherry pick. And it's all vintage figures. I don't buy CW figs. I will buy new vehicles and exclusives. Loved the last comic packs! I collect a lot of lines. MOTUC, DCUC, Marvel U, G.I. Joe and a few Transformers.

The big thing for me is buying what I like. If I don't like it... I vote with my wallet. With the prices going up... I just get more picky in my cherry picking. And I try to budget my spending. Some months I go without to save up for a bigger purchase.
"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

Offline Dark Clone

• Sandtrooper Mod
  • S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
One of the reasons why I just buy the basics.
The ones I want to open and the CW figures my son wants. I'll admitt it's hard to pass up when you first see the new figures, but after awhile it gets easier.

Even most of the exclusive don't intrest me that much anymore.

Jedimom

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
I don't know how anyone can be a completist anymore with these prices. I never could, and will still continue to do what I have always done... buy what i like and save for the big stuff. I don't need 100 clones (but I do need 65 Obi-Wans because they are all just a "little different" LOL)

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
(but I do need 65 Obi-Wans because they are all just a "little different" LOL)

HA ha! Well put!
"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

Offline Sergeant Angeloco a.k.a. Osito Ewok

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
  • Sandtrooper representative in Puerto Rico
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »
Well not quit at all, but yes buy less. Some collector oriented online stores lower the prices when the figure get some month old. That is a option for me, I don't buy evrething when I first see it. Now I wait for a better price and if I don't get it thats fine I have plenty of figures at home :p
Looking for R2-Q5 R/C can be loose and can be without the control.

Feedback

Member of the CFAPR (Club de Coleccionistas de Figuras de Acción de Puerto Rico, Inc.): Action Figure Collector Club of Puerto Rico, Inc.

Offline The Josh

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +23/-0
  • Ringer @ Heart
    • The Pulse
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
I quit collecting Hasbro for the most part after ROTS because the prices started getting crazy from that point or at least crazy from my POV. It sounds silly coming from someone who collects stuff from Sideshow and Hot Toys but I can't get myself to pull the trigger on figures I see on the shelf anymore. Yes, they've improved and look cool but when I get say a very cool looking clone from Sideshow for what I might get 12 clones from Hasbro its an easy move.

Offline TheBarve

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +34/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »
I just won't be buying figures to keep on cards anymore. I don't do very many duplicates anyway, but I liked the Vintage cardbacks (since I can't afford any real Vintage on Card figures) so I've been buying a few duplicates. Guess I'll have to stop now and just be a loose collector which is okay since that's all I have room to display anyway.
"What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."
-John Meyers (HELLBOY)

Offline zedhatch

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »
I cut back severly begining of the year anyway, but the prices made me cement the idea, I don't think it's oil to be honest (tons and tons of reasons I think that but I have been over and over them before, no reason to retread old ground). 

Nevermind the fact that most of the vintage line is rehashes with minor tweaks, Hasbro is probably milking the crap out of what they are selling now. 

http://www.zedsjoesite.com/ home of my webcomic Scale Wars, starring SW, Iron man, Marvel, DC, GI Joe and more.

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
No matter the price, if I like something and have to have it, I'll buy it.
But that said there isn't much I have to have, I have paid a few bucks more at conventions for those figs that seem to elude most, which can cost $25. ( Jaina/ Jacen Solo) still have not bought them lol

I'm already paying about $10 for the Hasbro Marvel figs,  but I'd prefer all figs stay around $5.

Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline RDJMChris

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +42/-0
  • Rangers Lead The Way!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
So I saw my first figures in one of the smaller toy kiosks around.  Two CW figures at a whopping 550 rubles each.  At today's exchange rate that was $19.29 - for a toy.  I am going to hit up two of the larger toy stores in town during the next couple of weeks to see how they stack up. 

Your trooper in Moscow.
Chris

"Hand your ripcord grip to the Safety as you exit the aircraft."

"He's no good to me dead."

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »
So I saw my first figures in one of the smaller toy kiosks around.  Two CW figures at a whopping 550 rubles each.  At today's exchange rate that was $19.29 - for a toy.  I am going to hit up two of the larger toy stores in town during the next couple of weeks to see how they stack up. 

Your trooper in Moscow.

how are you adjusting to life in the USSR?

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • If you only knew.......
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
Honestly I will never stop. Its not that Hasbro prices are up,
look at SS figs were 60 now 100+ The Empire (FED) is destroying or currency?
Look at gas, food, utils. & collectibles since SW is made by Trade Federation (China)
its going to get worse until everyone stops buying & prices will drop.
I'm not sure what size & scale of collection you have but if you have alot of
original vintage, they are pretty much the only Hasbro pieces that have real value but only if you paid what they sold for from 77-85.
During the recession? 08-12? collectibles were not devalued as 401k, stocks, IRAs,& homes were.
If you ever have to sell old stuff, sell internationally and you'll get max$ on ex. rates.
"Your arrogance blinds you."
"The ability to speak does not
        make you intelligent."

Offline RDJMChris

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +42/-0
  • Rangers Lead The Way!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 03:06:15 AM »

Your trooper in Moscow.

how are you adjusting to life in the USSR?

ФФФФФПРРРРРРР (Whoops, forgot switch back to English)

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!  I have gone to three "toy stores" and have only seen two Hasbro figures.  I can find tons of Legos and some models, but nothing else.  I do have a lead on a store that has some, though.

Other than that, life here is good.  You can eat at Chili's, TGI Friday's, McDonalds, and soon Burger King, get coffee at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.  But I prefer trying Russian places and Russian food.  We get American and British TV channels, so the adjustment for that is low.  It just needs to quit snowing and get warmer.
Chris

"Hand your ripcord grip to the Safety as you exit the aircraft."

"He's no good to me dead."

Offline Trooper JerTej

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +48/-0
  • Dang! Ewoks can't survive s@#t!!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »
I just decided to buy the definite version of a figure. Done with army building or being a completeist. Ive created a list of every character made for SW #4, #5, #6 and skipped the prequels. Opting for a "The Dark Times Display" Showcasing some characters from all the Prequels. No more repacks, troop building or even every vehicle. And someone on here said it feels great, no pressure.
Holy Smokes!!! Did you see that freakin Ewok's head come apart?

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
I think everyone has been doing some type of cut back as far as collecting goes.  It's still fun as it ever was but I think all of us have gotten over "having it all" because like Master Qui-Gon said, there's always a bigger fish!  :)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Rossk

• Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
Since wal-mart is my only outlet for figures, $10 without tax is my breaking point.  Which means its damn close.