Author Topic: Toy Hunters  (Read 3436 times)

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
Toy Hunters
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
Jan 15th the show premiers on travel channel.  It's going to be like American Pickers but for toys and I assume there will be a lot of SW toys focused episodes as the series is following around Jordan from Hollywood Heroes.  I've bought several prototype pieces from Jordan and he's a really good guy.  Looks like another source for some of my prototype figures is gonna be on the show some as well from pics that i've seen. 

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
Re: Toy Hunters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:31:53 PM »
I hadn't seen anything about that but thanks for the info. I know I will end up watching.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
Here's more info

"In the spirit of popular television shows Auction Hunters, American Pickers and Storage Wars, the Travel Channel is debuting a new series called Toy Hunters. Follow toy and collectibles dealer Jordan Hembrough and his team as they travel the country searching out the rarest and most sought after toys and pop culture collectibles. Join Jordan as he meets incredible people and learns about the history of some of the most popular toy lines in the past 30 years.

Premiering January 15th at 11:00pm on Travel Channel, the first episode of Toy Hunter features Hembrough and his Hollywood Heroes as they journey to New York Comic Con, gathering rare and never before seen toys along the way. Comic Con is the "Super Bowl" of toy wheeling and dealing, gathering thousands of people each year. It's the event where the biggest comic and toy collectors turn out to spend BIG money on the rarest toys.

Can Jordan "seal the deal" and turn his new found treasures into Toy Gold? Tune in January 15th and find out. Check your local listings."

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
I have my DVR set already and its 10pm CST so SET YOUR DVR'S MY FRIENDS.
My Collection
My Feedback

Jedimom

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »
Odd that its on so late (outside of PrimeTime)

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »
I just got me a new truck, maybe I'll byte Dave Hester's YUUUUPPP and crash a Chicago taping!  :D ;) :o 8)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Apparently it hasn't been picked up as a series yet so everyone needs to watch so ratings will be high enough that they will pick it up

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
I watched the debut episode tonight, IT was pretty good but for any real Toy Hunter of SW not too impressive in terms of telling us s**t we didn't already know...  I did dig the rare Thundercats piece, and I'd really like to see who'd pay 10k plus for ANYTHING Thundercats.  ::)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »
Yeah i dunno what he was thinking on that thundercats piece price and i laughed when he told the guy he'd pay him 5,000 for his rocket firing bobafett.  I'd buy them all day long at 5k and notice how quickly the shop owner said no to that.  I'm sure the owner knew what it was worth but to make for better tv they had him seem like he didn't.  Was awesome to hear how the owner got the fett and how much he paid.  I thought it was pretty cool.  I bought the last of Rob's (his friend in cinncinati) modern prototype collection and have dealt with an ex kenner guy named Jeff before so I wonder if that was the same guy.  I enjoyed the show and really hope the channel picks it up for a series.

I also learned something last night.  I always wondered how many green tag samples of each figure are made and now i know it's 5. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:46:51 AM by gorkoracing »

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
AND now you also know where all 5 go, which was indeed very cool.  :)

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
If they have enough interest in the show they'll make it a series so Jordan is requesting everyone to tell travel channel that you want to see more episodes

"If you guys like the show, I need your help. Log onto Travel Channel and request more episodes.. or Facebook them and let them know. ( But, really.. through the site is better)

Contact Us : Travel Channel http://www.travelchannel.com/about/viewer-relations

Thanks guys-

Jordan"

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
  • If you only knew.......
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
I watched & questioned it? seemed a little over the top? people aren't throwing $$ around like that unless there is a camera recording.
I will watch future episodes with an open mind.  Seems prices are on the high end?? We have all dealt with scalpers & it seemed they got scalped on camera for Thundercats toy?? Its TV?? I question its true authenticity. I wonder what & how much was cut/edited??
Are the prices agreed to on camera?? or different off??
"Your arrogance blinds you."
"The ability to speak does not
        make you intelligent."

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »
I watched & questioned it? seemed a little over the top? people aren't throwing $$ around like that unless there is a camera recording.
I will watch future episodes with an open mind.  Seems prices are on the high end?? We have all dealt with scalpers & it seemed they got scalped on camera for Thundercats toy?? Its TV?? I question its true authenticity. I wonder what & how much was cut/edited??
Are the prices agreed to on camera?? or different off??

You are right that the scenes were edited and Jordan will be the first to admit it.  It's also a bit "scripted" as to reactions such as the shop owner knew good and well how much that fett was worth.  The thundercats piece is legit and is a resin hardcopy of an unproduced piece.  while he didnt get his asking price of 17k for it he did say that he's working on a sale of it for 13k.  The guy who bought the rocket fett also was there for 3 hours looking at it and talking price with jordan.  Someone also made a comment to jordan that the guy who bought it looked like he regretted it right after and didn't look like he could even afford it, well that guy who bought it I saw is the founder of the tapout cloathing line and is reportedly very happy with his purchase.  I thought they did well on the prices.  The electronic sw game the seller put a crazy high price on seemingly because it was vintage star wars, he quickly let him know that it wasnt worth that and gave him 100 for it.  the other stuff he was getting for 20 and 30 bucks and only making 15-20 on the sale of them.  Seems a bit more true to life to me.  Yes holy grail prototypes are worth a fortune but the every day run of the mill stuff was presented as just something to make a few bucks off of.

I'm a bit biased because i've dealt with Jordan before and the 2-3 dealings have been great.  He came at me with good prices on our last dealing and then offered me a bundle package for an amazing price. pretty much buy what i was gonna buy anyway and he threw in another and some extra freebies for 25% more.  At celebration 5 he was a complete stranger to me and I got 3 hardcopy heads from him for about $80 if i remember correctly...the last hardcopy head i bought from a collector "friend" of mine ran me $80-90. 

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:10 AM »
I kept thinking while watching: What would I do/say to negotiate a price?? These guys were buying to resell, I'd be buying to keep & that
changes your tactics & pricing completely. In this economy how many people are going to throw $$$ around like that on toys to keep??
I have noticed over past 3 years the amount of old toys have drastically increased by collectors from all genres on ebay & other sites because
they are selling everything to live & survive.  I recently inquired on a HUGE superior SW collection, all for sale, everything has got to go.
I was going to spend alot of $$$ on some things? but he threw away all packaging? I can't speak for all collectors but I want items that are
MIB? or have box? so I can I open them, if I choose too??especially hi-end collectibles. If he'd kept packaging?? I'd spent 3k+ easy.
I look forward to more episodes, hope its Star Wars heavy?
        make you intelligent."

Jedimom

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
Not a bad show. They have to expalin things for everyone to understand - while we might know what's going on, Joe Schmo down the street may not know a Boba Fett from Frankenstein. I just hope prices won't go through the roof because they have "Star Wars" so it must be worth a lot (even though its missing limbs, weapons, and was buried in dog poo for years. (Of course its already like that, but hope it doesn't get worse).

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »
I'm hoping that point was communicated well enough in his offers.  Yes a prototype of an unproduced star wars figure holy grail sold for 17,000 BUT a boxed vintage star wars electronic game sold for 100...notice how the seller/owner/exkenner employee said he'd take 1000 for it or something like that possibly trying to show the mentality of people who think because it's sw it's worth it's weight in gold.  I kinda wish Jordan would have been able to say that to everyone but it was demonstrated in the show.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
So lets just hope that he have a show. I DID NOT like the "MASK" COMMENT that it was a precurser to transformers but I guess he don't know much about transformers history either.
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »
See I thought that too, Transformers were 1984 and M.A.S.K. was a year or two later I'm pretty sure.

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 12:04:59 AM »
UH YEAH cause when it comes to transformers I AM the man on knowing pretty much just about anything. If I don't know it right off hand I can find it pretty quickly. But MASK is NOT a precurser to TF's and as a matter of fact diaclones and go-bots where actually the precurser to transformers.

See I thought that too, Transformers were 1984 and M.A.S.K. was a year or two later I'm pretty sure.
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 02:59:26 AM »
Ah, you better ease up on 'em VF!  :D ;)  I'm just happy to see a show on TV that involves the hobby, and hopefully it can get picked up because I'd like to see how far it'd go.

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
Yes there were a couple of errors in the show and Jordan admits this that being one.  The bit about the ewoks history being another and the ewok carded sample where he says that wicket is blacked out is actually not a blacked out wicket.  These were done in takes like every show.  They did several takes and some of the takes with error comments made it into the show as they were shot better.  I too am just happy to hopefully see a new show geared towards our hobby.

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 07:48:13 AM »
If?? they can make a profit? more power to them. All I have ever done is spent? way more than a sane man.
I am interested to see what all they cover, at my moms there are alot of old toys from Gobots, TFs,old superhero megos,
6million$ man stuff & old BSG
        make you intelligent."

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 12:00:31 AM »
OH Spice,.. I AM ALSO excited that this brings LIGHT to our hobby and that we so called NERDS are brought to light to other people to show them what we REALLY do and that is collect figures and are VERY passionet about it at that. I am not upset that he pointed out facts wrong or anything but the fact that I am GLAD hes even doing a show based on toys is awsome. Hell,... I even spreaded the word to other forums through gorkys threads cause thats how much I LOVE the show. THE ONLY other show I can rememeber was back in 06" when VH1 did a show called "I LOVE TOYS" and it only lasted about 4 weeks since it was 4 shows. Anyone remember seeing the show "I LOVE TOYS" on vh1.
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline gorkoracing

• Premium
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +3/-0
    • My Collection
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
"HollywoodHeroes

Just an update... Travel is re-airing the show this Sunday. Jan 29th at 6pm.

We're tying to catch lighting a bottle for the second time folks... please come out and support the show. If we do well... they can't deny us.

Spread the word and let everyone know.

Best-
Jordan "

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
Thanks the info will spread the word on other forums.
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline jacensolo66

• Premium
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +82/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
saw on rebelscum and toysnewi this was picked up for a series. just an fyi.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:31:52 PM by jacensolo66 »

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
Yeah I seen that and pretty glad they did so lets see what happens.
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26:36 AM »
Did they move Toy Hunters?? Travel channel had"Mud people"?? on Sun nite & no listings for it.?!
        make you intelligent."

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:35 PM »
No, actually it was JUST picked up for a 12 episodes from what TNI was reporting and that episode was JUST A PILOT episode. The deal was that the show had to get pass 500k views when it was shown and it made it so it got picked up. NO word YET as to when the FIRST OTHER episodes will start showing but the show will ONLY be a half hr show at that when they DO start airing.
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline Lord-Penter

• Bounty Hunter
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »
watched Cincy pre NY Comicon, & am amazed at how low he buys & hi he sells for?! I'd be buying to keep all SW at those prices.
The fact I find most interesting is that the real monetary value is exposed? If he's buying at those prices?
He is good at it & if he can make $ at it, which he does. more power to him. I love watching it.
WHY!! is 6 Million Dollar man stuff everywhere? Its weird to me? I have complete set at my moms including bigfoot + same old BSG figs?!
They were on Comic Book Men too?
        make you intelligent."