Author Topic: Changed Collecting Has:  (Read 14013 times)

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
Re: Changed Collecting Has:
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 09:27:49 AM »
Need Input From Collectors,

We would like to form groups of collectors for each collectible line to advise us on that line. Here is what our thoughts are so far...

1. The name of the program would "The Board of Collectors."
2. There would be a board for every major line we carry and those we are considering such as Star Wars, Halo, Transformers, GI Joe, etc.
3. The same person could be on more than one board.
4. There would be some type of application process. Obviously, you need to know a lot about the collectible line on whose board you are sitting.
5. Each Board would advise THE COLLECTORATE directly on that line.
6. The Board could also be a source of information for other collectors in that area.
7. There would be no cost to become a member of a Board.
8. Board members would enjoy benefits from membership that would aid them in their collecting. This could range from discounts, to special advance notice of events, to drawings for giveaways.
9. We will also have clubs for each line, but the Board would be beyond that level of involvement.

Need your input on...

A. How do we decide who becomes a "Board Member?"
B. How many folks can be on any one board, or is it unlimited?
C. What are your thoughts on what this board would do?
Any other thoughts welcome...

Thanks for your interest in THE COLLECTORATE.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »
Opps, forgot to add this...

If you are interested in becoming a Board Member, please e-mail us at main@thecollectorate.com or send us a personal message and tell us which lines you would like to be considered for a Board position. As soon as we have the application process figured out, we will contact you further.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »
Here are the comments of another collector regarding the Board of Collectors:

Very cool idea, here are some of my thoughts:

Member can be a member of only one board (so if they collect Star Wars and Halo, they can only be on one if approved)

Have a fixed amount on the board, and an odd amount so that voting is easy. Maybe 13 collectors for each board, with a pretty even mix of both loose and carded collectors and fans.

The members MUST be active in some collecting community (be it here or at another site), and have a good pulse on whats coming out, case breakdowns, arrival dates, if the item is a re-pack/rehash, etc.

The members need to "remove the passion", and by that I mean if you are a HUGE Boba fan and a case with 12 new bobas is just what you have been waiting for, it may not be what the community as a whole would like, where they would like to see 12 new figures. So you need to check your passion for a specific character or item at the door.

Here are our thoughts:

Thanks so much!

This is just the kind of input we need. We have begun to have collectors e-mail us with interest in becoming members of the Board of Collectors. We encourage folks who are interested to send us a note and get on the list, but we are going to figure our all the particulars of the program before we make final decisions.

You are correct that Board members will be voting on issues and having an odd number on each board is a good idea. We also like the idea of having a set number for each board. It makes the program more meaningful. Of course each board will eventually have a chairperson to administer the board. The folks on each board won't be just there for show, there will be real stuff to do.

Thanks for the input.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 02:11:10 PM »
Just a note to let everyone know...

The Kentucky Star Wars Collectors Club will be holding their 2008 Fall Festival on Saturday, October 18th.
It is their annual gathering of all state regions in a celebration of Star Wars Collectibles.
If you're in the area, they invite you to come to the festival and check them out in person. In addition to give-aways, the festival will feature food, trading, games for kids, and a presentation by Kenner / Hasbro photographer Kim Simmons, "The Man Who Shot Luke Skywalker." The festival will be at Faith Lutheran (1000 Tates Creek Rd., Lexington) from 1-6 p.m. on October 18th.

You can find more information at their website. www.kswcc.com

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »
Our Splash Page, www.THECOLLECTORATE.com has been updated to include an article on the Opt Out Program and the Board Of Collectors.

Collectors interested in applying for the Board Of Collectors can access the online Board Application right from the Board article.

Members of the SANDTROOPERS.COM Forums have already applied. Think you have what it takes? Don't be shy, go ahead and apply.

In the near future, you might wish you had.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:32:24 PM by The Collectorate »

Offline Vadersfist

• Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +59/-0
  • TIME STAND STILL
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 12:37:06 AM »
I have some ideas, just let me know what to do, but they do pertain to the Transformers G1 line though since thats my most talented area.
Transformers,...Robots in disguise!
My Collection
My Feedback

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:58 AM »
A number of collectors have mentioned Transformers. We will be forming a Transformers board.

If you are interested in applying for the Board Of Collectors, please visit our splash page and go to the Board Of Collectors article. There is a link at the bottom of the article to the Board Application.

If you have ideas regarding Transformers you would like to share, you can e-mail us directly at main@thecollectorate.com.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
The Weekly Update That Will Appear On Sandtroopers.com today or Tuesday...

Continuing our series on site features as each is created:

Dynamic Abbreviations

There are a lot of abbreviations associated with Star Wars collecting. Heck, any collecting for that matter. The abbreviations that collectors encounter can be a challenge if you don't know what they mean. There are not a lot of sources to help learn them. In most cases, if an explanation of the abbreviations exists on a site it can be hard to find and the list is not right with you when you see an abbreviation you don't know. MOC, MISB, ARC, ODST? These abbreviations in the product listing can be real important in choosing what you want and getting the right item.

THE COLLECTORATE website will feature what we’ll call Dynamic Abbreviations. While you are visiting our website there will be a small box in the same place on every page that will provide you with definitions to common collecting abbreviations. But it gets better! This system is smart. It checks to see what you are looking at and gives you definitions that are relevant to each page.

If you are looking at the listing for a Star Wars ARC Trooper, it will include what ARC stands for. If you are looking at a Halo ODST Figure, it will include what ODST stands for. But it will also tell you that MOC means Mint On Card

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
We wanted to give folks on the forum a heads up...

Big Screen Shot Reveal Coming Monday 11/24!

A News Article on Sandtroopers.com this Monday 11/24 will show never before seen screen shots of THE COLLECTORATE website nearing completion...

1. The most recent front page with never before seen features!

2. The never before seen product page with all the features!

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 02:11:23 PM »
New screen shots up now!!

www.THECOLLECTORATE.com :o ;D

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 09:02:48 PM »
Here is a sneak peak for forum members of this week's news post:

THE COLLECTORATE ANNOUNCES:
NEW COLLECTOR PROGRAMS

SPEAK YOUR MIND: The Collectorate Feedback
An e-mail type system that allows collectors to provide input and feedback on everything including new collectible lines they want us to carry. There is no cost for the program. The program will be easily accessed via a button appearing in the right column on our website under the "Collector Programs" section on all pages.

I WANT TO KNOW: The Collectorate Notifications
An e-mail based system that allows collectors to sign up and receive notifications on new product listings and collecting info based upon their areas of interest. They can manage their preferences and change them at will. There is not cost for this program. The program will be easily accessed via a button that will appear in the right column on our website under the "Collector Programs" section on all pages.

Both programs will have incentives associated with membership!

YOU CAN SEE THE COLLECTOR PROGRAM BUTTONS IN THE FRONT PAGE AND PRODUCT PAGE SCREEN SHOTS AT www.THECOLLECTORATE.com.

Offline Boba-Brett

• Sergeant
  • Trade Feedback +19/-0
  • REALLY I'm well!..I just didn't take my medication
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
Hey Congratulations on the big addition to the family, Dustin!!!
Hope everyone is doing well and happy. :chewie:
LISTEN!!!..........DO YOU SMELL THAT?!

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »
One of the owners of THE COLLECTORATE, Dustin and his wife Lisa just welcomed a baby boy yesterday...

Paul Joseph
Born 2/25/08 at 4:08pm
9lbs 10oz.
22 inches

Congrats!! ;D

Offline Lt. Starfox

• Pink 4 Me
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +408/-0
  • Boomstick !
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »
congratulations on the new addition!

I'm all out of bubble gum.....

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »
Bravo and wish them best of luck with that "sleep" thing!  ;) :D ;D  Big congrats for sure though, it's all worth it!!!  :)
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 07:24:52 PM »
Hello all,

We are still alive and well. More medical problems with my mother have slowed our progress, but we are making progress.

We have tested and tested our inventory system and the upload to the site. It looks like all the bugs are gone and late this week the first 4,000 real items will be uploaded. As soon as they are up we will begin uploading pics.

We are not going anywhere. We just want to make sure we are ready when we open.

I also need your help on another topic. One of our distributors called me today because they know we talk to a lot of collectors through forums. This distributor is asking for our feedback on their Exclusive Joker Squad set.

Here is a chance to get your input directly to the big wigs...

Have you bought the Joker Squad set?
If not, are you planning to buy it?
If you have it, what do you like?
What don't you like?

Let us know what you think.

Thanks and keep the faith, we are going to open. You will hear about it first right here.

Dustin & Hugh
The Collectorate
By Collectors, For Collectors
www.THECOLLECTORATE.com

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
One area that we really have not discussed on the forms much is cases or sets of figures and how we will sell them on our site. Here are my thoughts on the topic.

1. When I hear the word "case" it makes be think of a wave case box of figures just as it comes from the factory. The problem with selling "cases" is that so many of the wave cases contain duplicates of some figures. I would think most collectors just want one of each different figure.

2. When I hear the word "set" it makes me think of "one of each figure." My thought is that we would sell "sets" not "cases."

3. When I research the pricing for "cases" or "sets" that other retail online stores charge, many times the "per figure" price is more if you buy the set than if you bought them as individuals. That just isn't right! There should be a discount for buying the case or set because you are buying more. I really feel strongly that there should be this incentive of a lower "per figure" price if you buy a "set."

4. Selling by the "set" allows us to pick figures out of cases based upon quality. In other words we could offer a complete set all with a shield rating of 4.5 and a much lower price for a complete set all with a shield rating of say 2.0. That way if you want the high quality 4.5 packaging, you can have a benefit for buying the whole set. And if you just want to open them and don't care about the packaging, you can still get the benefit of buying the whole set.

Do you agree? What are your ideas?

Thanks,

Hugh & Dustin
The Collectorate
By Collectors, For Collectors
www.THECOLLECTORATE.com

Offline Darth Spice

• Sandtrooper Admin
  • Sith Lord
  • Trade Feedback +65/-0
  • W. Axl Spice
    • Sandtroopers.com
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 10:30:38 AM »
Hugh,
     We have merged a couple of topics to have 3 pages of input on the set, and we have featured this in our guides. I think it was met with mixed opinions to be honest.

http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=11137.msg202313#msg202313

There will be problems with selling a "set" because there will always be Clones, Jawas, Troopers, Officers or any other kind of builder you can think of, maybe you can plan to address that too. Will you offer a bonus for buying more Troops since you are buying more?

As far as packages are concerned, I think most will handle a ding or spider-crease here and there. What has to be the prime focus is cost per figure. I saw a report yesterday that Hasbro lost last quarter, even though Star Wars sales were high. The price issue has to be addressed, as they shouldn't be trying to charge more, but LESS in high hopes to keep people around for the long haul. Instead we hear about how high fuel is coupled with more bulls**t reasons the price of a basic figure is close to 8 bucks retail. That really puts a cramp on online retailers I'm sure.
There will come a time when your training ends. There will come a day when you have learned all the lessons, when all my knowledge of the dark side will be yours. On that day you will challenge me for the title of Master, and only one of us will survive the encounter.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »
What if there was a standard discount based upon the number of figures purchased together. Let's say for example if you bought 5 the total was reduced by a percentage or dollar amount. There could be a scale with incentives at 5, 8, 12 figures or whatever. That way you get rewarded the more you buy, but you can mix and match any figures you wanted same wave or not.

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2009, 03:54:02 AM »
In preparation for announcing our opening date, we are about to select the members of our first Star Wars Board of Collectors.

If you think you have what it takes to be a board member it is not too late to fill out an application, but you better hurry and get it in.

Go to our splash site at www.THECOLLECTORATE.com and click on the "Board of Collectors" link and fill out and submit a board application this week.

More News Coming Soon!

Hugh & Dustin

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
You can now follow The Collectorate on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/TheCollectorate

Get daily updates as we are now just weeks away from launch!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:21:50 AM by The Collectorate »

Offline The Collectorate

• Sponsor
  • Junior Trooper
  • Trade Feedback +0/-0
    • The Collectorate
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
Change Begins...

Opening Day Is At Hand!!

November 16

Monday Night At Midnight!! ;D ;D