Author Topic: Is collecting and hoarding the same thing?  (Read 9670 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
Is collecting and hoarding the same thing?
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
I don't know if any of you have seen the new show "Hoarding: Buried Alive" on TLC (or one of those channels that nobody watches) but it's basically about people who keep buying stuff and just never throw anything away.

Uhmmmm, hello... isn't that what we all do? Every day? Does that mean we are all hoarders or what? Will you see me on an episode of that show soon??  :D

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

cuyvaldar

Re: Is collecting and hoarding the same thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
Bro I watch that show on occasion.

These people keep trash, endless nonsense, and more trash.

Keeping collectibles, is no different than buying vases, pictures, furniture....I mean what do we do with all this slop after a while nothing.

My rents have endless pics, furniture, and nonsense like that down stairs in the basement.

Difference:

Those pos like furniture, pics, vases usually don't sell for jack even at yard sales.

Most collectibles, like toys, sports cards, and etc usually sell for at least something better than a dollar most times.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
I've seen that show but I sort of think that we are collectors not hoarders. Those folks have garbage and I mean like empty pizza boxes, empty bottles,glass jars etc. Those folks keeps JUNK that should be thrown away cause its no good and was used already. We are collectors of figures,busts, etc but I see their COULD be a fine line between collectors and hoarders.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:19:53 AM by VadersFist »
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Master Frank

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +15/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:53:17 AM »
Collecting and scalping is like walking the line between a Jedi and a Sith.

On one hand your buying the best condition SW item, and more often when it's first released, with the intent to preserve it. Then after time you realize that there are those that are specifically after items that are difficult to find, stockpiling them in an effort to gauge others and profit.

I think at one time we're all tempted to buy up the favorable items and put them on eBay for profit. Not much unlike the Darkside tempting the Jedi.

I became a casual collector partly due to this. I saw myself competing to get the more sought after items, but then realized how others must view me. Even if you're only buying one for your collection, or occasionally picking up another to help a friend, store employees look at you funny, etc..  At least this is what I felt. It wasn't worth it in the end to go hardcore to get every item, arriving at stores at opening, etc.. Also, after time I realized I was wasting my time running to be first, as most items eventually became regularly available.

I think sites like ST serve as a great resource for the collector, and I'm sure both the Jedi and Sith collectors contribute.

- Frank

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »
After watching a short part of that show this past weekend, my wife teased me about this very thing, and after a little ribbing, we came to the conclusion that collecting is not hoarding if displayed nicely   ;)

Those people lived in pig-styes the way their places looked and I bet a bag of donut holes, your FF Sandtrooper is not under a pair of boxers on the floor getting stepped on everyday

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline jokabofe

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +122/-0
  • Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man
    • starwarsgeek.net
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »
These people keep trash

Like ripped/cut open cardbacks and empty boxes?

endless nonsense

Like Pez dispensers, bookmarks, and cereal boxes?

and more trash.

Like Orange card and Green card POTF2 figures, 12" Hasbro stuff, and numerous other items that I have that aren't worth the plastic they are made of??

See what I'm getting at? Sure, I know that the people on those shows keep actual garbage in some instances... but so do I.

Collecting and scalping is like walking the line between a Jedi and a Sith.

Not sure if you misread my title/opening or just posted in the wrong thread Frank  ;D

Yo I'm sittin on top of the- It's more than a feeling ain't it?
I be killin damn it, I'm illin and I'm illin'
Eh eh eh meet Mr. Popular, Go get your binoculars
And see Penthouse 3 where a ni**a be
They whisperin about us
I know you haters doubt us
How you count our money we ain't even finish countin'
Pardon me I must say, I'm kinda like a big deal...

Offline Bloodant

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +98/-0
  • If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving isn't 4 you
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:27 AM »
Im hoarding toys and lots of them....and no I'm not throwing them away.... >:D

That show seemed like people were living in filth.

Do they have thier pizza boxes neatly displayed in a Deltoid? Thier old banana peels in clear plastic cases? Or thier stained chones in an action pose on the mantle?

I do not think collecting and trash hoarding are the same, but I'm sure DC can make more funny referances I am sure.  ;)
Wants
Feedback
My Blog
New Recruits
私は星戦争を愛する!

Offline Master Frank

• Senior Officer
  • Trade Feedback +15/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »
No. But the American Pickers show on HIST or DSC is funny. These people drive across the US looking to pick through others junk or collectibles. And often the items are rare, but in junk condition.  They find an item and tell you what they bought it for and then in a graphic show you how much they expect to sell it for, with the profit showing. I really doubt they profit off half their stuff. They should show how much they really sell items for not speculate.

One episode had one of guys commenting that it's not right to have someone show you other's stuff if that person who owned it wasn't there. I can buy into that as a different person can't make the decisions about  stuff that isn't theirs. Especially if there is sentimental value. Then later in the same episode, I think, one picker commented "The only reason why we're able to go through this stuff (what they were looking at that moment) is because her husband isn't home." Now that's messed up!

I don't know if any of you have seen the new show "Hoarding: Buried Alive" on TLC (or one of those channels that nobody watches) but it's basically about people who keep buying stuff and just never throw anything away.

Uhmmmm, hello... isn't that what we all do? Every day? Does that mean we are all hoarders or what? Will you see me on an episode of that show soon??  :D

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »
Maybe I'll start a new video series, STAR WARS Hoarders!  8)   I'm going to start a few miles from here with Grievous66's stuff.  You guys really gotta see this kids collection to believe it.  I don't think he could pack too much more, even with a shoe horn.  He needs one of them professional sorters to come thru I think!  :D :P 8) >:D
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Coleman Trebor

• S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • You ain't much if you ain't Dutch
    • www.gator.nl
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
I think I'm a hoarder too. It all started with collecting and now its just about buying. I don't even have space too display it. If I go someplace and haven't bought anything I feel miserable.

So if your asking me if I'm a hoarder I would have to say: Guilty!
The one and only Dirty Dutchman!!!!

Offline Longshot

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
I AM NOT A HOARDER..............Im a collector and I need help...........LOL

DO they make a 12 step program for this or what?

Reminds me of that quote from Unforgiven when hes talkin about the people hes killed. Goes something like,"I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned."

Now for us its more like............"I've collected Comics and cards. I've collected just about everything thats been sold or made at one time or another. And I'm here to collect you, sideshow Yoda and clone trooper, for the look of envy I'll see on the faces of other collectors when I post, flaunt or otherwise show off to anyone who'll look at cha."

Yup that about sums it up............ ;)

-LS

cuyvaldar

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:42:36 PM »
These people keep trash

Like ripped/cut open cardbacks and empty boxes?

endless nonsense

Like Pez dispensers, bookmarks, and cereal boxes?

and more trash.

Like Orange card and Green card POTF2 figures, 12" Hasbro stuff, and numerous other items that I have that aren't worth the plastic they are made of??

See what I'm getting at? Sure, I know that the people on those shows keep actual garbage in some instances... but so do I.

Well I don't own any pez dispensers, cereal boxes.
I don't keep my boxes, haven't in years.

And honestly bro, some people like the hasbro 12 inch stuffs(I think the 12 inch Jango is better than the rah jango I have).

As far as the orange and green card stuffs.
Some people prefer those figs because there close to the kenner figs which a lot of fans still really love.

Not everyone is looking for articualtion articulation. Personally, I feel that some figs loose out there likeness too the character or just look odd when over articulated if not done right.

So that is more of an opinion than actually truth, even if you with the value of the orange and green cards, which I know aren't worth much at all.

Offline zedhatch

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
My wife was watching that cause she was a bit conserned about my massive increase in collection the past year and a half.  However she didn't take into account we hit some major finacianal woes and the whole fam kind of went nuts after 2 years of having to hold off getting anything (and I mean anything other than the basics to survive).  We all went overboard and now are haveing to thin the herd, which is not as hard as we originally thought. Tedious but not hard.  Anyway we were no where near as bad a those people. 
http://www.zedsjoesite.com/ home of my webcomic Scale Wars, starring SW, Iron man, Marvel, DC, GI Joe and more.

Jedimom

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
I think the main difference is that collectors have something that they might get a return on someday. The boxes and cards, etc. will help further that cause (I only keep boxes for the things that really require them, like GG and Sideshow and higher-end stuff)

Hoarders have garbage -- usually quite literally...McDonald's wrappers from 12 years ago, banana peels, old papers... because they think they might NEED IT someday! And it becomes a health hazard

I like "American Pickers" show but when I watch these things I don't really think the people are "collectors" -- they're junk keepers. I think collectors for the most part try to maintain their collection, keeping it nicely displayed and somewhat tidy (not always, but try to).

My brother-in-law (sister's husband) is like that. He is a stereotypical farmer -- 6th grade education, not very well-spoken. He has sheds and barns full of CRAP! And when he runs out of room, he'll take some scrap aluminum and build a new shed. And there is NOTHING worth any value to it! Old farm implements missing parts, cars that don't run and are just rusting out sitting out side that are missing almost everything, more car parts that don't go to anything he has, and just garbage he picks up. Even if he did try to sell, he wouldn't get anything for any of his stuff, no matter how old and "antique" it might be.

Too bad they don't get cable out on the farm so they can see what the Pickers might do -- but then again it might give him incentive to get more or make him see something he has to have!

Offline zedhatch

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 07:05:45 AM »
I think the main difference is that collectors have something that they might get a return on someday.

I think if you find honest collectors, they will not say that and in fact say the opposite.  I know I have used the "investment" excuse myself, and never ment it at all.  It's a hard to argue with unless you know that once out of the box the toys pretty much lose thier value even if you keep the boxes.  Even if kept in boxes there is no way the value will get really anywhere since the "collector mentality" has become so prevalant.  I am sure that some people do the investment thing, but I know very few of them.  I noticed a few several years ago and they were very short-timers and sold thier collections off pretty soon. 
http://www.zedsjoesite.com/ home of my webcomic Scale Wars, starring SW, Iron man, Marvel, DC, GI Joe and more.

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
I'd have to say it's not, even though it IS sort of the same thing.  Hoarders deep down don't like the way they are, and maybe I can be a little full of myself sometimes but I really do like myself.  In fact I'd have no problem dying, but if I came back I would want to come back as ME!  ;D :D ;)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Wow good topic! I'd have to say it really depends on who's outside looking in. For a minimalist our toy rooms could be seen as clutter-fests... A clutter bug might find our toy rooms organized and displayed well. It really depends on who is casting the stones...

To me there are really a few types of Hoarders... A Compulsive hoarder is someone who just hangs on to things for no real reason, that appear to be useless or of limited value! Then you have your Survival hoarder... Stockpiling of stuff for any upcoming weather event or shortage/apocalypse. A Pack Rat Hoarder keeps things they believe at some time will come in handy, but might never use!

The hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining whatever items are of interest to the individual collector. A collector collects as a hobby. Sometimes an expensive hobby! But there is usually some passion that drives it... Be it Stamps, Baseball Cards, Buttons, Crystal Figurines, Salt and Pepper Shakers, China, Spoons from travels, and yes Toys! There is either nostalgia in it for the collector, or it could be what I call a forced collection... You know what I mean... Starting poor Grandma on those figurines, getting her one every time an gift giving event takes place! And forcing her to display the god awful things for all to see! Did Grandma want to start the collection? No... But she tolerates it because she loves you!

Us toy collectors... We have a hobby, it's not hoarding!! We have a community! Hoarders do not! We collector's chat with other collectors with similar interests on Internet forums (Sandtroopers!). Fellow toy collectors are usually very happy to share and help offer information with collectors old and new; this includes information about where they have been successful in their toy runs, where they have struggled and what they are looking for. We have improved the toy industry! Collecting toys, became so popular, that they are many lines marketed specifically for us (Hasbro fan choice, MOTUC, GI Joe 25th anniversary, etc). Name a hoarder who has done the same?

It's not all positive, as collecting toys can lead to other bad behaviors... If we do it to for profit only, we become Scalpers. If we do it to keep other collectors from having it, we become Evil Toy Hoarders. Taking a toy from a child is signs of an ETH!

In any event space becomes an issue... I think Mr. Carlin put it best...
"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

Jedimom

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
I'm not saying that we actually expect to sell our collections someday and get profit off of it, I am saying that we could get some money off of it IF we wanted to and/or need to. And I am not saying we would actually make a profit, but it is something other people may actually have an interest in and may buy a piece or two, even if it is below our original cost. In other words, they are items are desirable by others who may wish to acquire them.

I don't know how to word what I am trying to say  :-\

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 02:20:02 PM »
Basically unlike something as bad as a crack habit, you can actually get SOMETHING back for all your toil someday.  Or your loved ones will, after they keep what they think might be special to them.  My kids have a "list" of things in that regard, hopefully there's a long time to come before they get any of those items.

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
  • wampa's prefer eating rebels vs. imps, less armour
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
Dang jedi mom no love for us farmers.  We feed the rest of you. I Agree with what your saying about hoarding but don't lump all of us farmers together. ;D
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.

Offline zedhatch

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:49 AM »
I'm not saying that we actually expect to sell our collections someday and get profit off of it, I am saying that we could get some money off of it IF we wanted to and/or need to. And I am not saying we would actually make a profit, but it is something other people may actually have an interest in and may buy a piece or two, even if it is below our original cost. In other words, they are items are desirable by others who may wish to acquire them.

I don't know how to word what I am trying to say  :-\

Actually I think I get you but I was just pointing out how many use that same logic as an excuse rather than just admitting to being kids at heart (and there is nothing wrong with that). 

Offline pshorrock72

• Premium
  • Sith Apprentice
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • AFA is a silly excuse to scalp!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:51 AM »
the hobby can become hoarding when the boxes stack up and could bury you alive in the clutter... I hope my home never ends up like those beanie baby ladies with the walls, floor, ceilings, covered in those things... when you have to clear a path to walk through a room.. you got problems.

Offline Darth Zombius

• Spec Ops
  • Trade Feedback +8/-0
  • Four Horseman!! Awww Yeah!!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 10:16:10 AM »
the hobby can become hoarding when the boxes stack up and could bury you alive in the clutter... I hope my home never ends up like those beanie baby ladies with the walls, floor, ceilings, covered in those things... when you have to clear a path to walk through a room.. you got problems.

Agreed!
"Oh, yes. Wormheads. Twin tendrils off head. Females much yum-yum."
―Vilmarh Grahr

Jedimom

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »
Well, my collection room is getting something like that, but its a small room :/ LOL  But at least most of it is contained

Offline Major fett

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +52/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
Well personally don't feel Collecting is hoarding for the simple fact I don't buy everything, it might be considered that if you had to buy every version and every one you saw at the store and stacked it in boxes never to actually use it.
You'll soon realize I am the last of the Jedi, And your time has come to an end!

TAC Coins Needed
3, 9, 11, 34, 51, 52, 54.

Offline Dark Clone

• Sandtrooper Mod
  • S.C.A.L.P. Elite
  • Trade Feedback +6/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
I think that hoarding is when you collect things, but don't take care of what you have. You just throw it somewhere where it could get ruined.

Collecting is where you actually take care of what you have and are organized with how you keep things.

I collect comics and figures, there are in comic book boxes and put neatly into plastic tubs ;D

Offline zedhatch

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
I can't help but notice that since that YouTube video of that one guy with 3 huge storage lockers (he only went through one) and he has like 15 VvV mail away storm shadows amung tons of stuff just sitting in storage (I know he did some kind of GI joe book as well as a TF one too).

Anyway after the 7 part vid of touring his one storage bin this has come up alot all over the interwebs.  even the guy himself admitted he had too much and needed to sort it out.  I think its kind of odd how this hits so many at the same time.  Could probably do a study or something. 

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • If you only knew.......
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
I've been accused of SW hoarding. Is it still hoarding if its mostly MIB??
I've had to move 2 in past 9 yrs to get a bigger place so I limit myself to 1 of ea.
"Your arrogance blinds you."
"The ability to speak does not
        make you intelligent."

Jedimom

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
Dang jedi mom no love for us farmers.  We feed the rest of you. I Agree with what your saying about hoarding but don't lump all of us farmers together. ;D

No offense to the REAL farmers. His dad was a real farmer, but my bro-in-law is uneducated and does not even farm anymore because he can't do it efficiently enough to turn a profit. I am talking "Clem Kadidlehopper farmer"

;D

Offline darthdan

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +62/-0
  • wampa's prefer eating rebels vs. imps, less armour
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 10:54:16 PM »

No offense to the REAL farmers. His dad was a real farmer, but my bro-in-law is uneducated and does not even farm anymore because he can't do it efficiently enough to turn a profit. I am talking "Clem Kadidlehopper farmer"

;D

Yeah I hear you some farmers are great farmers and some just suck at it.   
--Darthdan     "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend greatly on our own point of view"  see my trades page here: http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=6642.0   "Tauntaun smells much better after being slow roasted and seasoned with garlic and paprika"  --Ye olde wampa cookbook.